1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this a Good Custom PC Setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMOLLA, Dec 15, 2011.

I recently purchased these items for my custom PC setup, are they compatible together and are they good for the price?

Motherboard and CPU AND RAM Bundle - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-AMD-1...2?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item1c1b58dc0e

Case - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Envizage-...ting_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item1c2121b680

Hard Drive - http://www.codemicro.com/store/product/BP/Seagate-st3320820as-New.php

Graphics Card - http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/11199877/art/vtx3d/radeon-hd-4850-1-gb-gddr5.html

Also is that all I need, I read something about thermal paste and will I need to purchase additional cables?

Thanks,
    Archie

AMOLLA, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    You'll also need a PSU.
    No idea about the components, and if they're compatible or not. If you're serious, then there are much better forums than DP for getting PC building advice from.
    BUT
    Yes, you'll need thermal paste to put between your processor and your heatsink. It costs a few dollars. Or you can buy fancy stuff that costs a few dollars more and makes a few degrees difference. Google it before you do it.
    Most motherboards come with enough cables to get you going (your eBay item says 2 x SATA Cables are included).
    If this is your first build, then be prepared for mistakes, missing bits, stuff not working, posting on forums, and lots of pain and sorrow - followed by a huge wave of elation and satisfaction when it all lights up and starts working.

Kerosene, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  3. AMOLLA

AMOLLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the response!
    So even if the processor comes in a bundle with the heatsink, it wont be glued together?

The case I believe comes with a 500W PSU.

Will I be needed an Anti-Static Wrist Strap aswell?

Cheers,
    Archie

AMOLLA, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  4. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Most motherboard + CPU + heatsink combos aren't pre "glued".
    You'll need to CAREFULLY drop your CPU into the motherboard, then put a smear of thermal paste on the CPU, then clamp down the heatsink.
    You need to Google each step for your specific setup. It's easy.
    Unless you go skating around in your socks on cheap carpet you should be OK.
    Go touch your stove to discharge any static electricity.

Is this the first time you've built your own PC?
    Make sure you KNOW that what you're doing is right before you do it/buy it.

Kerosene, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  5. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "A smear" of thermal paste means just a film. Thermal paste is actually a heat insulator if it's too thick.

To "discharge static", you don't touch your stove, you make sure you, the computer and the part you're installing are at the same potential. (That's why a bird can sit on a 316,000 volt powerline with no problem - the entire bird is at the same voltage as the powerline, so no current flows.) Make sure that you're in contact with the computer case at all times. Put the CPU - in the anti-static bag - on the computer case. Then pick it up and remove the CPU, and place it into the socket on the motherboard. (You've already installed the motherboard into the case, of course.)

The CPU, RAM and motherboard will all work together. The CPU is a bit old, and the Sempron is a bit "weak", but the price is good. (You can spend over GBP1,000 for a current top-of-the-line CPU and a fast motherboard.)

The hard drive is a bit old (Seagate is now up to 7200.12) the best drive of its time, and we still have a lot of them still working.

What else do you need? Where will you buy things? Find a local computer shop and ask questions. You already bought the expensive parts at a good price - if you're ripped off for a few pennies by buying locally you won't be too bad off, but you'll gain a lot of knowledge.

Rukbat, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  6. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes they are compatible together they are good for price.

Now I'm going to be honest here and I really doubt that you will like the honest answer. But in my opinion the config is an odd one. I'll never couple HD4850 with a Sempron. Sempron is a good processor for its price, however 4850 is an overkill for it. Believe it or not, when it was launched, 4850 was a upper mid range card while Sempron has always been an entry level CPU like Celeron. So there is going to be a huge bottleneck between CPU and GPU, I believe your reason to buy 2 generation old, yet upper mid range card is to play older games at higher details or latest games at mid details, that aint gonna happen with the CPU you purchased.

Watch this video to learn about how to apply thermal compound to a CPU -

[video=youtube;o7rPqCvCt0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g[/video]

About additional cables, you may need additional SATA cables, it totally depends on what you are using.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    The Webby, Dec 20, 2011 IP