1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is starting a dating website worth it?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by jbthedon, Dec 7, 2011.

I have a couple of ideas of niches for dating websites. I see that it is a highly competitive industry. For people that own dating sites can you tell me is it worth the time.

jbthedon, Dec 7, 2011 IP
  2. Max Singapore

Max Singapore Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is a really good question , and is also a frequent Asked question by many people for thing that there are unsure or about to venture into .

While i do not have the perfect answer or a simple Yes no reply to this excellent question .

i would like to bring to attention a few point for everyone to consider base on this analog .

1. How much you expect to earn from it , to give anything a value to justify the time and money we invest really depend on how much money you have .

In a perfect world ,if i have $2000 and every dating site that i do cost me $200 and each earn me $3-5 a days
    in my view - in a year time i am getting back a happy $3x30x10x 12 = $10800
    To consider a return 500 % HELL Yes is worth while doing it .

Then let track back a little back to reality .
    Online related business is build very much base on the amount if Traffic we can Generate so in a Competitive industry
    what you should consider is if you can round up the remaining traffic or you can push yourself up front to catch that much needed exposure for your investment to give you the much wish for return .

There are many ways to reaching that .
    Seo services , Good social networking , Advertising ,ideal planning and understanding your niche and targeted but all this take money . and will eat into your profit .

Earning money online is really a lots like the movie " 300 " if you can choose a good geographical location to def or pit your stand , you can really take on the Big boys . The question you should ask is how long you can last and if you ready for a long wars or you prefer a quickly run away success on a much easier target like taking a lollipop from a baby .

just leaving a few point . if you need any advice or services feel free to buzz me :)

Anything is possible , is how much you spend and how long you want to stay on .

Max Singapore, Dec 7, 2011 IP
    jbthedon likes this.
  3. devcellent

devcellent Peon

Best Answers:
    There are already quite a number of dating sites. Unless the new site brings something new, I do not know how much money making the new site would be!

devcellent, Dec 7, 2011 IP
  4. jbthedon

jbthedon Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks for the response

jbthedon, Dec 7, 2011 IP
  5. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    I've been thinking of starting a dating site as well. I think research is an important element that needs to be considered. Consider your start up cost and the competition that might already be within the niche you are considering. You also have to factor in your start up cost and how you hope to earn money. Webmasters consider the dating niche to be a truly great membership site to build because if you charge a monthly fee you can build income that comes consistently. There are so many options within that niche that you can even write a book and do an amazing job at earning a living. Expand your idea to something that works for you and also earns for you and you will be perfect. :)

sweetcrabhoney18, Dec 7, 2011 IP
  6. jakesroy91

jakesroy91 Guest

Best Answers:
    If you can include something new at your site then it is much worthy for you

jakesroy91, Dec 8, 2011 IP
  7. livedating

livedating Active Member

Best Answers:
    It took me about 5 years to deeply understand this niche and turn my website www.LiveDateSearch.com into a profitable business.
    So if you consider online dating website from ROI point of view only, then I would rather not recommend you to start it at all. The reason is that competition in this niche is really too high these days.
    But if you really feel that you can bring value to this world with your website, then go ahead! In this case it will be not only about money, but more about what you are bringing to this world. You should truly believe that your online dating site helps people in improve their lives, and only in this case you will be rewarded.
    But with online dating niche this is not easy. There are too many issues like scammers, fake profiles, adult dating profiles, privacy issues etc. And it needs some time to find a good solution for these challenges in order to make a good website.
    I'm now looking for a partner to develop another dating website - www.LiveDating.me. It is based on my LiveDateSearch.com engine and is positioned as "facebook for dating". You can check demo here: http://beta.livedating.me/

livedating, Dec 9, 2011 IP
  8. Ella_Z.

