1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

will 301 redirect from example.com to www.example.com hurt my ranking

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sakib000, Jun 8, 2007.

many seo site recommend to do a .htaccess 301 redirect from example.com to www.example.com because they say if you have 50 links to example.com and 100 links to www.example.com then search engine wiil count it 150 links to www.example.com because of this redirect.

But there are some many who say search engines can penalize these sites. What should i do.

sakib000, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  2. Blackmane

Blackmane Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that search engines count example. com and www. example.com as two different sites, i'm not sure.

What i think will happen is there will be drop for a bit but soon they will figure out that the links point to the same site and your ranking should go up.

I could be wrong.

Blackmane, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  3. boron

boron Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You just do a 301. Google will treat then both domains as the same. You can also specify your prefered domain in Google webmaster tools, without need to redirect.

boron, Jun 8, 2007 IP
    sakib000 likes this.
  4. sakib000

sakib000 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for answer

sakib000, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  5. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You won't get penalised at all. Everyone does it so they have the same PR on both versions

htmlindex, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  6. georgescifo

georgescifo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that your site will drop, rather this is the best practice for any website.

georgescifo, Feb 6, 2012 IP
  7. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will not hurt. It can only help. Allowing your pages to be rendered and indexed using multiple URLs is a BAD thing from an SEO perspective. It leads to split PageRank/link juice and duplicate content. If you don't understand this then I would suggest you read the following post: http://www.canonicalseo.com/url-canonicalization/

Canonical, Feb 6, 2012 IP