1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Editing tips for directory owners

Discussion in 'Directories' started by syted, Nov 3, 2011.

4 simple ways to edit your submissions to make your directory more professional and user-friendly.

Just my humble suggestions, feel free to disagree.

1. Edit the description that has been submitted. Even if it already meets your criteria it’s most probably been submitted to other directories, so just make a few changes to make it unique.

2. Keep it short and relevant, really nobody will read it if it’s more than one sentence. Keep it simple and concise.

3. Always use third party descriptions – You have edited it, so if it reads ‘our site...’ it looks like it’s not been edited and appears promotional.

4. Place it in the most appropriate category. Submitters may have a motive for submitting to the wrong category or just not have taken the time to find the most relevant one.

syted, Nov 3, 2011 IP
    samdar likes this.
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1 - totally agree.

2 - doesn't that leave the directory owner shooting themselves in their own foot by limiting how much content is on each page?

3 - I've always used both. Never really thought about it though. Might have to start doing that more consistently.

4 - very true.

If I may add a 4b or # 5....

5. If you see a category getting exceptionally deep, look for topic trends within the group of sites and see if any could be split off into a new category or subcategory.

YMC, Nov 3, 2011 IP
  3. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. I think also having all descriptions read the same (i.e. as if they are from the directory editors mouth rather than the website owners mouth) is also far more organised than having variations of 1st and 3rd party descriptions.

2. Partly agree. I think short and concise (otherwise it turns into a sales pitch) however more than one sentence, because as YMC said why limit content?

3. Yep, as I said in 1. Same thing.

4. Yup, or create a new subcat as YMC suggested.

Also I think if you are reviewing a site, you should add your own personal touch to it. The owner when submitting has told you their opinion of how their site should be describe. After reviewing their website you may have additional information to add or you may disagree partly with their description.

remember: the content on a directory belongs to the directory owner/editor, not to the submitter. If you allow weaker content in, then you are the one that suffers. Because the content is under your control.

silencer, Nov 3, 2011 IP
    syted likes this.
  4. Renatus

Renatus Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with all of the above, but regarding #3 I think this is subjective. It really depends on the editor whether he/she wants the description to be in first person or third person. I usually allow first person descriptions to go through, because I personally feel that this adds a more "human" touch to my directory.

Renatus, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  5. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is what I'm trying to get at, consistent descriptions so the site looks owned by the directory rather than it's submitters.

Very well said, the thing that most puts me off about some directories is that they don't seem edited and controlled by the owner but rather the owner seems so pleased to accept a listing they'll accept it as it is. I've found that very few submitters complain about their site's description being edited or their site moved to a different category.

syted, Nov 8, 2011 IP