1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ever setup a blog this way, Blog first, main site later?

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by pipes, Dec 18, 2011.

Hi, have you ever setup a blog (self hosted, own domain) in either a subfolder or subdomain without having anything yet for the main domain? With the intention of blogging first and eventually having your site in place on the main domain at some time in the future, still leaving the blog in place once you do build the site and then linking from the main domain to your blog in whichever location you put it in ie: subdomain or sub folder.

This is my intention, i wouldn't want to move the blog about afterwards, hence having it in a carefully chosen location, and i wouldn't want to replace the domain either so i would be carefully choosing the domain name.

How would you do it? Can you see any issues with this and would you put up a temporary one page on the sitename .com or nothing at all? Would this be a problem, would you do it differently and for what reason?

pipes, Dec 18, 2011 IP
  2. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The best way I can think of to do this is register 2 domains, mydomain.com and mydomainblog.com or mydomainnews.com. If you have mydomain/blog.com people will expect mydomain.com to have content.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    syted, Dec 19, 2011 IP
    pipes likes this.
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi syted, have you seen other sites do it as you have suggested? Regarding what you say about people expecting mydomain.com to have content on it if a blog was already on a subdomain or subfolder, i totally agree, thats what i was thinking too.

I wonder how google might see and treat this, i guess i shouldn't worry though, because if i do as you suggest, the blog domain would of course have the blog content on it and when im ready to setup the main site on the other domain and link them both together it would be unique content on each domain.

Im totally open to any other thoughts you have on this, so far your suggestion does seem plausible.

pipes, Dec 19, 2011 IP
  4. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, usually the domain is the blog or the blog is /blog from the main site. Obviously the expense of having 2 domains is prohibatory but it's all I could come up with.

syted, Dec 19, 2011 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Same here, ive not seen it before, although it must be done by some people, i dont mind having to purchase two domains for this, i will think it over, its not a bad option.

pipes, Dec 19, 2011 IP
  6. Harvey M.

Harvey M. Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's what you do.

Setup your blog at mydomain.com/blog and forward, for the time being, mydomain.com to mydomain.com/blog. That way, when your actual site's ready for launch, you can remove the link and use mydomain.com as the actual site, leaving mydomain.com/blog as the blog.

Harvey M., Dec 30, 2011 IP
    pipes likes this.
  7. vanggelica

vanggelica Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not have a problem in that case, I do it as usual.

vanggelica, Jan 2, 2012 IP
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Harvey, thank you very much, thats a great solution.

pipes, Jan 3, 2012 IP