1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is relavency important in link exchange ?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by 4goodhosting., Dec 27, 2011.

Hello Experts,

I have one confusion regarding link exchange. Is relevancy important in link exchange ?

Thanks a million !

4goodhosting., Dec 27, 2011 IP
  2. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Relevancy is highly important with backlinks. Link exchange is no different. If I go to a site about "dog training" and see a link to a site about "cooking thai food", what are the chances I find that link helpful versus annoying? Google is going to think that same way.

mhovingh, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  3. oneshotmarketing

oneshotmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's very important. Adding onto what mhovingh said, not only will you be unable to find anything related for readers.. Google will detect it as spam and that's something you definitely do not want

oneshotmarketing, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  4. Endless Rain

Endless Rain Member

Best Answers:
    In link exchange it would be better if it is from a related blog. Google would find it fishy that you have a backlink from a totally unrelated blog and you might be penalized for that. Why not just buy an ad space rather than risking yourself in 2 way link building techniques like this?

Rain

Endless Rain, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  5. Alexander P.

Alexander P. Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course, you can have a link exchange to whatever site you can get it to, but it is way more beneficial and effective when you have a link exchange with a relevant website. Though link exchange is not that of high value these days like before, still you can reap good benefits from it IF AND ONLY IF you link on relevant and probably high PR websites. Or you can try linking to .edu and .gov sites which gives quite a high value if you get links from them.

Alexander P., Dec 28, 2011 IP
  6. RyanC

RyanC Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, relevancy is very much important in link exchange..

RyanC, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  7. jerrymaestro

jerrymaestro Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think Google Panda hate link exchange. Even though its relevant or not.

jerrymaestro, Dec 29, 2011 IP
  8. Alexander P.

Alexander P. Peon

Best Answers:
    Paid link exchange is what Google hates. I don't know how Google know if a link is paid or not, but having paid links is good especially when it is relevant to your website. Also, only those who has enough money for paid links can do that. Though the value is not that high of a natural link, it still helps.

Alexander P., Dec 29, 2011 IP
  9. mhovingh

Best Answers:
    Don't be afraid of link exchanging, just afraid of not knowing how to do it in a good way. Google not only doesn't hate it when you do a link exchange, Google likes it when you do it in a responsible way that is valuable to your website's visitors. Using the link exchange sites that have been around for ages is definitely not what you want to do. Carefully selected links that are presented in a way that gives value to your website's visitors (and are done in moderation) is a perfectly fine thing to do.

Google specifically states that they are okay with link exchanges that are not excessive.

http://goo.gl/yEMlq

mhovingh, Dec 29, 2011 IP
  10. Gtoo

Gtoo Banned

Best Answers:
    Ya relevancy is important. Because one quality link is far better than unrelated theme sites. If we link exchange with unrelated sites then there is a chance to consider our site as link farm.

Gtoo, Dec 29, 2011 IP
  11. themaniac

themaniac Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting, no wonder, everybody kind of runs away from it. I also have a few links on my blogroll to different websites, my websites, I didn't thought until now that this may be a problem. And I hope it isn't I have about 5-6 links to different niches, games, phones, blogs and wallpapers.

themaniac, Dec 29, 2011 IP
  12. golfpro1

golfpro1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think relevancy is extremely important, as the search engines (Google in particular) could penalise a site if its links are not relevant

golfpro1, Dec 30, 2011 IP
  13. zekin

zekin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Anyone use linkmarket.com to participate "link exchange"? Is such link exchange harming regardless of relavency or not?

zekin, Dec 30, 2011 IP
  14. alpesh.brahmbhatt

alpesh.brahmbhatt Peon

Best Answers:
    yes realvancy is most important to link exchange because targeted keyword with our site and any other sites submit our link so this is most important in which place our link submit in other sites so it is good.

alpesh.brahmbhatt, Dec 30, 2011 IP
  15. jerrymaestro

jerrymaestro Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks mhovingh.

How ever I really don't know what "good link exchange" is and really afraid to try because some says bad about it.

jerrymaestro, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  16. mhovingh

Best Answers:
    Look at a site that you are considering linking with. Is it a well made site (loads fast, no autospin, no bad coding practices)? If it passes there...

How relevant is it to your content? Do you have a site about "travel luggage" and the site you would exchange with is about something with at least some relation, such as "saving money when traveling" or a site about "travel luggage" in a different language? Is there a relationship that a human would recognize? If it passes there...

Ask the ultimate question, will a reasonable amount of my visitors find value in having the link available? Be very serious about this question, answering it completely honestly after thinking it through. Don't think that your visitors will like it or find value in it just because you do. Really think about how 1000 visitors would view the link, how valuable they would think it was. If you are delivering a link that is valuable to your visitors, then you are doing link exchanges in a way that Google wants to see. Because the primary reason for a link exchange is to get visitors to move between the two sites, remember that what Google wants from your link exchange and what visitors want from it are the same thing, relevancy and value. When you do a responsible link exchange, you are hitting two birds with one stone (making Google happy and getting traffic that is happy to come to your site, which means conversion).

If the link provides a real value, do the exchange. Don't put up pages and pages of links. Be picky and try to get the best ones you can at the time. Always keep an eye on sites you link exchange with. Make sure they are maintaining that relevancy and giving a reason for your traffic to go through. Always remember that link exchanging is about traffic, not PR. Google sees it the same way and will look to see who you are linking to, making sure that you are providing the searchers it sends with good value on your page and good value in any exits (your link exchanges) you provide for the searchers. Google also looks at whether the site you exchanged with is providing value to searchers it receives from Google. It works both ways and you should look at the value for searchers who would end up on either site. Just always remember that Google's customer is its searchers and it wants to give its searchers the best experience possible. Whenever you think about doing anything, including a link exchange, always remember to ask yourself what value it gives to Google's searchers.

PS. Always exchange with a site after you review it to determine the value. Don't exchange through a link exchange service where you just input some code and they handle the exchanges without you having complete control over who you are exchanging with.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    mhovingh, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  17. Mike2010

Mike2010 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In link exchange, relevance, OBL(Outboundlink) should not be more than 20/30, High Page Rank , Old Age Domain all these are matters if you really looking for good links because then only helps to get top rank in SERP as well as targetted traffic.

Mike2010, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  18. tipsy12

tipsy12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, relevancy is important if you exchange links because unrelated them site link is not beneficial for the site.

tipsy12, Jan 3, 2012 IP