1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why are Unique C Class IP's so damn important?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by rosskellypt, Oct 14, 2011.

First of all, what the hell is a Unique C Class IP? I can understand what a unique IP address is but Im lost with the whole C Class bit.

What happens if you have 2 or more links from the sampe IP pointing to your site? Do you get penalized? Do the links lose value?

Thanks in advance.

rosskellypt, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  2. c-lo

c-lo Peon

Best Answers:
    The search engines see 2 websites on the same Class C IP as being the same. Class C is the third set of numbers in an IP address. For example, in the IP address 192.48.222.50 the number 222 would be the class C. So you would want to typically avoid having links from 192.48.222.anyothernumber as these links will be worth little to nothing since you already have a link coming from that Class C.

Not 100% certain but I don't think you'll get penalized unless you have many links coming from the same class C. Because then Google starts suspecting that you are interlinking your own websites to gain pagerank.

Hope that helped.

c-lo, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  3. elicitservers

elicitservers Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you'll still get the link value. They're not important as long as you're not cross-linking your own sites. It's been announced by some SE reps that it wont affect your SERPs unless you are trying to pass around PR. Google is smart enough to know who owns the domains in question so even if you are using different "class-C" IP's, they'll still be aware. However if you are naturally link building, the IP that is linking to your domains doesn't matter.

elicitservers, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  4. imservicesolutions

imservicesolutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Getting links from different sites with the same Class C IP is one, of many by the way, factors that will determine the weight that bcaklink is going to carry.

Basically if you're getting a bunch of links from the same class c ip you're indicating that those sites are probably all owned by the same person (the assumption would be either you or someone with a link/blog farm) so obviously they're not going to be as valuable as if you had the same number of links on sites with all different class c ips (which indicates all of the sites are separate).

As said before though they will still count, just not as much and no you will not get penalized for linking from the same class c ip many times. I mean links are not just for the purpose of SEO there are plenty of legitimate scenarios for this such as owning many websites that are related and advertising between them for your visitors.

imservicesolutions, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  5. flithost

flithost Peon

Best Answers:
    As said before though they will still count, just not as much and no you will not get penalized for linking from the same class c ip many times.

flithost, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  6. c-lo

c-lo Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? I think you're giving Google too much credit. I really don't think they can tell who owns a domain if your sites are on different class C IPs and you have who-is privacy enabled. I mean, they could probably find out if they wanted to but I would think the chances of them investigating would be rather small.

c-lo, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  7. c-lo

c-lo Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, in regards to the comment about interlinking for advertisement purposes, I believe that's what no-follow was developed for. Personally, I would never interlink two sites on the same Class C...but to each their own. I do play it extra safe...almost to the point of paranoia. :)

c-lo, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  8. rosskellypt

rosskellypt Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok well thank you for all the replies guys, that was pretty helpful. I have seen loads of blog farms selling backlinks from their blog networks (some with the same c-class). It gives me a good understanding of assessing value and which ones to go for.

End conclusion: unique/different c-class IP's are better for achieving pagrerank and seo?

Cheers

rosskellypt, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  9. elicitservers

elicitservers Peon

Best Answers:
    The IP of a site doesn't relate in any way to the domain registration, so "class-c" or not doesn't mean anything in this regard. Yes, if you have WHOIS privacy enabled, they won't have access to your personal details without making a manual inquiry to your actual registrar to get the real info. I just mean in general, many websites/webmasters leave many footprints, and Google's algorithm I'm sure is complex enough to catch a lot of these mistakes made by webmasters.

elicitservers, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  10. c-lo

c-lo Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, I see what you're saying, elicitservers. I agree, it's easy to leave footprints behind and I do see it all the time. I just thought you meant Google had some top secret method, lol.

c-lo, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  11. triforce.co.in

triforce.co.in Peon

Best Answers:
    C class ip means if your ip address is like, 192.168.144.10 then 144 is called c class ip address And many directories have same c class ip. so if we If we submit link in all those directories then it will consider as a only one link because their database is common only front part has been look like different. so that's why one should not use same c class directories. it is nothing than waste of time.

triforce.co.in, Nov 17, 2011 IP
  12. PetDog

PetDog Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a little bit confused after reading this thread. One point, is it bad to interlinking my own websites for seo purpose?

PetDog, Nov 21, 2011 IP
  13. c-lo

c-lo Peon

Best Answers:
    PetDog, most search engines do not like you to link your own sites unless you are using the nofollow attribute. Hope that helps clear up some of the confusion.

c-lo, Nov 21, 2011 IP
  14. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Which, quite frankly, is never going to happen in a million years.

C Class IP's and WHOIS guard enabled puts you in a good spot, even for interlinking.

WebDev Solutions, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  15. PetDog

PetDog Peon

Best Answers:
    I see, thanks for explaining. I used to interlink my own websites but I didn't know that it's bad for search engines

PetDog, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  16. Fruktkaka

Fruktkaka Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Unless you, of course, put Google Analytics on your pages to keep track of all important SE stats. I know many webmasters who take pride in all their different IP's and stuff and then they have the same Analytics-ID on every one of the pages. Not that hard for Google to realize what's going on then. ;)

Fruktkaka, Nov 23, 2011 IP
  17. segarage

segarage Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't have to worry about c claa ips if you r not making a huge blog network

segarage, Nov 23, 2011 IP
  18. flvps

flvps Peon

Best Answers:
    "SEO hosting" is just wasting already limited IP addresses so shady hosting companies can charge you more money for something that you do not need

flvps, Nov 23, 2011 IP
  19. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where have you learnt such nonsense? It's a little humorous that you run a hosting company yourself. :eek:

It's an absolute fact that if you own multiple sites then there are big benefits in hosting each one on a separate IP address. Even Google themselves do not deny this.

WebDev Solutions, Nov 24, 2011 IP
  20. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Can I know where can we find references to your "Absolute fact"?

wisdomtool, Nov 24, 2011 IP