1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to STOP AdBlock and NoScript from BLOCKING Ads on site!?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by EGS, Nov 9, 2011.

Hello,

I am SO frustrated. For about 2 LONG years now, my users have been using AdBlock and NoScript to block ALL ads - most importantly Google Ads - from my site and forum, in which is massive and extremely expensive to host.

I have tried going through the paid membership route but nobody wants to do it since they can just use a browser extension to block ads. My site and forum is completely free and I don't understand why they are all doing this. They're all tech-savvy gamers so I need to figure out how I can stop these two extensions/programs from blocking ads, especially Google Ads? :confused: I don't have ANYTHING annoying or intrusive on the site to deserve this.

The site's traffic for years now - daily traffic - one visitor doesn't even equate to one impression anymore with AdSense. I went to earning $800 to $1,700 per month with AdSense and millions of impressions to barely $100 per month.

What am I to do!? I understand users' take on ads, but it's a flippin' free site/forum - most importantly a marketplace that they buy/sell/trade at and continuously makes THEM money. What am I to do?

Can we all do some type of class action lawsuit? We all are web developers that spend our time and money into domains, hosting, content, and promotion, for this? Pop-up and intrusive ad blockers are fine but JavaScript blockers? What am I to do!? What are we to do!? :confused::confused::confused:

EGS, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  2. DaStarBuG

DaStarBuG Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't really force your members to deactivate AdBlocker Software and even if you could they most likely would not click on your Ads.
    You can restrict access to your site for people using AdBlocker Software: http://www.antiblock.org/

However if this will help you? I doubt it.

If your users buy, sell and trade on your forums, why not make this only available to premium members for an anual flat fee?
    Or make your forum Ad Free for members and show Ads only to your guests?

What changed from the 1700$ days to now?
    Are you still receiving the same amount of visitors and page views?

DaStarBuG, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  3. yenerich

yenerich Active Member

Best Answers:
    Restrict access, they will turn off the adblocker.

yenerich, Nov 10, 2011 IP
  4. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unless your getting paid for impressions your users aren't going to click your ads in theory as they have those adblockers on for a reason.

RossCheal, Nov 10, 2011 IP
  5. wanderinglex47

wanderinglex47 Active Member

Best Answers:
    And now you got banned on DP after 6000+ posts... must be a bad streak of luck...

On topic: If you're reading this: I doubt it's possible to force people to stop using AdBlock, maybe have a part of your site that works only with it disabled? But then people will just go to other forums... Only thing I can think of is using the domain as a landing page for PPC (with a blog and all), or making money using other methods (sell banners, affiliate links, etc.).

wanderinglex47, Nov 10, 2011 IP
  6. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's one of the reasons why I advise to target a non technical audience when monetizing traffic with AdSense. Adblock is just one of the several reasons, and it's not even the most important one!

It's tricky, now that you have this succesful site, trying other type of ads will also lead to adblock blocking them eventually.. I don't know, as DaStarBug said, introduce a fee for posting stuff on marketplace. Of course there will be less activity, but since your site is already known, the first who will take the membership/fee will prompt others to do the same.. Fees are not much of a problem when the site is already famous, but for a new site it is quite unthinkable especially if the new site doesn't bring any real unique feature.

JamesColin, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  7. Branko Jovanovic

Branko Jovanovic Banned

Best Answers:
    Well then u can always try and go the other route - put a fee on succesfull transaction between users, so when they make money u should make 2 cents out of it.

Branko Jovanovic, May 8, 2017 IP
  8. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You have resurrected a thread that has been DEAD for SIX YEARS. Not only that, but the OP has not logged on in FOUR YEARS, so HOW do you expect him to do ANYTHING with your advice?

mmerlinn, May 8, 2017 IP
  9. Branko Jovanovic

Branko Jovanovic Banned

Best Answers:
    Adblock problem for website owners is still present, anyone having similar problem may stumble upon this and get a good advice.

Branko Jovanovic, May 8, 2017 IP