1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think people shop for apparel online a lot?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by jv170, Jan 12, 2012.

I'm thinking to start selling clothing online. I never met anyone who did it.

Do people shop a lot for apparel online? Do you think selling apparel online can be profitable?

jv170, Jan 12, 2012 IP
  2. Yara

Yara Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yea...A LOT...That's why you see so many online shops selling apparel. I would say it's quite saturated, sometimes you can even see many shops selling the same piece of clothing. Unless you offer something really unique or have a very good selling point, it will be difficult to stand out and gather a following.

Have you seen the adwords cpc for apparel related keywords? Urgh.

Yara, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  3. jv170

jv170 Member

Best Answers:
    no I haven't.

jv170, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  4. Alexander P.

Alexander P. Peon

Best Answers:
    You should start researching more about your products and your possible competitors online for clothing and apparel. Checking the competition for some related keywords will also let you know if there are a good number of audience that you can compete with in such product.

Alexander P., Jan 13, 2012 IP
  5. goupilandcie

goupilandcie Peon

Best Answers:
    Our family here only buys apparel online, so yes there is a huge audience. The issue you are going to have is there is lots of competition, so you are going to have to focus on ranking well and by setting yourself apart from those competitors (better products/prices/whatever).

goupilandcie, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  6. skylar_seo

skylar_seo Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not suggest this niche. People can't try out clothes online so you will have to get or HUGE loads of traffic or a solution for that problem. You can also contact us anytime for SEO to rank your page #1.

skylar_seo, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  7. tjcreation

tjcreation Peon

Best Answers:
    I think so many people buy apparel online that it's an over-saturated area. Almost every major online retailer sells apparel as one of their products. Even unique items are covered by sites such as ThinkGeek.com and CafePress.com. If you want to create a product and sell it online, you should probably work through an existing website. If you simply want to buy others' products and re-sell them like most retailers do...you're in for a tough ride.

tjcreation, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  8. 5Twenty

5Twenty Peon

Best Answers:
    We have a couple pretty large customers that are apparel stores online. 1 of them is online only actually. Anyway, this is a pretty big business, but it comes with a lot of head ache to.

First - Your cost of inventory is outrageous.

Don't think you're going to dropship your way to success, it wont work. There are a billion and one people out there that are trying the same thing with all the same products. About the only way you can make drop shipping work is if you find a product line that no one else knows about. That means a lot of research and calling companies directly.

Second - The competition is incredible intense.

Like I said above, everyone and their mother is trying to do this. You're going to be going up against guys that spend $150-$300k on just putting up their online store. So be prepared to spend some money on advertising, software, and coming up with either a niche or a really good value prop.

Third - Be Unique

If you can design or have a fun idea you might stand a change. Making your own product versus selling someones elses will get you the biggest margins. It's also going to get you traction faster. People are looking for stuff that is fun and unique so start there if you can.

Fourth - Customer Service / Time

E-commerce online is enormously time consuming. A lot of that has to do with customer service. Your customers are going to have a lot of questions you will need to answer quickly, and problems too. You also need to be ready for a significant amount of returns. People can't try clothes on before they order them, so be prepared for them to come back when they don't fit, don't fit right, or are they just changed their mind.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions feel free to PM me.

5Twenty, Jan 15, 2012 IP
    hhsaus likes this.
  9. james080

james080 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nowadays online shopping is the trend. It will be a wise decision, if you create this type of sites. Your customer base will increase. But you have to consult a seo professional, if you want to make your site more visible in internet.

james080, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  10. BoBo_184

BoBo_184 Peon

Best Answers:
    more and more people are buying clothes online... and the big fashion retailers are all seeing rapid growth in their online sales

however, out of all the possible products people can buy online, clothes is probably the trickiest due to the fact that buyer can't try them on before they buy... they have to rely on size guides and hope the clothes/shoes will actually fit well... what makes it even more tricky is that different countries use different size scales... a size 9 in the US is not a size 9 in the UK and the rest of EU uses another size...

I've bought shoes that don't fit properly because the sizes in different countries are so different so I am quite cautious about buying online when it comes to clothes and shoes

For almost everything else, it is both cheaper and easier to shop online and more and more people are doing that now. I think other than groceries, 80 - 90% of my purchases are online.

BoBo_184, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  11. sphinx498

sphinx498 Member

Best Answers:
    yes definitely people shop a lot for buying apparels online.....

sphinx498, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  12. BassHead

BassHead Peon

Best Answers:
    I have three sisters, and all of them max their credit cards buying apparel online. Tons of people love to shop for that stuff online.

BassHead, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  13. sandeey

sandeey Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes i agree this people are so fast so they are going through it... great and fantastic article sir, we've got guidelines from this like you've said that if we're in France there could be a lots of ways to learn and to do things, very nice article and thanks for sharing your valuable thoughts with us.

sandeey, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  14. Ella_Z.

Ella_Z. Peon

Best Answers:
    People are shopping really a lot online and to my mind, all purchases soon will be done online. In case you're a pioneer in one of the branches, that's really cool - you'll have much more advantages than others in the future. Sop, don't be afraid to start your online store!

Ella_Z., Jan 22, 2012 IP
  15. wilyjose

wilyjose Active Member

Best Answers:
    In some countries people shop online for almost all their needs. So you should do a market research first and determine whether people in your country are comfortable doing online purchases.

wilyjose, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  16. billwright

billwright Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's all going to be about sticking out... selling stuff that other's done. There are a LOT of people selling white t-shirts and you'll never be know for it. You need to sell something that others aren't to beat prices if you can find super cheap suppliers. But yes, people purchase a lot online!!

billwright, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  17. aric22

aric22 Peon

Best Answers:
    Online shopping is the best medium to earn or to buy clothes and apparels. Google your search and you may find lots of links who are deals in it. yebhi.com, www.padillasport.com, www.ebay.com all these sites are dealing in it.

aric22, Jan 26, 2012 IP
  18. LiveDigi

LiveDigi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nowadays it's more easier to just go to an online store, shop what you want and have it delivered to your home for a small fee.

LiveDigi, Jan 26, 2012 IP
  19. gsoptimization

gsoptimization Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely YES!

gsoptimization, Feb 6, 2012 IP
  20. Cristina001

Cristina001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Online shopping is the best method to save your time.

Cristina001, Feb 6, 2012 IP