1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Calculate Bandwidth/Download speeds

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Weirfire, Nov 7, 2006.

Is it possible to calculate the bandwidth of a user viewing your site or calculate what speed they can download at?

Weirfire, Nov 7, 2006 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think it is possible with php. You can do it with flash and I think you may be able to do it with javascript.

I think the most common method is to use flash to detect the bandwidth, and then set a cookie with a certain value in it based on the user's bandwidth. You can then later check for the cookie, and deliver content as appropriate.

Here's one page about it. I couldn't find a good tutorial about how to actually implement it that way you are looing for.
    http://www.sonify.org/home/feature/remixology/019_bandwidthdetection/

jestep, Nov 7, 2006 IP
    Weirfire likes this.
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    are you trying to see how fast your site is capable of sending information?

if so, the best way to test your possible max bandwidth throughput is by having someone test by, say, wgetting another file from another server on a fast line. upload a file and I could test it for you, if you like.

this is of course more accurate than home users because most of them have speeds ranging from 768K to 2MB, or rarely maybe 5MB, whereas another server could be burstable to 100mbps or higher.

disgust, Nov 7, 2006 IP