1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Your Adsense Ads Showing Irrelevant Ads?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by adsenseplr, Nov 3, 2011.

If you are fed up that your adsense ads are showing the "Wrong" ads e.g. ones that you think are irrelevant. Then try the tab "Allow & Blcok Ads"in the new adsense interface, not only can you block the urls of websites you don't want showing as per the old interface, but you can now select "General Categories" to block, thus eliminating entire categories from showing on your site with just one click, far better, far faster, and results in more relevant ads. Check it out and try it today - it's free so use it!

adsenseplr, Nov 3, 2011 IP
  2. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hi, do you think it's wise to block some categories? How can you tell the ads displayed are irrelevant for other people, not just you or your geographical location?
    In this matter I always try to just delegate the work to adsense, it is in their best interest to display whatever pays more for them and us (for them and so for us by consequence)
    So I never used the competitive ad filter, and never the newest category blocking, because my adsense account is not about one topic or one site and me doing it is not my job.
    I guess they've put this feature for people who have only a few topics discussed on their pages with their adsense account and people may want to control things, because they read on forum that it helps for better earnings..

But on forums, you get other people's opinion, so my opinion is not less valid than anyone's else, and vice versa.. My opinion is worth nothing, just like other people on forums..
    People in adsense team who know something, don't tell precise things. Just like those working at google search team.. All must have non diclosure agreement and only those who are public figures can speak, but it's like the PR of the army, they say whatever has been authorized, and it is always vague and useless at best, things like common sense, not really useful things.

So, blocking ads, no.
    Comparing adsense reported clicks with web tracker reported clicks on adsense, no.
    Looking if the ads displayed on my computer on my pages are relevant, no.
    Believing they give 68% share of whatever the advertizers pay, no.
    Believing anything on forums, no.
    Etc.

My job is to increase ad impressions and clickthrough. That's about it.

JamesColin, Nov 3, 2011 IP
  3. ron_bun

ron_bun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Blocking ads makes sense to me though. One of my sites is in gaming niche and gets 90% traffic from Google search.

It makes no sense for a gaming ketyword searching user to be shown a cosmetic category or chemicals industry ad for instance. Think abt it..

ron_bun, Nov 3, 2011 IP
  4. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, but as you said "one of my sites is in XYZ niche" do you mean you can block by categories per site now?
    Before it was for the whole adsense account, if they've changed this (don't know, never go there) to allow per site blocking, then it is maybe another story yes..

But still I'd rather spend my time and focus on other things than telling adsense what to show on my sites, I mean I've been using adsense since 2003 and they were in charge of that, and it worked pretty well I think, why should it become my job now? Well, if I find that I can block categories per site, I might do it for some of my sites which are really into one single niche.

JamesColin, Nov 3, 2011 IP
  5. ron_bun

ron_bun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now just think out of the box.. if it were a crap option then why would Google offer it to us? It is a wise option to use in certain cases .. pretty sure about that!

ron_bun, Nov 4, 2011 IP
  6. adsenseplr

adsenseplr Active Member

Best Answers:
    James,
    Given the structure of your sites which cover a huge range of topics then I agree it is not for everyone, but if you have one with a specific niche such as gardening then you do not really want adverts for computer servers showing, as the people visiting the site for gardening advice are very unlikely to want to buy a new server.
    The post was to highlight the facility, but I agree its not for everyone but if you have sites focussed on a specific niche then eliminating the irrelevant ads does help the CTR

adsenseplr, Nov 4, 2011 IP
  7. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    So, can I conclude without looking at the feature myself, that it is still category blocking for the whole account and not per site?

If it is still the same, for the whole account, then yes this feature is only for publishers who deal only with a few categories on their pages, in that case, they can block all other categories, and it will help adsense not confusing some words with keywords from irrelevant categories. So it will improve the ctr and by consequence the ecpm.

JamesColin, Nov 5, 2011 IP
  8. tiggsy

tiggsy Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not a good ad if it's advertising vps hosting (on all my sites, ranging from travel through health), when the topic has no b-to-b relevance

tiggsy, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  9. erjenkins1

erjenkins1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I ran a liberal political website last year. AdSense showed nothing but conservative political ads. I decided to block each and every conservative ad that came through, only to end up with extremely low-paying ads.

erjenkins1, Dec 22, 2011 IP