1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where is the $$ in the Directory business?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by uberman, Nov 5, 2006.

1. SUP3RNOVA

SUP3RNOVA Peon

Best Answers:
    Work hard and long and you can make money.

I made close to $500 in the first month of running a couple dirs. Mostly quick money off of selling sitewides though. Made probably $150 from links, rest from selling ads.

And $10 from AdSense :p.

SUP3RNOVA, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  2. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think directories are great for getting a site indexed and offer a good backlink, often at low or no cost at all. In terms of getting quality traffiic from a directory, well, I don't think you can. The only time people click on links on directories is when they are there to submit their own sites, and do so out of curiousity more than anything.

qwestcommunications, Nov 7, 2006 IP
    onedollar likes this.
  3. ian_batten

ian_batten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats not bad at all...infact that sounds very good.

And qwestcommunications, I would imagine that would be so...I for one have never clicked on, or even visited a directory to look for a link.

ian_batten, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  4. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good topic....

Yes the directory biz is getting harder there is no question about that as you have people who can build 5 in one day,so the numbers are increasing as you have free scripts being offered and very poor countries getting involved for a chance to make a quick buck.

Do i think google will devalue directorys in the near future? Trying to figure out anything google does is complex to say the least. IF we continue to allow free scripts to be offered, and the numbers to continue to rise then we may be penalized or devalued at some point in time,but for now we still are a vaulable resource for search engines to gather data and also for webmasters to gain valuable links back to thier websites.

What truelly makes a Web Directory stand out from the rest of the pack is the TIME and SKILL and $$$ you invest into it. In my eyes for anything website related to become successful on the internet you have to PROMOTE your product, because if you are not seen or heard how does anyone know you even exist.

To me the end result of your promotional skills is when google decides your actual worth or value in PR as this is when others will recognize who you really are.

malcolm1, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  5. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    malcolm1, Very nice post it’s really hard to make it different and brand it, that is really what is going to set the diference.

! Ask !, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  6. SUP3RNOVA

SUP3RNOVA Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, if you want to make money, you have to eventually put some money into it.

For my newest site [url="http://www.profitgeek.com]Profit Geek[/url], we're running a contest in the forums and giving away well over $1000 in cash and prizes. And that will attract some people we're hoping.

SUP3RNOVA, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  7. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is very true, as its the only way to go.

malcolm1, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  8. Kyle H.

Kyle H. Active Member

Best Answers:
    I see nothing wrong with starting multiple directories. Always diversify your portfolio.

Kyle H., Nov 7, 2006 IP
  9. uberman

uberman Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya, Thanks.
    I see serious webmasters really work hard as opposed to working a 9-5job. These guys/gals slogging/blogging and getting peanuts but they still persist. Passion is another key word. :)

uberman, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  10. uberman

uberman Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't this the exception rather than the rule in this ultracompetitive market. IMHO, I mean for every $x,xxx per month, there are probably 9 that make $xxx per mth and 90 that make $x per mth.
    I would also say top directories that make $x,xxx per mth have been around for years.:D

uberman, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  11. uberman

uberman Peon

Best Answers:
    hey, I am talking about the average directory and average Paid submissions. :D

uberman, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  12. uberman

uberman Peon

Best Answers:
    ya, that is what I think also. Directories owners are like a closed community.... though as someone mentioned earlier, no harm spreading and bringing in larger community using blogs. :D

uberman, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  13. seo_kate

seo_kate Peon

Best Answers:
    if you work hard it will definitely be profitable as u can charge the website for submissions

seo_kate, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  14. ian_batten

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that info Malcom...it clearly isn't as easy as one might think to setup a successful directory.

ian_batten, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  15. anewgo

anewgo Peon

Best Answers:
    i see a lot of paid manual Directory submission post lately on DP, now after reading this thread it makes all sense, that it is tough to get good pr for a dir..
    so it is good to pay for manual submission

anewgo, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  16. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will have to correct you a little on that. First, establish yourself in a specific niche then diversify.

aspidov, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  17. rankland

rankland Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree to a point, but if you own 1 directory of any sort it gets 100% of all your efforts, and in todays directory world its the only way to succeed.

If i build 10 directories its like climbing a tree with no arms, there is too much work required to promote one. :D

rankland, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  18. cgfx

cgfx Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the main key here is 'Focus, focus, focus'.

cgfx, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  19. allreal

allreal Peon

Best Answers:
    What about free directories? What is the business model behind offering directory submissions for free??

allreal, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  20. ian_batten

Best Answers:
    You can generate revenue from advertising. And I guess when your directory has built up a substantial amount of lisitngs, you can then begin to charge.

ian_batten, Nov 9, 2006 IP