1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link-Assistant-SEO Powersuite - Scam or not?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by seowarrior, Jun 9, 2009.

So I bought this pricey but nice set of SEO tools from the folks at Link-Assistant the other day, called SEO Powersuite. $250 for the pro version and $599 for the Enterprise version. Started poking around their forums with a few questions and came upon some angry threads about something they call their "Live Plan". Apparently they cleverly gloss over the fact that there is an ongoing "subscription" to their service which is an additional $200 per year or $560 per year (pro or enterprise) by selling it as an "SE Update Plan":

What they don't tell you anywhere is that unless you purchase the ongoing "Live Plan", the software ceases to function. I don't know, but that seems downright dishonest to me. A few people on the forums just had their software lock up after being into it for 6 months and they're not too happy. So buyer beware!!!

seowarrior, Jun 9, 2009 IP
    Ovidiu Pescarasu likes this.
  2. dawsonbarber

dawsonbarber Peon

Best Answers:
    My "live plan" expires in about three weeks so, of course, I'm interested in this discussion (understandably, there's a pretty active debate going on over at SEO PowerSuite's forum over this issue). My understanding is that the software continues to function but that updates (algorithm updates, bug fixes, general improvements) cease unless you continue to pay.

I look at it this way: everyone gets a five month free license for "live plan," and then has to pay a maintenance fee.

Maybe they should have simply charged for maintenance from the beginning?

After all, the software is, in my view, dirt cheap for what it does.

Cheers from Vancouver!

Dawson

dawsonbarber, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  3. guruje

guruje Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont know

guruje, Mar 5, 2010 IP
  4. FredJones

FredJones Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I ran into this today. This is downright dishonest and I feel cheated too.

Honestly, this stinks. I sincerely suggest anyone evaluating SEO Powersuite or any part of it not to buy no matter what your pocket size is - they don't deliver what they promise. This is downright dishonest with shady marketing language.

If someone reviews SEO Powersuite (I experienced with SEO Spyglass) and does not mention this, then they are doing itbecause they don't know what theyare talking about. The first 6 months of usage is heavenly but that's the end of it.

Don't waste your hard-earned money to a scam named SEO Spyglass.

FredJones, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  5. kurieuo

kurieuo Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, I fell for this marketing trick also.

What they should tell you, is that once your 6 months is up, your software will stop functioning altogether unless you subscribe to their live updates.

I thought when purchasing I would at least have functioning software at the end. Then if I desired the more recent updates, I could subscribe to their live updates. But no, the software doesn't generate any rank reports.

The free versions are more functional than my purchased software after 6 months (nice treatment for someone who has paid for the software!).

Now considering my options. I would perhaps have subscribed, but this has left a real bad taste in my mouth. Thanks Link Assistant! Buyer beware.

kurieuo, Jan 31, 2011 IP
    Ovidiu Pescarasu likes this.
  6. SEO Social Media Marketin

SEO Social Media Marketin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the review on the products guys. I have tried some software and also know of other using yet more software. What I try and stay away from is the hefty monthly payments. Like SENuke. I guess I never like to lease but would rather own something. What do you think of Sick Submitter or IMautomator. I think IM is a waste of time but Sick might have some value in building links to web 2.0 sites that then link back to your main site.

7. kipson

kipson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All SEO Softwares are 100% Scam, in my 10 years experience SEO softwares only for Analytical purpose only not Productivity (Link Building) purpose

kipson, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  8. utahseopros

utahseopros Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, I've heard of them and have had clients who used them to learn a trick or two. Ended up regretting it. If your going to use any software, go for the free tools from SEObook and SEOmoz, and if you feel advanced enough, go for the pro account on SEOmoz. Worth it to use the tools they offer if you are really into the SEO field. Otherwise, just do your own thing. Theirs always excel ;)

utahseopros, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  9. billybear

billybear Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys, the way i see it is that to SEO is free if you have time. Time is money so people who charge to develop programs to aid SEOs save time have the right to do so in my opinion. I have Spyglass and i pay for it. I guess i don't complain about its costs because it gives me the info i need to get the job done for clients and get the results they need.
    From what i can remember i just pay every six month.

billybear, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  10. billybear

billybear Peon

Best Answers:
    So why are software a scam? You pay for a service that helps you analyse data but a my definition of a scam is where you pay for something and you get nothing.

billybear, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  11. voipguy

voipguy Peon

Best Answers:
    The tools they offer are great in my opinion - and I would have no problem paying a monthly service fee for them - had I known exactly how much I was going to pay and it was disclosed upfront. I too feel cheated because I paid a pretty hefty sum for a piece of software, and then only 6 months later it just STOPS WORKING. That's ridiculous. There was absolutely no mention of additional fees required when I bought the software. It's dishonest and deceptive to the point I consider it a scam.

