1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wikipedia Link

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by i_am_dhaval, Jan 2, 2012.

I want to add one of my company info in Wikipedia so i get link from that also.

can anyone tell me what is the step.

i alredy open account on that but i am still confused how can i add all info in proper way.

where i can add my article. where i can add link .

Please guide me.

i_am_dhaval, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  2. darkdrgn2k

darkdrgn2k Active Member

Best Answers:
    One thing to remember about wikipedia links is they are no follow. Also you cannot post a "marketing" link you have to make is seem like its PART of the site.

Remember that wikipedia is full of people ready to take your article down if its biast in the slightest or even if it SEEMS like it. check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Your_first_article

darkdrgn2k, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  3. OSSEO

OSSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia does not accept marketing material . If you have good subject then post on Wikipedia by giving history references without using marketing content .

OSSEO, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  4. i_am_dhaval

i_am_dhaval Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i_am_dhaval, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  5. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have created some Wikipedia pages in the past for companies, though it has been a while since I last did one. You need to make sure you have good references for everything you put into the page, format it well, have enough information to create a real page (one paragraph is not enough), and that your company has a big enough impact that it warrants having a page (publicly traded, serves thousands of people, developed a new technology, etc). More on being important enough, Google places is where you put info about your local diner, not Wikipedia.

Without that stuff, and knowing how to create the page in a way that conforms with the generally accepted Wikipedia formatting rules, you probably won't see it last long. Within a few days it will likely go to voting and then people will weigh-in and decide whether it should stay or not.

mhovingh, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  6. i_am_dhaval

i_am_dhaval Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    can you please give me the sign up link pAGE for that?

i_am_dhaval, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  7. domainnamesalez

domainnamesalez Peon

Best Answers:
    I still suggest unless your company is not very popular or a public entity like Google, do not create Wikipedia profile just to get a backlink. If you end up writing about what services your company offers, the chances are very high that your page will be removed.

domainnamesalez, Jan 3, 2012 IP
  8. Kyle H.

Kyle H. Active Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter if it is a no-follow link imo, it is still valuable from a huge and human edited site. If you write a page about your company and it's not well known, it will be deleted quickly though.

Kyle H., Jan 3, 2012 IP
  9. Chumm

Chumm Peon

Best Answers:
    It'll get swiftly deleted if your page reads like a marketing page. Wikipedia is used as a huge collection of information. They don't usually allow small websites or companies unless they have done something notable, they're a success or contributed to something else in a good way. There are 100's of SEO companies, hosting, etc. If they all made Wikipedia articles, it would soon get cluttered up.

Chumm, Jan 4, 2012 IP
  10. macedonian85

macedonian85 Member

Best Answers:
    Very useful thread guys.

macedonian85, Jan 4, 2012 IP
  11. NigelMenson

NigelMenson Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's very well governed by the common sense. It is amazing how in the modern corrupted world Wikipedia still fares so un-eroded. Most of everything that is there should be there, and most of everything what gets deleted should be deleted. This synergy amuses me. The western civilization has been created by merchants and traders, effects of which we can see all over the place. How come things like Wikipedia still exist?

NigelMenson, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  12. HonestJ

HonestJ Member

Best Answers:
    Well said. Except for the rip on Western civilization. I agree, when a good opportunity arises we need to smart on how we can utilitize it for our gain. Not abuse it.

HonestJ, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  13. NigelMenson

NigelMenson Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a "Westerner" too, just a disenchanted one :(. Thanks, anyway, of course.

NigelMenson, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  14. rain21

rain21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    as long as your page contains accurate legal content without any marketing links I think u can do it. Just go there and write

rain21, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  15. bsie

bsie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Because they are a non profit funded by donors that have a vested interest in making the wikipedia pages that serve their own interests lean toward their cause. There are plenty of websites outlining Wikipedia abuses. 99% great 1% self serving is all you need.

bsie, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  16. smileverse

smileverse Peon

Best Answers:
    Links in wikipedia are almost "nofollow". And Wikipedia never encourage the marketing stuff unless it is worthy/helpful/useful to others. But, still you can add a reference links but keep in mind that the reference links should be relevant and if admins found that you're adding the reference links of your own website, you'll be banned. Take care of it. Good Luck :)

smileverse, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  17. drummermike

drummermike Peon

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia is unbelievably well maintained and anything spammy will be taken down in seconds. Make sure your site is highly relevant and helpful, micro niche sites aren't going to cut it.

drummermike, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  18. !bc

!bc Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep in mind that Wikipedia includes the nofollow tag on their links rendering your link somewhat useless.

!bc, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  19. Darb

Darb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If your company's page already exists, you can add information under the 'Edit' tab.
    If your company's page needs to be created, search for the term and then click on the link that says "Create a page for this [topic]..."

There's a bit of learning curve to adding information on Wikipedia, and I recommend you look over the FAQ and play around with some of the templates. Don't be afraid to ask fellow community members for help - they are very passionate to helping newbies. They're also very sensitive to promotional content, so make sure you back up your information with plenty of reliable sources.

Darb, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  20. NigelMenson

NigelMenson Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not useless, not at all. Google counts it in. It did so with my links, and it has been reflected on the SERPS too.

NigelMenson, Jan 28, 2012 IP