1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SOPA Blackout Kit (SEO Friendly) - ~3min install

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DSF, Jan 18, 2012.

I'm a little late on this one... Threw this together in a hurry to get something up for the SOPA blackout (http://www.SopaStrike.com) which runs from 8am EST to 8pm EST today (reeeeally didn't feel like designing even a simple site, but I had to do something besides the short uninformative pages).

Code is REALLY sloppy, but it was done in a rush, and it functions fine... I didn't feel like proofing it and being thorough with it like I would with a typical site.

The reason I say SEO friendly is because it uses 503s, no 301s, etc.

Sample Page (This one is HTML, not PHP -- Looks the same, but Counter + Countdown don't function): http://sopasucks.yoodoos.com/

Megaupload Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9KKPNI0Y
    Was going to throw the torrent up on The Pirate Bay for ease of downloading, but they seem to have banned me for registering the name F***_SOPA :-( If anyone has the means, feel free to upload a torrent.

Attachment For if you Can't / Don't Want to DL from Megaupload
    (Change Extension to RAR)
    View attachment CHANGE EXT TO RAR -- SOPA Blackout Kit (SEO Friendly).txt View attachment CHANGE EXT TO RAR -- SOPA Blackout Kit (SEO Friendly).txt

Thumbnail of Partial Page:
    [​IMG]

Contents: 503.php, hitcounter.txt (for a really simple PHP counter), RENAME.htaccess, Readme / Install Text File
    Very little PHP (Like 15 lines; most are variables), so feel free to sift through it if you're worried about malicious code or callbacks or anything.

SO, if any of you guys want to get on the SOPA Blackout day (today: 8am EST to 8pm EST), this is everything you need to throw up something that redirects all traffic to an anti-SOPA 503 page.

I put it up on 40 or so of my sites earlier... Sacrificing earnings, but whatever. I have strong feelings about SOPA / PIPA, as I think we all do :-/

Please feel free to share it if you know someone who will use it.

Would love to see what sites you put it on, so post your domain once it's up if you aren't too worried about publicity.

DSF, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  2. acoolpic

acoolpic Peon

Best Answers:
    thnx dude Already started editing my site

acoolpic, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  3. pearl17

pearl17 Banned

Best Answers:
    Good stuff, seriously. I feel just as strongly about the issue...I think "the web community" pulled together fairly well, so far.

pearl17, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  4. DSF

DSF Member

Best Answers:
    Most definitely... Literally half (or more) of the sites I've tried to visit today are blacked out. I'm loving it.

Screw these bills and the idiots who introduced them.

DSF, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  5. DSF

DSF Member

Best Answers:
    Also, just found out about the strike right before I was about to go to bed last night... Last I heard was the potential for a strike on Jan 20 something. Only found out about this one because I clicked a Wikipedia article and got the blackout.

So, with the help of several Adderall (or closer to a handful of heh), I pulled an all nighter (I think I'm going on 40 hours awake lol) just to COST myself probably $1k+ by the time I'm done (I've got ~190 sites left to black out... Damn them being on separate accounts on my dedi) by blacking out many of my sites... Ahhh, that's passion lol. Just wish I would have had more time to spend ont he site, instead of making it look like some 1998 Geocities / Angelfire ripoff lol... However; I think I got the point and functionality across with it... Design doesn't matter near as much in a scenario like this (24 hours, protest, etc)

Now, I'll be up the rest of the day spreading and absorbing SOPA news, as well as checking up on blackout results haha.

DSF, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  6. arwen54

arwen54 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know if this blackout today is going to be enough to stop these bills. But what it could do is force them to make significant changes to these bills, so that they are not quite so heavy-handed.

I hope so.

to the OP: that was extremely generous of you to provide the kit. :cool:

arwen54, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  7. ipostmedia

ipostmedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Awesome stuff man. Although I'm not an American, I'm against SOPA & PIPA both. Kudos to Wiki for bringing the awareness campaign today.

ipostmedia, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  8. spiritfly

spiritfly Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I redirectd to sopastrike.com from my three biggest websites! Glad that I can be a part of this.

This is a historical moment people!

One day I will be telling this story to my grandchildren and how I fought back the internet censorship! :)

spiritfly, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  9. dmohan

dmohan Active Member

Best Answers:
    A big loss for China Assets of about $300 Chinese dollars

dmohan, Jan 23, 2012 IP