1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I submit again?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by wblteam, Jan 21, 2012.

I had submitted my site at Dmoz 2 years ago still it doesn’t approve. Should I submit my site again ?

wblteam, Jan 21, 2012 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    jimnoble, Jan 21, 2012 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Jim is correct... however, what was the condition of your site two years ago? If you just created it, and didn't have a bunch of stuff on it at the time of submission, you could resubmit on the assumption that it's been rejected. Assuming you've actually add content in the last two years....

After two years, submitting one more time will likely not get you into trouble, and as the suggestion pool is NOT A QUEUE according to the editors here, there is no worries about simply over-writing your previous submission should it still be waiting for review.

Alternatively, just move on, forget about DMOZ, it's clear they have forgotten about you ;)

Many editors don't bother with the suggestions anyway, so NOT submitting often has the exact same wait time as submitting, so your success rate of getting in is about the same (which remains at little to none).

Though back to what Jim said... you can technically run the risk of getting banned for spamming. Though you also run the risk of getting your site rejected or removed if the editor that reviews your site feels you suggested to the wrong category. So *shrug* its your call on what you want to do. The editors only follow their own guidelines when it best suits them, and they ignore or change the meaning of those that do not suit their needs at any given moment.

Qryztufre, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Q, unfortunately was an editor for a few days, left, tried to get back and so far has not been accepted, so have that as background.
    DMOZ editors do not delete sites that are sent to the wrong category they are forwarded to the correct one, but that can cause some delay.

As Jim, one of DMOZ's most senior editors said, DON'T suggest again.

If your site was rejected, and I really do not know it's fate, we do not do site checks anymore, then I think they way to ensure that you are banned is to re-submit, that really does look like spam then.

You had the good advice from a senior editor with many years of experience........leave it as it is.

Anonymously, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry for just going by the guidelines... like I said, The editors only follow their own guidelines when it best suits them, and they ignore or change the meaning of those that do not suit their needs at any given moment.

Do I once again need to quote from the very page that Jim pointed to so I can back up my claims? It's not like I am bending or breaking the truth here, it's clearly stated in the guidelines REJECTED OR REMOVED, not LEFT OR MOVED. So sorry... *shrug*

So yeah, all those using the ODP, dont bother with the guidelines, they are half meaningless. As to which half, the gods only know... though I supposed you could just ask the editor here that hides his name while posting and says things that are not inline with the guidelines themselves. so yeah... just ignore the ODP, they don't even know what they are doing!

Qryztufre, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  6. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Re-submit right away!

Why?

Because the chances of you getting banned are the same as your chances of getting approved, little to NONE!

1 Million categories, less than 500 editors, you do the math

joeventura, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  7. peep666

peep666 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I saw it also impossible to be added in DMOZ listing. I heard later that if you didn´t get in, it´s useless to add your site again afterwards. Forget about it and go to work on your SEO all other way than with DMOZ.. :D There is lot of other QUALITY stuff for your site(s)..

peep666, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  8. sunilmamo

sunilmamo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forget about DMOZ and move on with your life.

sunilmamo, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  9. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please stop posting misinformation. There are far more than 500 editors. We have 200-300 editors with higher permissions (Cateditall/Editall/Catmod/Meta/Admin) and many more who can edit one or more categories.

photofox, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  10. joeventura

Best Answers:
    How many in a "far more"??

It's not misinformation unless you can prove otherwise.

I say less than 500 you say "far more"
    The chances one of us is lying is about the same.

Actually it's more likely that I am telling the truth because you volunteer for an organization that I can prove is dishonest.
    Front page of the site cites the number of editors which is a lie. And don't tell me its the cumulative number of all editors,
    unless you say that, its DISinformation.

That's like me saying I am a multimillionaire because I have made multiple millions in my lifetime.
    Generally accepted that a multimillionaire has two or million dollars NOW

Generally accepted that if you say you have 90,000+ editors, you have them NOW

The truth shall set you free!!

joeventura, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We have 200-300 members with higher ranks(Soldier/Capo/Underboss/Consigliere/Don) and many more Associates who are not a member of the mob, but more of an errand boy.

Corrected for you. :)

gworld, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  12. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please let me know when you want to have an adult coversation.

photofox, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What do you want to talk about? look at the threads that were started by me in this section and tell me what you think. :)

gworld, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  14. joeventura

Best Answers:

Now go get your shinebox Tommy!! :cool:

(sorry G you started it and I couldn't resist)

joeventura, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  15. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm happy to talk about anything DMOZ related. I'm not going to bother if you carry on responding with junk like you did in #11.

16. Derekk88

Derekk88 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fully agree! 1998 called, they want their directory back.

Derekk88, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  17. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Great!

How many active editors does DMOZ have?
    How many site submissions are currently waiting to be reviewed?
    How many editor applications are waiting to be reviewed?

How many new sites were added to DMOZ in 2011?
    How many have been added so far this year?

Pick any of these subjects and let's start talking!

and to save time I will reply to your reply before you make it:

"Then don't offer to talk about DMOZ!"

joeventura, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  18. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Once again, those are internal metrics which are not for public consumption at this time. Should AOL decide they want to share those numbers with the general public at some point in the future, then at that time, I'd be more than happy to discuss the numbers. Go ask Google for some internal metrics they don't offer publicly and see how willing they are to share the information.

You can work that out for yourself. Download copies of the RDF, and compare the numbers over a period of time (see http://rdf.dmoz.org/).

19. joeventura

Best Answers:
    And I assume that if I downloaded that data the sites added by the infamous "bots" vs. human editors are easy to discern?

Because if not than again its easy to say "See there are 2000 sites added a day"

when in reality 1999 sites are added by the bot and 1 is added by a human editor, again it provides no insight into the organization.

I mean how long will DMOZ editors hide in this straw house?

joeventura, Jan 25, 2012 IP
  20. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might as well skip it. DMOZ is an exclusive club anymore that even good sites, much less the decent ones can't get into. It's a useless trial in my opinion. The editors certainly don't give a damn, that much is obvious.

ksb2050, Feb 2, 2012 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.