1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Nima, Dec 4, 2011.

Nima, Dec 4, 2011 IP
  2. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    it's a great book. What do you think?

thesickearth, Dec 5, 2011 IP
  3. Ella_Z.

Ella_Z. Peon

Best Answers:
    Just one of my most favourite books. I adore books of this genre. When you're reading dystopian books, it makes you think what's going around. Before "Atlas Shrugged" i've read "Brave New World" by A. Huxley and it impressed me much. Btw, If you've liked Atlas then this one will also become your favourite!

Ella_Z., Dec 5, 2011 IP
    Nima likes this.
  4. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm listening to the book right now (15 hours left from 50+ hours). I love the book too. I might not agree with all of Ayn Rand's philosophy but this book has definitely given me a new outlook on a lot of issues.

Ps. added "Brave New World" to my to-buy list

Nima, Dec 5, 2011 IP
  5. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    I absolutely loved "1984"

thesickearth, Dec 6, 2011 IP
  6. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rand is on the "Burn" list of the Occupy Wall St. forum. they hate her philosophy with a passion.

Obamanation, Dec 6, 2011 IP
  7. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly Obamanation, given our past discussions, I find your statements hard to believe without links or proof. However, I can very much see many #OWS not liking Ayn Rand's philosophy.

This is one of the ways I disagree with #OWS for their attacks on the rich. They put the wall street hedge fund owners and politicians in the same platter as industrialists and job creators. One takes money, the later makes it. It is wrong to punish anyone that's earned his/her money. They deserve every penny of it and no one has any right to tell them how to spend it. They shouldn't carry a higher burden of the taxes than they do either. I see the wall street influencers and insiders as James Taggart of the time.

I also think that Ayn Rand's philosophy is misinterpreted by those who refute her because she is supposedly materialistic which I don't think she is. She defines material wealth (the only real wealth) as the reward for man's achievements which he has every right to which is entirely different.

I admit that reading the book has shown me new perspective on different issues. I also think its the same thing whether the government steals people's money by tax or fraud or if a number of large corporations who run that government take their money.

Nima, Dec 6, 2011 IP
  8. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896 Peon

Best Answers:
    While I like the premise of books like Atlas Shrugged, I couldn't stand reading any of her books when in high school. To me they were boring and hard to read. I'm sure they'd be easier now, but after being scarred by having to read The Fountainhead during my Summer Vacation along with many other books while having to keep a reading journal that described not only what was happening but a detailed analysis, no way. I don't dis anyone for liking them; just saying that it's hard for me to read her books and this one is humongantuan.

sunfyre7896, Dec 8, 2011 IP
  9. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is a long and sometimes hard to read book. I have enjoyed it very much so far though. I try to find random 15 minutes here and there to finish it

Nima, Dec 8, 2011 IP
  10. webtalk101

webtalk101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Movie just came out...great..waiting for the sequel...

webtalk101, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  11. warloky

warloky Peon

Best Answers:
    The thread reminds me of Bob O'Reilly arguing in support of citizens who've done a good job with their businesses, professions and have part of their money taken away by new taxes and health care regulations thus diminishing their value as job creators and contributors to the national income.

warloky, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  12. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if you're supporting it or not. here is my thought; those who've worked hard to make a successful business deserve every bit of their income just like others who work hard as blue color workers, engineers, teachers, etc. The problem now is not that the rich are not paying a few percent lower or higher. The problem now is that corrupt gangs of wall street along with corrupt politicians are working hard to take people's money. One group (the successful businessmen) works hard and makes a lot of money, one group works hard to take a lot more money from people.

O'Reilly and many like him are fast to point out the fact that we shouldn't attack the wealthy just because they are wealthy (absolutely correct), but he fails to point out that we must attack corruption and jail those who use it to acquire wealth at the same time.

Nima, Dec 12, 2011 IP
  13. warloky

warloky Peon

Best Answers:
    By his such failure to single out corruption he shields (intentionally or not) those that really have gotten themselves wealthy by means less than honest. And this strategy usually involves business laced with politics. When there's too much politics in there, business gets good.

warloky, Dec 26, 2011 IP
    Nima likes this.