1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which CMS Platform?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by FallenShadow, Dec 17, 2011.

So, I am wondering if there are people out there who have an extended knowledge of CMS platforms who could help me, I need some help making a decision.

I've been contemplating 3 options:

1) WordPress; It has become more than a blogging system and it has some features I need. Such as the ability to be a blog, maintain a fully functional site, allows me to host and have IPB integration (ability to use IP.B database on WordPress for members to log in once for both (WP/IPB).

2) Drupal; It's a more complex and powerful CMS platform than WordPress and allows all the same abilities as WordPress (sans the IP.B Integration). I really need to be able to connect the two via 1 database for users (not so much posts just the same reg/login system). If you have any information on anything for Drupal regarding IP.B, please link me and let me know if you have any personal experience with it. (I already know about IPBridge, but I'm not certain on it yet)

3) Completely hard coded; The less likely of the three choices, seeing as it maximizes my required workload and is the opposite of a CMS really. I can code the pages to be functional in HTML/CSS/JS, I wouldn't trust myself to build a secure PHP login or a secure bridge with IP.B. Would also take a lot more time.

So far, these are my three choices.. I just can't seem to come to a decision. So if anyone has any knowledge and would be able to help me with this decision, here are some more factors to think about.

Firstly, I am open to other options aside from Drupal and WP (if they meet my requirements)

1. It needs to be able to run/create/maintain 1000s of pages (yes, thousands) as well as allowing comments for whichever page(s) i decide.
    2. Not overly complicated to skin/design.
    3. IP.B integration for single use database
    4. Either integrated litebox image thumbnails (thumbnails in posts opening full view in a litebox environment) or ability to do so with a plugin.
    5. Secure rating system (either integrated or plugin/widget) [1-10 or 20 star system]
    6. Secure and well scripted search features (Site will include a directory and searches need to be handled well)
    7. Easy to use control panel for posting new pages/articles to directory

Entire site encompasses a blog (for news/articles etc), a directory (with comments/ratings), eventually a shop and the IP.B forum for community.

So, if anyone has any information that could deemed useful, please share and I would greatly appreciate it. Serious comments/suggestions only. Please don't attempt or aid in derailing this thread. Thank you.

FallenShadow, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  2. lamvt

lamvt Active Member

Best Answers:
    my Insurance news site use wordpress with PhpBB3 bridge : http://tinbaohiem.com (worpress) and http://tinbaohiem.com/baohiem (phpBB3)
    but I suggesion: Joomla with 4rum components is nice (you can brigde joomla with phpBB, VBB)
    CMS JOOMLA
    4RUM: PHPBB intergation with bridge component (or Kunena 4rum component)
    SHOP: Virtuemart component
    COMMENT: Joom comment component
    goodluck

lamvt, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  3. FallenShadow

FallenShadow Active Member

Best Answers:
    That'd be ok if perhaps I were using either phpBB or vB, but there's not way I'm using either of those. Especially not phpBB. Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. mondala

mondala Active Member

Best Answers:
    I run Subdreamer CMS, which integrates with IPB. Your need for ratings might have to be reviewed and our core search features are probably not adequate right now which won't be addressed until this summer. Otherwise SDCMS might be up for consideration. Generally you can't go wrong with Wordpress.. though I'm sure how solid their IPB bridge is but everything else you need would be there or available by addon.

Good luck with your project.

mondala, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  5. FallenShadow

FallenShadow Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ratings are one thing I might be able to reconsider (if not just code myself as I have before) but search functions are non-negotiable.. Especially for the directory portion. But thank you, I've never heard of Subdreamer and I may look into it for other things.

From what I've gathered, WP has the best IP.B bridge that I've seen, though I need to look more into Drupal's IPBridge as well