1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to list a blog site in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by laokboke, Dec 23, 2011.

dear friends
    I am a Chinese webmaster of a blog,i submit my site to DMOZ serveral months ago,and i am sure that i have submit to the right category and follow their instructions exactly.But my site isn't listed in DMOZ util now.I am very disappointed,but i don't want to give up.Is there somebody can help me or give me some advice?Thank you!
    Sorry for my poor english.

laokboke, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You could wait for several more months, or even years. If you have submitted there is nothing more you can do within the confines of the ODP to get listed other then maybe die waiting. I suggest that you simply move on and promote your site by other methods what will actually improve your site rankings (something DMOZ won't help with much these days) and to continue building the best website you possibly can.

An editor will either eventually review your suggestion, or will possibly find it through some other method, and will add it or reject it at their sole discretion, and they will not tell you one way or another, neither will they care.

So in all, just carry on as always and treat the world like the ODP does not exist, as they are certainly already treating you that way...

Best of luck,
    Q

Qryztufre, Dec 24, 2011 IP
    Renatus likes this.
  3. SpencerMuller

SpencerMuller Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never been accepted into DMOZ, its very hard to get in as far as I know.
    I'm not 100% sure its worth the hassle and wait

SpencerMuller, Dec 24, 2011 IP
  4. Renatus

Renatus Member

Best Answers:
    Just forget about the submitted listing and move on with your life. You've done all you can where DMOZ is concerned.

Renatus, Dec 24, 2011 IP
  5. laokboke

laokboke Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for your advice,it is very useful for me.I will keep creating original content and treating the world like the ODP does not exist.

laokboke, Dec 24, 2011 IP
    Renatus likes this.
  6. miskahiper

miskahiper Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had several blogs submit to the ODP Dmoz, but until now has never been approved. We had the same problem, please help me if you have a solution, thanks. :)

miskahiper, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    the ONLY solution is to simply stop wasting your time looking for a solution. Unless AOL actually cares enough to make changes to happen within the ODP for the better, then there is NOTHING you can do to make your site even worth submitting to there. "it may take several weeks or more before your submission is reviewed" is the BEST you can hope for, and there is nothing more you can do... save make the best site you can possibly make, and just forget about the ODP. If you have submitted to the correct category, that is simply all you can do.

Qryztufre, Dec 27, 2011 IP
  8. stella_j

stella_j Peon

Best Answers:
    hey you need patience because Dmoz is one of human edited directory all the submissions reviewed manually dats why it takes time to get approved. Generally it takes 5-6 months for approval.

stella_j, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  9. jayrudalf

jayrudalf Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is really a big site and takes time to accept your site.

jayrudalf, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Not all sites that are listed (or even removed) are done by a human, and the wait time can take from days to decades, there is no 5-6 months about it unless that's where you happened to be listed at in your wait time.

Qryztufre, Jan 13, 2012 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The same way that you list any other site if you want a fast listing. You go to a freelance site, pay one of the senior editors in DMOZ anywhere between 20-150 dollars and you get listed in a couple of days.

gworld, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  12. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest people ignore this idea. Paying for a listing will result in the editor who accepts the money being removed and the site paying being removed and banned.

Gworld - if you have credible proof that editors (senior or not) are accepting money in return for listings, then please either email it to me via the link in my signature or pm it to me and I will be more than happy to investigate. Please make sure it's concrete proof and not just a load of supposition (as is usually the case with allegations on this forum).

photofox, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. There is many positive reviews from customers in freelance sites that their site was listed by people who took the job and listed their site in a couple of days but I am sure this is not a proof unless someone can provide the birth certificate of the buyer, the editor and notarized copy of the bank transfer which states clearly it is a payment to a senior editor for listing of a site in DMOZ. Even then I am sure the senior editors will find a reason that this is not enough proof.

gworld, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  14. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've offered to look at the information you purport to have, I've given you 2 ways to send it to me. If you are not willing to send it, what's the point?

photofox, Jan 14, 2012 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  15. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't waste your breath.S/he has no proof and is just a disillusioned ex-editor or can't get their site listed, they are two a penny on here. Dead easy to set up a scam and offer the proofs to make sure your scam is correct. One of the posters above probably runs it.

The other scam, which someone confessed to on a forum, was guaranteeing a listing, take the money,suggest the site, if one in ten is accepted then they keep the money and only return it to those who complain. But then say to those who complain that they will be reported to DMOZ and the site banned for ever.

Fools and their money are soon parted and sadly some of them lose it in quest of a listing, which offers little or no advantage,according to many on here.

I still wish that DMOZ would turn suggestions off.

Anonymously, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. look at the post above this by a claimed editor, do you really think this people will allow you (if you are really serious) to remove their bread and butter. Look in this forum for my previous thread that showed how the editors are selling listings on freelance sites. Another editor who tried to do something found herself not being able to login all of a sudden and all her previous editors friend turning on her. :)

gworld, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  17. General Lee

General Lee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    DMOZ has to have the longest approval period over any other directory out there. Gezz are they just under staffed or what?

General Lee, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Such information has been given in the past to other editors.

Go to scriptlance, look for completed entries concerning DMOZ. Find some with positive feedback.

They exist, the links have been given in the past.

Other editors say that a COMPLETED transaction with POSITIVE feedback is not proof because we are not giving the actual webpages/category.... but what do you expect? If editors can use confidentiality guidelines, what makes one believe that someone that just paid for a listing is gunna come forward and say OH YEAH, I BROKE THE RULES!!!!1!111!~!!?

If I bother to look it up for you, what would you say if I can find such a thing? I'm not talking about a SUBMISSION, I'm talking about a LISTING.

These things HAVE happened in the past, and will likely happen in the future.

EDIT: http://www.scriptlance.com/projects/1199732018.shtml

Positive review found here: http://www.scriptlance.com/buyer/equitydw/reviews

So there ya go, a completed transaction for a 'fast DMOZ'listing with positive feedback. Sure, it's not proof... but lol, it's certainly an indication that people are buying & selling ODP listing, and have been for years.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    Qryztufre, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    for those who are lazy to search in the links:

it is funny when editors claim nobody knows how long it takes for listing, this guy can do it in 10 days for 100 dollars. :)

gworld, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  20. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say that if there is enough evidence to link the freelancer posting to an editor account and associated DMOZ listing, then the editor account would be removed.

The problem with the links you posted are they don't provide enough information, was it really an actual listing that was paid for... Many places purport to offer "fast DMOZ listings" but really they are just offering submission services. If you can provide a Freelance post that actually includes a URL or something identifiable, then that would at least be a start. Otherwise it's like saying that a black car was involved in a hit and run. There are millions of black cars, without a license plate number or some other identifying element, it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to find the actual black car.

Some people are foolish enough to pay for a listing, if they are caught, they will be removed/banned along with the editor that accepted the payment.

Listings are not permanent, neither are editor accounts if someone is abusing their editing privileges. I don't understand what you mean by "people will allow you ... to remove their bread and butter"

photofox, Jan 15, 2012 IP