1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Linking with non related sites

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by clickngo, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi

I am wondering whether I might get hurt in search engine rankings/results if I link with sites that are not related to me at all.

Say I run a football site and I link with humor sites?

clickngo, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  2. markov

markov Peon

Best Answers:
    Linking with non related sites will not effect the SERP. One thing is clear, it does not have any positive result. So linking with non related sites is waste of time.

markov, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  3. clickngo

clickngo Peon

Best Answers:
    It could bring me visitors though.

Can it affect my SERP in any negative way?

clickngo, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  4. mpea

mpea Guest

Best Answers:
    It won’t help you, and if you link to link farms it will hurt you!
    the algos of the future may take linking to unrelated sites as a negative effect, try to build quality content with quality links.

mpea, Nov 4, 2006 IP
    Phynder likes this.
  5. clickngo

clickngo Peon

Best Answers:
    fair enough.

i was thinking of linking to davesdaily.com from my football forum ( an vice versa ).
    I guess I better now.

clickngo, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  6. felguard

felguard Active Member

Best Answers:
    Even though you're looking for traffic between the two sites, it's unlikely that you'll get quality traffic because people on the humor site are less likely to click on the football site since the topics vary by a lot.

felguard, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  7. bujes

bujes Peon

Best Answers:
    It should be quality traffic, because lots of people visits humor sites and like football.

bujes, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  8. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if your link is in a link farm , that will hurt your site. on the otherwise link is link . it will bring hit to your site and improve your page rank

trichnosis, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  9. Jasonb

Jasonb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You shoudnt do, it depends if they if you link to them without you linking back then it would do great for you allthough if you link to them and and them ect.. google may get abit confused about what content is accually on your site

Jasonb, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  10. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Impossible for the link to hurt you, that will make it to easy for your competition to hurt a your site.

Remember that you are building a site for your users and not the SE. Don't just get links that would not be of any benifit to the users :)

Subzero, Nov 5, 2006 IP
  11. Hoosierhunter

Hoosierhunter Peon

Best Answers:
    Think of the links you offer your visitors as a form of content. What you want is for your visitors to like the site and return. If you provide good links to sites that have information that will suppliment their visit to your site, they will likely regard you as a decent site to visit. If you can build relevance, like if your site is for football and you want to let people know about a fun site to visit during half-time, that's fine as long as you don't mislead your visitors about what the links are about. Humor sites can link with just about anybody without losing face, but if you're doing a football site, just put sites that don't really fit with your theme in a special area called half-time and describe the sites accurately, and it might be a nice element to add.

Hoosierhunter, Nov 5, 2006 IP
  12. tschrock

tschrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Non-related backlinks CAN help you in SERPs and I have one to proove it. In my sig there is a link to Music Boxes. Has nothing to do with computers, SEO, or anything technical at all.

Yet adding it to my signature boosted it from nowhere in the top 10,000 results to #26 in less than a week.

All backlinks help, but experience has told me that related backlinks are BETTER and MORE EFFECTIVE than non-related.

tschrock, Nov 5, 2006 IP
    kh7 likes this.
  13. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've asked this before and from what others have told me is that it can't hurt you, but it's possible that it cannot benefit you in search engine terms. :)

EGS, Nov 5, 2006 IP
  14. wireddeals

wireddeals Peon

Best Answers:
    You might want to read this on seomoz.org about keywords and search results:
    http://www.seomoz.org/blogdetail.php?ID=1512

wireddeals, Nov 5, 2006 IP
  15. euwe

euwe Peon

Best Answers:
    IF you don't put a link back

euwe, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  16. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I absolutely agree. Put the link on a page where it fits, like 'other interests' or something - or 'my other sites' or whatever. Unrelated links (if not to link-farms) do still matter. The border to 'link-farm' (you want neither website to become that) is when most of the content on your site starts being unrelated to your site. But a normal link, with descriptive link-text, to another site, will still generally help that second site. If both sites are really meant for people (not MFA or something) linking to them would also not hurt your own site. It's clear you should not overdo it, but in general it will not hurt you. Don't do a sitewide though - I would consider that overdoing it.

kh7, Nov 8, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.