Good software- yes. Too bad it's accompanied by deceptive business practices. I wonder how long before someone takes them up on it in court. Hell, I'd do it myself if it wasn't such a hassle.

voipguy, Feb 17, 2011 IP
  12. domedia_ro

domedia_ro Active Member

Best Answers:
    I own the SEO Power Submit software pack. Deceptive? Depends what you expect. Indeed the Live plan would be better off - the fact that they update their software doesn't justify the recurring payments, every software company brings updates to keep their customers happy and the quality of their brand intact - but it's not the worst case you will see out there. Take a look at SENuke - Christ - SPAM for $140 a month or so, the new SENuke X I mean - you could do a better job buying some back links with that amount / month.

@billybear - stop promoting their brand, that goes for a few more guys in here - 1 post guests saying something positive about S.E.O. Power Submit sounds a little fishy.

domedia_ro, Apr 7, 2011 IP
  13. halberdkatana

halberdkatana Peon

Best Answers:
    There are really no tools in doing search engine optimization. The best guideline, I think, is to stick by the rules. Website Auditor, one of the softwares from SEO Powersuite, only analyzes the websites and "gives" suggestions how to appear more "pleasing" to Google crawlers. It DOESN'T improve the frequency of crawls to your websites. One thing I also noticed, the software suggests the number of words to be used in the Title Tag, and so on. It can suggest numerous words that can go higher than 70 characters (which is recommended number of letters in the Title Tag).

The best guideline is still, stick to the rules. SEO practitioners optimize websites for people, not for search engines alone.

halberdkatana, May 21, 2011 IP
  14. jmsbond175

jmsbond175 Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest you that all the Search Engine Optimization Tools are scam. I have used so many SEO tools but they did not give appropriate result.

jmsbond175, May 21, 2011 IP
  15. blanco

blanco Peon

Best Answers:
    Did anyone confront the SEO Powersuite company about this?

I have bought the software as well and I am thinking of contacting my credit card company and order a charge back for deceptive marketing of the product that I bought.

blanco, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  16. seobunny

seobunny Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the review... Im thinking about to buy this Tool

seobunny, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  17. domedia_ro

domedia_ro Active Member

Best Answers:
    You won't be disappointed. The team updates the software pack pretty often and you can do anything from analyzing your website or your client's website structure (SEO Audit), check the competition's on site and off site ranking factors, track your rank / your competitor rank all in one and last but definitely not least use link assistant software to bring back-links towards your website - make sure you have something to deliver for the link partners and I don't necessarily mean money.

domedia_ro, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  18. gzed

gzed Active Member

Best Answers:
    You get 6 months of updates with your initial purchase. The price looks quite reasonable considering you are helping them to fund the maintenance of their software. link-assistant.com /linkassistant/pro-live-plan-extension.html - it's only $50 for a 12 month extension.

gzed, Jan 21, 2012 IP
  19. SEO poland

SEO poland Peon

Best Answers:
    I also have bought SEO power suite (full), and after 6 months it's not working, I had pay almost 600$ for it!!! And after 6 months it's usefull, for that money i should have free updates, and working tool. I use this tool on my website [LINK]www.netprofile.com.pl[/LINK]

SEO poland, Mar 30, 2012 IP
  20. Ovidiu Pescarasu

Ovidiu Pescarasu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, a tricky marketing, which claims to be free for life, but useless after six months.
    For rank tracker, if you don't renew the subscription, the software returns: "Your software has not received algorithm updates for several search engines and is unable to collect data from this search engines properly."

I think is a very stupid software, if it needs an update to collect data from Bing.com, or those who are selling this scum are cheaters. :)
    I'll complain to Paypal, as this guy did: linkassistant-scam.com/2011/06/paypal-will-investigate-llink-assistant.html

Ovidiu Pescarasu, Sep 10, 2012 IP