1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Newsgroups How Do I Submit To Them

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by widewebtalk, Nov 8, 2006.

Hi i have been told to submit my site using newsgroups, But i don't know what a newsgroup is or how to go about using them if anyone knows much about them please i would appreciate your help.

I just hope that newsgroups are not some spam or something i am really trying to look for good marketing methods.

widewebtalk, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    in most cases I wouldn't think this is the greatest of marketing methods out there.

but anyway: call your isp. they should have info you need to login & read / write to newsgroups. alternatively you could use google groups.

disgust, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  3. bizz_man

bizz_man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn’t use news groups to promote your site unless your site is only for local groups. Even if that’s the case they will always try to bargain you will never get the price you are looking for. If you are not involved with that group or community they will call you a spammer for posting your website ads. Just my point of view. Good Luck

bizz_man, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  4. cldnails

cldnails Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Newsgroups can be a great source of traffic, of course depending on your niche and how active that niche is on newsgroups. I've found I can generate a decent amount of traffic for my adult sites through this method....just don't spam.

I pay for newsgroup access through Newshosting.com and I make my posts using PowerPost.

cldnails, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  5. cgfx

cgfx Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree on that, news group community are pretty aggressive on accusing you as spammers if you are not tactful in promoting your site. Your domain might even get blacklisted if they make a complain to your webhost.

cgfx, Nov 9, 2006 IP
    bizz_man likes this.
  6. widewebtalk

widewebtalk Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't want to do anything that could be spam or get em accused of spam. I will have to think about this a bit more taking the comments into my decision.

widewebtalk, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  7. qwerty100

qwerty100 Guest

Best Answers:
    Usually you have newsgroup access through your isp. So your cablemodem or DSL provider probably has a free newsgroup server you can connect to and post through.

Do a search for your providers name and "Newsgroup" or "NNTP". You'll also need to get a newsgroup reader (kind of like an email client) as well.

qwerty100, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  8. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many high traffic newsgroups(yahoo,google,aol,etc) out there and most of it is moderated so if you are just saying "haha..lol" in your message and dump your link at the end then it will not be approved.

sbongo, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  9. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Guest

Best Answers:
    Just treat newsgroups like a forum. If posting a link to your site is on topic to the group or the discussion you're probably okay.

If you're promoting an adult site you can even post some samples of your content with a mention of your URL in the corner of the pic / video you're posting.

If you want to promote with pics or videos you'll need access to a good binary news server. I'd recommend Giganews.

If you're promoting through text posts, pretty much any provider will do. If you use a news client like Outlook Express just use the domain news.isp.com where "isp.com" is your ISP's domain name. Chances are they offer something for free which is IP authenticated. If that doesn't work email their support or check out their website for further instructions.

If you want to use a web based application for text newsgroups, Google Groups is a good choice.

As with any newsgroup or forum just make sure your post makes sense to the discussion or the "charter" of the group. It also helps if you're actively involved in the community of that newsgroup. Don't just post an ad about your site. Let the newsgroup know how it relates to the group or how it relates to someone else's comment in the group.

If you spam newsgroups your posts will probably get filtered and you'll be banned from the service you used to post the message.

CaptainObvious, Nov 9, 2006 IP