1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Editors - Digital Point Alliance

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Radamanto, Dec 1, 2011.

1. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well you started in this thread in a decent tone of conversation and now....you show the true side of you, the one that is simply a sour and nasty old bag. Yet you expect courtesy from other people??? Not a chance......

snooks, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    OK, so what you are saying is that ALL failed applications result in a generic email because that is what you got, and that all editors get abused by asian men because that's what happened to another editor as well... do I have this correct now?

When I reapplied I didn't get that standard letter... I got an all out 30 email conversation with some other editor... and still it was never resolved.

That conversation was about paid listings not existing, lol. They disproved ONE so all the others must be mistakes or errors or some other nonsense.

In fact, my application was NEVER rejected, the editor I was talking to just stop replying once he realized that he could not explain away all the other instances of positive feedback for completed transactions for ODP listings (but leave this where it is, it's off topic here, and I am using it from personal experience and not as a method for thread derailment) he simply stopped replying to me, so I left well enough alone.

Why on earth would you (and assumingly other editors) all feel that if it happens ONCE, then in all cases it must be exactly the same in all other cases. No wonder you guys don't like webmasters... one of them was mean to you! I'd assume you'd hate all end users if someone that liked to search though categorized content was mean to a fellow editor *rolls eyes*

[video=youtube;gkp7f8IxJNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkp7f8IxJNU[/video]

In all, MOST rejected editors get the generic form letter, and most people that contact editors are not doing so to threaten them. HOWEVER, that is not the case in all instances. Some rejected would be editors don't get anything. Some people that contact editors really want to kill them.

Qryztufre, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  3. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now hold on. Lets backtrack this for a second. I'm not that old. I'm 27yrs old.
    In this topic I don't require courtesy, but I was making a simple point.
    While the one editor claimed that he and every editor are doing everything out of hobby and not doing bad things, I had showed a source that shows that its all entirely true. Lets re-cap that source. In the topic: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1996205
    Random guy: asks "how long it takes to get into Dmoz?"(honest normal and typical question)
    Editor 1(jimnoble): "you'll find the answers have already been posted in this thread a gazillion times :(. Start with the sticky 101 at the top of the page." (nicely refers the guy to use the search as the question has been answered several times.)
    Myself(lacey): "It takes only a week if your site is super high quality. For the typical webmasters site it will take 6 to 12 months if it even gets approved. " (answers the guy toward the way she's noticed how dmoz works. Nothing offensive)
    Editor 2(Creed): Responds offended and quotes lacey with some kind of rude sarcastic remark, "Must be some kind of filter that funnels all of the "super high quality" submissions into the uber fast review/list me in a week pool. " (Wow, this guy takes dmoz pretty seriously for being a volunteer. Almost unwelcoming.)
    Editor 3(Anonymous): Laughs with Creeds sarcastic remark.

Lacey receives 4 negative reputation points in one single day by users who do not release their name.

Conclusion:
    That topic gives solid ground evidence that many of the dmoz editors are not only randomly insulting and do not like community conversation, but they also team up and stick together like some mafia(from the reputation hits I received).
    I did not say anything even close to offensive but the editors got together and all negative rep-ed me to get me away. What I don't get it why you guys are even here? If you want to cast everyone out then why don't you go to your own editor only forum?
    Instead there's a topic like this that says everyone should get together. Well, I know for a fact due to that source I just explained, that is not what many of the editors want.

Snooks, if you think you can defend the way the editors were from that topic I just explained, then you are just stuck in your own brainwashed dmoz twisted world, because I did not say one thing offensive until after I got bombarded by the bunch of editors.

You want an alliance, Dp members are not at war, but before editors will get the respect they want, the few of you who are teaming up jerks who all stand in one corner pointing at one person are going to have to get off of your pedestal. Until then Dmoz is corrupt. Personally I think Shawn is paid for having this dmoz forum up.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
    Laceygirl, Dec 3, 2011 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    End of my participation in this thread.

Anonymously, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Why? Because you have no desire to make DMOZ a better place?

I suspect it's truth in these words...
    Stick around, help make change... help make the ODP something that people other then webmasters & editors want to visit!

Qryztufre, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  6. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What the heck? You were not even in the source that I showed? Why are you wanting out?
    This is your chance to say start afresh. You can say something like "Oh, yes, after looking at that topic I can see that its obvious that some editors did team up there and were not very nice. Sometimes it just gets us bitter that everyone always asks the same questions and they judge us so harshly so then we can be harsh and stick together. It would be awesome to turn it around and have peace between DP members and the DMOZ editors. I'm willing to try if you are".

See, you say that then were getting somewhere.
    If you back out now then it showed that you are only here to fiercely protect the other Dmoz editors and because i called a few out on some rude behavior, you are unwilling to admit your faults then truly you have no intention to be equal into conversation with regular DP members. You want to stick with your crew.
    Make the right move. I'm here to help.

