1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Too many social sites ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by peachy217, Dec 9, 2011.

I'm getting tired of these social networks popping up day by day. It's almost as if someone wakes up in the morning and says "Hey, I got it ! Lets make a social network for dog lovers, cat lovers, video game lovers, <insert niche here>"

Everyday in our office we get 2-3 proposal requests to develop a social website which centers around a niche. There are now ready made scripts available that let you just create a social network in 5 minutes.

Social this, Social that.
    And then after building a custom made social network, they end up integrating it with facebook, twitter. I mean, how many social networks can a user practically be a member of ?

Aren't people pushing the social concept too far ? I think the thought process has become stagnant and repetitive due to lack of a unique business idea.

peachy217, Dec 9, 2011 IP
  2. Kim Bosarge

Kim Bosarge Peon

Best Answers:
    some point I agree.

Kim Bosarge, Dec 9, 2011 IP
  3. tsak

tsak Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Social networks are spaming the net. They think that they will succeed by not having a unique idea. People tend to copy big sites and try to create their own with the idea that they can get bigger.

tsak, Dec 10, 2011 IP
  4. pearl17

pearl17 Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree , i am member on 3 social networks atm , and i would definitely join any other social network that pop ups today , but it should have a UNIQUE IDEA ,Which is not available on other 3 which i am currently using ;)

pearl17, Dec 10, 2011 IP
  5. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah i do agree with you. Everyday a new social network is started. And this industry is going no where.

wildogre, Dec 10, 2011 IP
  6. avinashphoneix

avinashphoneix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Your point is very valid to a certain extent. People are reluctant to come up with unique business ideas. There is always a copy cat success formula which can be successful to a certain extent. However, these networking sites will give a good business opportunities in the third world countries. The fact is so simple! The internet penetration is low in these countries. They can easily attract the crowd if they can be early bird.

avinashphoneix, Dec 10, 2011 IP
  7. Endless Rain

Endless Rain Member

Best Answers:
    Have you heard also about pocodot.com. It's another social networking site. I joined to a lot of social networks so I got a lot of notifications also. lol. I'm just happy to communicate different people around the world.

Endless Rain, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  8. ogurtsov alexey

ogurtsov alexey Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot depends on your need to communicate. Information density is so high now that people often do not pay attention to the fact that they sent for review. This is a way to protect against overload. People protect their personal space. Owners of social networks need to realize this and be socially responsible.

ogurtsov alexey, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  9. XaKePaT

XaKePaT Active Member

Best Answers:
    i found a lot of nerworks but it`s nosense to register in a lot of places.Just register in the biggest.

XaKePaT, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  10. awebmaster2008

awebmaster2008 Member

Best Answers:
    +100 agree with you.

awebmaster2008, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  11. xcellence

xcellence Peon

Best Answers:
    Nyc one i agree with u

xcellence, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  12. websitebuildersperth

websitebuildersperth Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah i do agree with you. Everyday a new social network is started. And this industry is going no where.

websitebuildersperth, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  13. dylanmorris

dylanmorris Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree but you see there are a lot of unique users hence; the need to create new ones for their unique business.

dylanmorris, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  14. elitebag

elitebag Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree with you .It is quite tired and boring to do SEO for website too.

elitebag, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  15. shaggymac

shaggymac Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agree, I think FB is past its peak...but still king. Many other social media sites that have no value-added or substance.

shaggymac, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  16. ColinLiang

ColinLiang Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't actually think that having all these niche social networks is a bad thing. The bad thing is that most of them suck. It seems that most of these new social networks is basically a Facebook clone with a logo tagged on for good measure. They don't actually do anything new or make it much cooler to use for that audience.

There's a market for niche social networks (many SUCCESSFUL innovative ones already exist), but only if they're done well. Social networks aiming to make a quick buck will go no where.

ColinLiang, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  17. ceekeigh

ceekeigh Peon

Best Answers:
    Social networks are becoming a trend nowadays. I think it's mainly because of meeting new friends, discovering things, etc. They're spamming the net already lol.

ceekeigh, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  18. BradAllen

BradAllen Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of social sites out there but there are so many people online that I think the demand is high. I also think niche specific sites are great for targeted people in that niche. But I do think they should be well built sites that are rewarding to be a part of.

BradAllen, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  19. harjos

harjos Peon

Best Answers:
    In the past decade, hundreds of “social networking” sites have appeared. Recently, I’ve been getting burned out using them, and that has got me thinking “why are there so many?” Anyway, one use is, getting a link to our site.

harjos, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  20. frozzy

frozzy Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right, this will continue until new addiction. Someday in the near future, something more advanced than social networks will appear and SN will be forgotten, nothing and no one lives forever.

frozzy, Jan 24, 2012 IP