1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

will click through get you higher position?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Winagain, Nov 9, 2006.

A friend of mine insists that click throughs will get better ranking.

let say we have two competitors with the almost the same content and backlinks.
    They compite for a search term.

The one that gets the most clicks will get a better ranking.

I think that's false, because it would be very easy to influence those results, but tell me if I am wrong and I should apologize to my friend.

Winagain, Nov 9, 2006 IP
    seojig likes this.
  2. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it's an intresting point about the google but i can not say it's false . google is crazy search engine.

some people are saying that google looking for over 200 point to get the search result

trichnosis, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  3. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Instead of ranking you should worry about "duplicate contents" penalty.: rolleyes:

Mong, Nov 9, 2006 IP
    seojig likes this.
  4. bilzo

bilzo Peon

Best Answers:
    AFAIK Google can and does track click through via the Google toolbar, along with time spent on page and whether a user bookmarks the page so I would suppose it does factor these in to it's ranking algorithm!

Bill

bilzo, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  5. Double_Spyder

Double_Spyder Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it does...

Double_Spyder, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  6. stimpsy

stimpsy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'll notice that sometimes, the links in the results directly point to the target website, and sometimes the link points to the google domain, with a redirect to the target website.

They certainly do this for a reason. If this factor is not directly used in the algo, it is most certainly indirectly used.

stimpsy, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  7. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    No one knows.

I believe that the general consensus in the SEO community is that it is not likely that they do. However, the patent application document that surfaced a year or so ago included at least one claim about using clicks as a factor. But, just because it was included does *not* mean that they do now, or ever will, use that information.

/tom/

longcall911, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  8. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen a page of mine rise to the top for a popular keyword (myspace related) slowly but surely - and I do think that has to do with click-through rates.

kh7, Nov 11, 2006 IP
  9. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know what you are thinking, but this is a merely an academic question. I don't have two sites with the same or similar content

The discussion came because I am trying to figure out why my rankings on google are slipping against other competitors.

Winagain, Nov 11, 2006 IP
  10. hazelj80

hazelj80 Guest

Best Answers:
    agreed. everything is just specualation and good guessing when it comes to SE algorithims. even if it happens in ones case, doesn't mean it's true for all cases.

Everytime someone says "i believe this" or "i believe that" i go and back check what they say and sometimes they're right, sometimes they aren't. so when it comes to this stuff, i just do what makes sense and try not to overthink or over-analyze this stuff cause the answers are ususally right in front our faces the whole time but by nature have a hard time believing that some things can be just that simple

just my .02

hazelj80, Nov 11, 2006 IP
  11. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it has to do with clickthrough either. Sites in the first places for keyword would receive more clicks everytime, so other sites would't stand a change by not being in first place and not receiving clicks.

Winagain, Nov 11, 2006 IP
  12. hazelj80

hazelj80 Guest

Best Answers:
    that's the common sense i'm talking about :)

hazelj80, Nov 11, 2006 IP
    Winagain likes this.
  13. Hossam

Hossam Peon

Best Answers:
    The short version answer is NO.

But when google makes a big change (an algorithm udate. i.e, florida update), they do place a statistical counter on the search results instead of a direct link. Even in that case the reason behind that is monitoring the quality of the SERPs, not ranking sites based on clicks.

Hossam, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  14. freezer003

freezer003 Peon

Best Answers:
    My opinion is that more clicks from google search you have, the higher position in search engine you have. I notice that only on specified keywords for my website but it really works so just try to click 1000 times on your website in the results of search.. you will see the effect in a few moments ;) keep it secret ;P

freezer003, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  15. iblaine

iblaine Peon

Best Answers:
    The general answer is no, G doesn't look at click activity to influence your rankings...but a few months ago a research paper was found that listed about 120 different factors that can be used to rank results such as the time spent on a website. If you do a search on G, click a link then come back to the same Google page a few seconds later, G knows you didn't find what you were looking for...

iblaine, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  16. 1internet

1internet Peon

Best Answers:
    The higher your site is in the SERPs the better is position will be. Google does not track click throughs so they would not rank sites higher with better CTRs.

1internet, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  17. SEOIndian

SEOIndian Peon

Best Answers:
    if google is tracking the click throughs and the duration of stay on a particular website, aren't they encoraching the user's privacy rights ?

How do they track the duration of stay, if the user do not have google tool bar installed ?

SEOIndian, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  18. 1internet

1internet Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo tracks clicks, and MSN used to, Google does very, very occassionaly, and I havent seen them do it for a while.

1internet, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  19. committed2u

committed2u Peon

Best Answers:
    interesting idea. it could be, we all know that we can see from our server web log, our visitors path (origin site/entry and destination site/).
    you know, google search result page has script tag all over the page. do a search and see the page source at the page result. definitely not just simple html links in tables.

committed2u, Sep 14, 2007 IP
  20. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    This is an old idea, but the problem with it is the likelihood of manipulation. The owner of a site could train thousands of robots or monkeys to repeatedly click on their site's entry in the SERPs.

billybw, Sep 14, 2007 IP