1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Netbooks, smartphones and cloud computing are killing the desktop PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by borgy, Oct 11, 2011.

I think that in ten years, desktop computers will be a niche.

borgy, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  2. Tadanto Mandal

Tadanto Mandal Member

Best Answers:
    you are wright dude desktop pc is disappearing though market very soon

Tadanto Mandal, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  3. martyn123

martyn123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Desktop PCs are a lot more powerful than smaller devices, so I think gamers will still use them. Maybe they will still be used in the workplace too. But I agree that their market share will shrink.

martyn123, Nov 5, 2011 IP
  4. jaydeee

jaydeee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Desktop may reduce its dominance however I still see its use in the business.

jaydeee, Nov 6, 2011 IP
  5. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    No.
    2 totally separate markets...
    ---
    1. "Computer people". The kind of people that bought desktops in the 80s and 90s will continue to buy them. They are COMPUTER USERS. Add to that all the "non computer" people that are media creators that require a desktop (film makers/musicians/authors/artists etc).
    2. "The rest of the world". The same people that bought magazines, cable TV, newspapers etc... in the 80s and 90s are now consuming media via their phones and tablets. They are CONSUMERS, using consumer appliances. They have no interest in computers. They are buying phones and tablets just like they'd buy a toaster or vacuum cleaner.

Desktops will continue to sell.
    Media consumption devices (phones, tablets, etc) will continue to skyrocket.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
    Kerosene, Nov 6, 2011 IP
  6. burundian

burundian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The only people who will move from Desktop pc to smartphone are the people who were using the pc for reading email and nothing else. A real pc user needs more power, and i dont think the the smartphone or tablets will be able to provide it in their small form factor. Of fourse tablets will flood the morket and may replace the Pc, but that is not in the near future.

burundian, Nov 6, 2011 IP
  7. Justin_Dupre

Justin_Dupre Peon

Best Answers:
    Laptops today are even slowly replacing the desktop. If you have noticed, laptops are now created with specs that can match any desktop.

Justin_Dupre, Nov 6, 2011 IP
  8. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No matter what you use... A desktop PC is the best thing to use if you are at home.
    No other gadget is going to provide that comfort and ease of use which is provided by a PC.

Digital_shubhi, Nov 6, 2011 IP
  9. moffey

moffey Active Member

Best Answers:
    The PC is not dead yet. In the US, consumers and businesses will use other devices IN ADDITION TO the PC, not instead of.

moffey, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  10. bill9404

bill9404 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think your right, we will all be using wireless hand touch pads eventually. I would like to see hologram technology being used.

bill9404, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  11. karlos.adams

karlos.adams Peon

Best Answers:
    Desktop PC's are already a Niche, where you been? They won't dispear but the sales ratio of Laptops to desktops is 10:1. Desktops have their benefits as workstations which laptops, smartphones can never replace. Desktops are better for networking, graphic design and multimedia however the biggest let down is pre built pc's as the companies making them use lower quality parts and don't consider the higher end market for Designers, Programmers and Multimedia developers.

karlos.adams, Nov 15, 2011 IP