Laceygirl, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  7. Master Directory

Master Directory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    1. we never know why our site reject or any announcement or reply about it.

Master Directory, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Get the facts right Lacey :)

I did you a red rep and i made sure to leave my name.....i wanted you to know who it was from. :)

By the way, Creed is not and never has been an Editor.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
    snooks, Dec 3, 2011 IP
  9. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was talking about the other topic, douche bag.
    And look at you dancing around the whole point. Is that because The dp members will find realize that you guys are just a bunch of bullies?
    really? he sure acts like one, he must have something to do with the place considering his sign link.

Laceygirl, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Want to talk about showing true colors? Look at your posts in this thread (and most others).

LOL, yeah Lacey, the ONLY day that has ever existed was the day Snooks gave you his bad rep! God forbid that anyone else gives rep without their name on any other day!

Why not change your ways... it would REALLY help the ODP out if people could see that most of their editors were not trolls that favor personal attacks within threads then actually keeping a decent thread like this one alive and well. It truly does seem that editors do not want to make change, that they like it how it is... with the elitist attitude of editors left in check.

So I guess you are out of the thread as well? Or are you willing to stick around to continue to make it personal rather then contribute? It's sad that this thread has degraded this far...

Thanks Editors! I can see how your Alliance is really going...

Qryztufre, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  11. bintababy

bintababy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Friend,
    compliment of the season to you, How is life with you over their? i will like to introduce my self to you. My name is Miss Binta. i look for long term relationship honest one i saw your profile on this dating site i feel interested of you why i contacted you, If you are interested for serious relationship contact me on my Email for more discussions then i will send you my photo,I wait for your responses soon.
    Regards
    Binta.

Email:

bintababy, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im still here Q and will answer anything said to me in a reasonable manner and not simply aimed at an arguement, but sadly, it is you who trolls and causes issues. When that happens, i just tune out and wander off cause its not worth wasting words on you:(

People can see me on here for what i am and if they choose to like or dislike me, then that is their choice. Hopefully people do like and respect me but if they dont, well i wont be losing any sleep over it.

I do what i do and the fact that you dont like it, the fact you want more, or something different just doesnt irk me one bit. You are basically a rabble rouser, you are an ex-editor with a stone to grind and i have no interest in an ongoing battle with you......i have better things to do.

But yeh....im still around, i just may not answer you:) lol

snooks, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This guy must have been very poor or very cheap. Why someone wants to threaten someone when you can buy DMOZ listings for 50-100 dollars all day long?

My old thread with DMOZ price list and how to buy it: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=445035

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
    gworld, Dec 11, 2011 IP
  14. Radamanto

Radamanto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True :) Im clearly not speaking for DMOZ, and as we can all see in this thread, the majority of the other DMOZ editors seem to be a bit scared to generate exchange spaces like the one we could promote here. This is just an effort i´d be willing to accept and maybe other editors might wish to do the same if they see that it works.

Radamanto, Dec 11, 2011 IP
  15. Radamanto

Radamanto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know i havent posted much on DP, but I joined DP on April 2007, a couple of months before you. Not sure if that makes me a DP newbie. I´ve been a DMOZ editor for a little longer than 5 years.

Its not a matter of seniority or experience, its a matter of being open to new ideas.

Radamanto, Dec 11, 2011 IP
    queenb likes this.
  16. williamsweb

williamsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's a nice alliance and would be helpful to lots of people like me.

I really need help getting my site listed. :(

williamsweb, Dec 11, 2011 IP
  17. MakZF

MakZF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People just have to accept DMOZ is a complete lottery and move on. There must be a gazillion sites pending approval, there's no way they can check them all.

MakZF, Dec 11, 2011 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I can't rep ya again... but thank you for saying that. It's editors like yourself that eventually can make change for the better. The ODP really needs to step up to the times and continue with their upgrades, but not just to this generations web options, but also with how they run the place. I wish you nothing but the best of luck in this endeavor.

Qryztufre, Dec 11, 2011 IP
  19. simplisticdesigns

simplisticdesigns Peon

Best Answers:
    Lets face it, DMOZ is given too much emphasis by various sources of SEO advice. The fact is that DMOZ is flawed, there are millions of websites at some stage in the application process and nowhere near enough editors to ever get through them all. Because of the over emphasis, people get themselves down as their site isn't accepted or they are waiting for the result of their application. A lot of authoritive people seem to believe that DMOZ editors are selling places on the directory, so chances are it's true that the odd editor has attempted this but my geuss is that most of the guys do as good a job as possible.

Just my thoughts. Kind Regards,

Ally

simplisticdesigns, Dec 11, 2011 IP
  20. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is NOT worth the time or the headache.

indyonline, Dec 11, 2011 IP
    queenb likes this.