1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Site, New Idea...5 best ways to market it?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by theleafer, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello DP,

I have just built a site and am now trying to brainstorm how to go about marketing it and getting the word out. I don't expect to get any personal secrets on how to make a site go viral...I'm just looking for the basic starting points one should consider.

I won't give the site name, don't wanna look like a spammer and respect the value this site can offer too much...this is my first post afterall.

My first 5 thoughts are,
    -PREweb etc. press release
    -Contact a large forum owner/guru for his/her advice and hope he/she likes it and blogs it etc.
    -Buy ads/link on related sites.
    -Trying to get it on Digg...Although I assume this would be next to impossible.
    -Use a myspace account to send out bulletins...a bit spammy though.

Any help for a stone cold newb would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.W.

theleafer, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  2. James12513

James12513 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you got it pretty much covered lol

Make sure you research in in to seo (meta tags etc)

have you thought about link exchange with other similar sites? :p

James12513, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  3. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Your list is pretty good.

Depends on your budget, of course. but google cpc as well as ron on networks like tribal fusion might be options... hard to say without knowing the site topic and what your initial goals are (get them to look?, to register?, to buy?, to return?, to spread the word by filling out a "tell a friend"?, etc. etc.)

Your post is focused on ideas external to your site. Make sure you put the majority of the focus on the viral aspects of the site itself ... in other words, focus on the landing page and what will drive them to invite/tell others.

Nitin M, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  4. theleafer

theleafer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses guys...really appreciate it.

I figured I had the general idea but wanted to get some experienced opinions.

So I have 80 bucks to spend,

Send out a PRweb press release?
    Buy some 8, 10 dollar links etc. from a variety of link farm sites. This is kinda my niche..only much better (doesn't everyone say that)

Thnaks

P.W.

theleafer, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  5. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    I think that would be money down the drain. If you do very targeted advertising on google search network you'll probably get much better bang for the buck.

Nitin M, Nov 9, 2006 IP
    theleafer likes this.
  6. theleafer

theleafer Peon

Best Answers:
    Nitin M,

What do you think of press releases, specifically PRweb. For 40 bucks I can send out a press release...or should I put the money into the adwords?

Thanks for your thoughts.

theleafer, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  7. ericeric

ericeric Guest

Best Answers:
    there are some other ppc search engines with price as low as 0.01 per click , just do some search:)

ericeric, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  8. jesterx

jesterx Peon

Best Answers:
    i would go with PPC search engine...dunno about google at the moment.

and buy text links on other related website. One way links works best.

there are other way to get targeted traffic is with resources like myspace or forum or chat communities.

hope this helps

jesterx, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  9. theleafer

theleafer Peon

Best Answers:
    what do you guys think about banner impressions...are they worth doing?
    I have a site in mind with a similar theme...10000 impressions for 5 bucks...spread out over 2-3 weeks

I guess what I'm asking is are banner impressions worth anything...the price seems right.

Thanks gang

theleafer, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  10. winningratings

winningratings Peon

Best Answers:
    It really does depend on your product and your market - however:

I would say the #1 way to market any site and any product is to build your own email list or ezine
    Its simple and easy to set up and a far larger number of the people who join will become buyers than any other method of promotion

Second - you need an affiliate program
    Most website owners struggle to make many sales - however they do make a few sales here or there. You can cash in on other peoples sales and networks by offering your affiliate program to them i.e. you have product Y - you tell other website owners, ezine owners etc about your product, and pay them a generous % commission. You will then have thousands of people all over the internet selling your product for you, without it costing you on dime in advertising costs

Third - concentrate on building partners
    The best way to get the word out about your site is to contact other successful internet marketers. They will have huge email lists/ezines and will be able to "out-box" any standard advertising services you might be tempted to try

Fourth - offer free reports
    Produce free reports in PDF format about your service/products, all with appropriate links back to your site

These possibilities should help you market your site

winningratings, Nov 22, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.