1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it possible to program this into a browser interface?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by slava, Nov 30, 2011.

I am looking to build a browser-based application, but I am facing problems with dimension and speed. Browser-based applications are two dimensional -- what you see is static. Client-based applications are three dimensional.

In a browser you see tabs, but really the information in the other tabs is not really there. The tabs are simply graphics. When one clicks on a different tab, the entire page reloads, and what was on the current tab is no longer there because you are seeing a picture, not a layered application. This means that there are a lot of page refreshes and it is difficult to hold onto the states of the other tabs. This information has to be stored somewhere.

I use a lot of context-sensitive input logic that needs to adjust to wherever the user clicks. This is much more complex than a simple data popup or a drop down box. These are complex controls.

So, the ultimate browser tool for me would be one that allows the browser to behave like a regular client application -- there doesn't need to be an entire page refresh (and the time it takes to do so) each time the context changes (which is constantly).

If you could direct me to a sample or real application that employs the versatility and speed I am looking for, fantastic. This is a heavy data entry application and speed is critical.

I need to know what platform the application is built on, and a live demo example. Thanks a lot.

slava, Nov 30, 2011 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    This isn't 1998 anymore. Google, Google Maps, GoogleDocs are examples. Simpler ones are sites I produce but won't link to.

It hasn't been necessary to refresh a page when changing context as you describe for many years.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 30, 2011 IP
  3. slava

slava Peon

Best Answers:
    That does not help me much...I need a specific demo example.I need to be able to enter data into forms on tab 1, switch to tab 2 and enter more data, switch back to tab 1 to complete entering data, and then go to tab 3, which will render my inputs from tab 1 and tab 2 into an output graphic. What platform can this be built on?

slava, Nov 30, 2011 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter. You don't have the knowledge to do such a thing.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 30, 2011 IP
  5. slava

slava Peon

Best Answers:
    I never said I would be doing this myself, and thank you for also not being helpful in answering my question.

slava, Dec 1, 2011 IP
  6. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Then you shouldn't be the one asking the question on a programming board.
    I did answer the question. You asked for a demo and I gave you three. Then you said they didn't help even though those sites all do exactly what you asked for.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 1, 2011 IP
  7. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What you need is AJAX - that allows you to "refresh" specific parts of a page (as small as a single pixel) without refreshing the page. AJAX is merely a technology, not something you "get". It's a combination of Javascript and the server-side language you're using.

Rukbat, Dec 1, 2011 IP
  8. proactiv3

proactiv3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Give a quick look (just a random example, but it seems to me that you are requiring a proof of concept): http://craftyjs.com/

That's just a sample of a Open Source game engine developed in Javascript but I think that its sufficient to demystify many of the statements you've posted on you're first comment. Download the engine's source code a take a look.

Another big example - take a look at the extJS library (this one is proprietary). Since you were comparing Desktop GUI\interaction vs browser, just for fun: http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.0.0/examples/desktop/desktop.html :)

But drhowarddrfine has a point - what you're asking is not rocket science nor anything absurdly new (we're not in 2000 anymore). But as he stated what you're asking cannot be explained in a couple of lines - I'd dare to say that not even reading a couple of (good) books would suffice.

Good luck!

proactiv3, Dec 1, 2011 IP
  9. Isuru

Isuru Active Member

Best Answers:
    Isuru, Dec 1, 2011 IP