1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are people still starting premium directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by PoliticalTraveler, Dec 22, 2011.

Are people still starting premium directories or is mostly the older ones are enough for the market?

PoliticalTraveler, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  2. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In my experience more often now people are doing custom but premium type directories. They are often in a niche, or in some way offer something special. And then of course there are those who buy pagerank. So there is still a market but it is more developed now.

dvduval, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  3. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can't just start a premium directory, they require years to develop and a great deal of money.

stoner3221, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  4. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The only 'premium' directory I've seen started in the last 7 years is dirjournal which established itself very quickly, but a great deal of money and knowledge is needed for a venture like that.

syted, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  5. PoliticalTraveler

PoliticalTraveler Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, i agree 100%. I was in dir market before and sold the few ones (decent ones) that I had. I didn't know if its worth getting back into it or not. I wouldn't expect anything less than low $$$$ to start a reasonable directory now but its the questions of how long will it take to get a return on investment.

PoliticalTraveler, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  6. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    There are so many older ones with established niche markets that I think it might be difficult. I always see the bright side as well. There may be unexplored niche markets for directories or ones that are poorly done. If you have time to build one up then you many have a good idea.

JPC-Sabrina, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  7. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As long as the market is available for directory submission people will keep starting directories. Few would be just another directory, many would be craps and very few stand test of time and top list as a good premium directory over a period of time.

samdar, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  8. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where is most of the money spent ? On promoting the directory or maintaining it ?

NikkiBlue, Dec 28, 2011 IP