Ella_Z. Peon

Best Answers:
    Since facebook is so popular and used worldwide, i can't understand the necessity of dating websites :)

Ella_Z., Dec 13, 2011 IP
  9. serena85

serena85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I will be very short,.....NO.

serena85, Dec 13, 2011 IP
  10. tsak

tsak Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are so popular social network websites that will probably fail.
    Just sit down and think something unique and stick with it.
    Think what people need and want and search if there is something like that.

tsak, Dec 13, 2011 IP
  11. afterburn25

afterburn25 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes dating sites will make money in spite heavy competition from the big players. #1 people will always pay for dating sites cause people don't wanna be alone. #2 just cause there on a big site such as match.com in spit of there huge member base doesn't mean there successful at finding a match or even a date. most people will go between different sites to try them out thinking one may be more successful then the other. even sites like match.com scam potential members into signing up with there enormous amounts of fake profiles. #3 even though people say you can not compete with these big players you still see new dating sites doing it everyday and making good money off it.
    all this talk about needing something new or offering something that these guys don't offer well out of millions of sites its pretty safe to say every things already been done. you don't need something new just offer better prices and problem solved.
    think about it how much do these guys charge pretty ridicules amount to cover there overhead costs you starting our do not have a full staff in a 5 story building. so you can offer one thing these guys will never want to offer cheaper prices.
    most sites charge on average between 20-30 dollars eharmony is a whopping 60 a month go down to say 10 starting out and for every 10,000 subscribers is a decent 100,000 dollars not a bad return.. if you have the time to spend i would suggest offering free memberships to get your member base up then once you have a good sized community you can start charging a modest fee you can still earn on your adsence and affiliate ads in the meantime.
    Bottom line is dont let any one discourage you from trying just cause they failed at something or didnt have the guts to try it doesn't equal failure for you. stick with what you want to do make a plan and go for it

afterburn25, Apr 1, 2012 IP
  12. p.caspian

p.caspian Peon

Best Answers:
    But Facebook is not a dating site and I don't think that dating site and social networking site are same.

p.caspian, Apr 1, 2012 IP
  13. afterburn25

Best Answers:
    facebook does not cater to people wanting to hook up its meant to bring friends and family together and build a community not for dating cant even compare the 2

afterburn25, Apr 1, 2012 IP
  14. johnnywebb

johnnywebb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't own a site, but while it's competitive, it's also an open market and lucrative from what I hear. People are always allured by the promise of love so I think if you start it and keep at it you should find success. Good luck and all the best to you.

johnnywebb, Apr 2, 2012 IP
  15. WilliamFPS

WilliamFPS Peon

Best Answers:
    I really think this is quite an overcrowded market space now. Unless you have a really niched idea (remember too niched and you wont get enough people).

WilliamFPS, Apr 2, 2012 IP
  16. FileHost.

FileHost. Peon

Best Answers:
    Old thread I know but the dating niche is massively saturated and it is felt by many to be incredibly difficult to succeed as a new start-up in this area nowadays.

FileHost., Apr 3, 2012 IP
  17. afterburn25

Best Answers:
    yes it is massively saturated but do a search on anything and you will find the same thing in general its hard to start any internet business. however if you have money to spend and have time to waste (in other words don't quit your day job) its not quite as bad. be patient build your traffic gradually over time. be prepared to spend money. most internet start ups start with little money most times just enough for hosting and software thinking they will be rich over night. unfortunately those days are long over. spend money in different areas. Google adsence, email marketing, SEO, banner/link exchanges, create backlinks slowly and naturally offer free service till you get enough people and don't try to start out in global market a lot cheaper to start small and work your way out gradually. it can work just takes time so don't give up i know I'M not.

afterburn25, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  18. lothos

lothos Member

Best Answers:
    It's pretty saturated. I'm sitting on a really good dating domain name, haven't done anything with it yet. Got part way through writing the script and now I'm considering selling the domains since I'm focusing on a few other sites now.

A unique idea should do well. A generic site that looks like every other site probably won't.

lothos, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  19. afterburn25

Best Answers:
    whats the name i may be interested

afterburn25, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  20. Spiderdog20

Spiderdog20 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You have to give the users something special, that no other site offers. Otherwise you will just be another dating website that will fail. Sounds easy ;)

Spiderdog20, Apr 7, 2012 IP