1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adwords Conversion Tracking Vs Google Analytics Conversion Goals : Which one to use?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by ramki, Mar 16, 2007.

Hi,

In Adwords, there is one feature called Conversion Tracking to track conversion. In Google Analytics, there is a feature called Conversion Goals to track conversion. I integrated Google Analytics with Adwords. I am confused now. My question is

1. Which conversion Tool I want to use know? Adwords Conversion or Analytics Conversion

2. In What way the two tool differs with each other.

Please Help!

Regards
    Ramakrishnan

ramki, Mar 16, 2007 IP
  2. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Conversion tracking in AdWords is simply for your PPC ads. Conversion goals can be these, but also other conversion goals you set on your website, such as any visitor that comes and registers for your newsletter

frankcow, Mar 16, 2007 IP
    Mong likes this.
  3. seostew

seostew Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Frankcow is right. Use both. Since you are paying for AdWords, I would be concerned about getting conversion codes on it set up first, so you know your cost per conversion or how much money you have to spend in order to obtain a sign up, lead, or sale.

After that, define your conversion path, the normal path someone would take through your site to reach the page you consider a conversion. Conversions are called Goals in Google Analytics. The difference is, you can see where a user bailed out of the path down to the page. If a certain page has a high bail rate, there must be something that is repelling users, or not keeping his/her interest.
    Use this number to determine how well you lead browsers into buyers, and then test and do things to improve it.

seostew, Mar 16, 2007 IP
  4. Justinmg77

Justinmg77 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree! Use both. For adwords, adwords conversion tracking is more vital to your success because you see near-real time data on campaign level, ad group level, and for individual keywords and ad copy. Use the conversion tracking tab, or the conversion tracking section under tools to do this. All you need to do is install the few lines of javascript in the "thank you" page that follows a lead or sale.

For analytics make sure the snippet of javascript is installed on every page of the site within the body tags, and setup a conversion goal. This will track all conversions from everywhere on the site, paid and organic. A strong benefit of this is you can see which organic keywords are working best over time and combine the paid and organic data to make the most lucrative campaign possible. Yes yes.. BOTH!

Justinmg77, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  5. Michaelr

Michaelr Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to be able to see what are adwords clicks in analystics then go into account preferences and tick the tagging button in the tracking section. That way you can clearly see what was paid and what was unpaid.

Michaelr, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  6. Crazymady

Crazymady Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of the major diffrence between Adwords and google analytics is that
    Adwords leave cookie for 30 days and GA leaves is for 6 months

1. In Adwords if a user clicks your ad on 1st and buys the shoes 15th of next month, GA will count it as adwords sale where as adwords will not at all count it

2. In Adwords if a user clicks your ad on 1st and buys the shoes 15th of same month, GA will count it as adwords sale on 15th whereas adwords will count it as a sale for 1st

Hope this clears your doubt

Crazymady, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  7. AgrInd

AgrInd Peon

Best Answers:
    Great information Crazymady. I did not know that the Analytics cookies didn't expire for 6 months.

I have been using Adwords tracking and Analytics tracking but only concerning different goals. Now I can start using Analytics to enhance my tracking.

Thanks.

AgrInd, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  8. shotodekel

shotodekel Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow thanks for the information. I didn't know about the different time the cookie remains. Thanks Crazymady!

shotodekel, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  9. Crazymady

Crazymady Active Member

Best Answers:
    note: you can also increase or decrease the cookie expiring time for google analytics

Crazymady, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  10. andertonj

andertonj Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm still confused between goals and conversions? Is there any thing goal in adwords or it is only in Google Analytics?

andertonj, Jan 25, 2012 IP
  11. asimfarooq633

asimfarooq633 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Google Analytic is the best tool to use and you can see all incoming traffic with keywords, with location, browsers and so many things. In fact, you can get a complete idea about the traffic statistics, while Google Ad words tracking code usually installed to track PPC (Pay per click) conversions and you can get idea that how many conversions you have received....

Important:- We should install Google Analytic mostly at the file that should be include in all the pages of any website like we can say that footer file remains the same in the whole site so we can easily install gogle analytic code in the footer file... However we should install the Google ad words code in the page where we are throwing PPC traffic actually....

Let me know

asimfarooq633, Jan 25, 2012 IP
  12. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are basically the same thing. They just use different terminology.

In Adwords, a conversion is any action (goal) reached by the visitor. Usually, this is an online sale but could be anything such as a newsletter signup or a file download. I've seen some put the tracking code on their Contact Us page, particularly if they don't sell physical products (chiropractors as an example) or the type of business where the price varies (roofers).

A goal in Analytics is usually the same. You just want to track when a visitor has visited certain pages such as when a sale is confirmed.

Lucid Web Marketing, Jan 28, 2012 IP
  13. Yo-Yo32

Yo-Yo32 Peon

Best Answers:
    My understanding is that AdWords conversion only monitors traffic that started from someone clicking on ad, whereas GA goal conversion monitors all traffic. Both are therefore very useful and both should be used.

Yo-Yo32, Jan 30, 2012 IP
  14. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, a conversion in Adwords will only come from someone clicking your ad. That's the whole point, to count only conversions as a result of displaying ads, not organic or natural traffic. Conversions show in Adwords down to the ad and keyword level and that is very useful. Using only Analytics, you would not be able to easily tell this.

Lucid Web Marketing, Jan 30, 2012 IP
  15. andertonj

andertonj Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you guys...I've also researched and got some points and I would like to discuss with you guys.

Goals are set up in Analytics, where you can set an URL as the Goal URL and when users reach this page, they are recorded as Goal Conversions.

Conversions (only), on the other hand are set up in the AdWords account, where you add the conversion code to only the Conversion URL (like Goal URL in Analytics), and when users click on your ad and reach this page, a conversion (for AdWords clicks) is recorded in AdWords.

In principle, you cannot set up Conversion tracking for non AdWords links or URLs, but you can do so with Goals which is in general for your website and records goal conversions from any source (organic, cpc, referrals, direct traffic etc).

andertonj, Feb 3, 2012 IP
  16. Midrand

Midrand Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct - you have it

Midrand, Feb 13, 2012 IP