1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Help

Discussion in 'Directories' started by nonar, Nov 1, 2011.

Need Help
    What is the best tools to know the PR IS fake.
    I took a link and not sure is fake pagerank.
    Thanks for all

nonar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The best ways to tell if the PR is fake are:

1. Domain Name. If it says frozenfood.com, has PR7 and is a general directory, its probably not legit.
    2. Way Back Machine. The internet archive is a great way to see what a directory site with PR looked like in the months prior to some scumbag fraudster acquiring the domain.
    3. Common sense. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. Even the best and most respected directories have been stripped of PR. That said, its very unlikely that some cookie cutter copy of another phpLD with 1/2 a dozen entries is going to have a PR higher than ZIP.
    4. Do a whois on the domain. If its age is a few months and its a PR8... Something's probably not right.
    5. A simply query of link:sitename.com in Google can yield a lot of interesting info about who's linking in as well.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    Mia, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  3. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    samdar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  4. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    ( The best one IMO is http://www.rankchecker.com )
    I did use it it gives the page rank is valid
    true I dont think the link I test is that PR
    Thanks

nonar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  5. timur1505

timur1505 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure where this guy has gotten his information from. Could you please provide some valid proof to your statements.

The only way to tell if pagerank is valid is by going to Google and searching for info:domainname.com and if the domain name changes then it is fake. any other tool that checks if PR is valid uses this same query on Google.

Toolbar PR is updated on average every 3 months so if there was a PR update 2 months ago then that PR7 domain could now have an actual PR of 0 but still displaying PR7. you now need to check the backlinks that point to the domain especially those from trusted sources. If a PR7 site does not have PR7, PR6, PR5 links pointing to it then that is a good indication that the PR will drop on the next update.

I use opensiteexplorer in conjunction with yahoo's link query to check links. Google limits the amount of links it shows and should never be used to check if a domain has good links.

If that directory owner recently brought that domain with PR, it does not mean that the PR will drop on the next update. anyone that thinks this is ignorant and I would recommend them to go do some simple tests before giving advice to people.

Just to repeat, always, always look at the quality of the links that point to a directory before purchasing a link from them.

Nonar you have purchased in excess of $200 of links from me in the past so if you would like anymore advice then please feel free to contact me via PM where I would be more than happy to check out that PR7 directory.

timur1505, Nov 1, 2011 IP
    samdar likes this.
  6. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, there might be a case were rankchercker may show high PR, but the domain may not be that much in reality.There is only one case where this can happen. This is when the domain had high PR during the last PR update and it has lost its links now.

In that case as Timur said, it is better to check three tools.

1) Yahoo Site Explorer
    2) Open site explorer
    3) Majestic SEO for Backlinks and Backlinks history

These three tools will give you an idea on whether the domain is currently having strong backlinks or not. If they don't have enough backlinks, it might drop in the next PR update. But till that time toolbar and various PR checkers available would show the old PR that was there during the last PR update.

samdar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  7. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some tools give PR 8
    Some gives 0
    Thats why the I asked for help.
    If its PR 3-4-5-6 No issue for that but when it comes for pr 8 ! need to be sure.

nonar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  8. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not publish that URL here if it's not a secret?!

samdar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The PR is fake. The first tool you told me about is inaccurate. It thinks every site is fake.
    The site you told me about IS in fact fake. You really should publish it here to out that person.
    They are one of the people ruining the directory industry.

Mia, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  10. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not mine
    I took one link and nut sure of it.

nonar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    My information comes from experience.

The methods used above are a form of deductive reasoning.

It's fairly easy to spot bull shit.

Most of the directories I have seen listed here with PR tend to be domains that were previously used for some other web site that had nothing to do with directories. Things like that are really easy to spot.

I did not say that the PR from these domains would drop. What I said was the PR is fake. The PR did not belong to the directory. It belonged to some other site, and eventually those backlinks and the PR will disappear. Anyone doing something like this is defrauding those people listing in the directory.

Mia, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  12. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Mia
    Just wanted to be sure not to ask for the refund and the PR is valid
    I have an issue with him on the paypal to refund the payment
    Its not the money its to be sure not keeping your link on the wrong place !
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2285116

nonar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  13. timur1505

Best Answers:
    People buy links because they want to increase their own rankings on the search engine, nothing more. Nobody cares about being included on a "quality" directory that has correct titles and descriptions such as the one in your footer.

People only post on directories to obtain a link on a PR directory where they can use keyword anchor text and keyword stuffing in the description.

I 100% agree that Google should be paying more attention to directory owners like yourself, but they are not. I can see your frustration as I'm sure you and many other directory owners work hard to maintain your directories, but that does not give you the right to call people like me fraudsters. I also work hard in what I do, I provide a service to individuals and SEO companies around the world. I am just giving them what they want.

lets look at samdar's directory that is advertised in his footer. It is a valid PR6 site and has a PR5 link from wikipedia. Even though wikipedia provide no followed links the trust and authority of that link alone is probably better than all of your link put together then doubled. Who cares if he is taking advantage of someone elses link juice? Deal with it and stop being so jealous.

I have seen domains like his sell in excess of $3000, he has purchased any links that the last owner had, nothing wrong with that.

You are honestly fighting a losing battle and until I see a change in how Google perceives directories like yours I will not be changing a single thing.

Want to call me and other directory owners fraudsters? then I call you naive.

14. timur1505

Best Answers:
    Fluser.com is a valid PR8 domain, it will probably drop to a PR2 - PR3 on it's next update.

15. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I start to give my trust on the websites of PR 4-6 More than 7- 8 PR

nonar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No, its not a valid PR8 as it is advertised.
    It's being advertised as a directory with PR8 when in fact that PR is derived from a source that has and had and never will have any relations to the directory itself.

Not everyone out there lists in a directory for the reasons you've listed. If that is your link strategy then it is one that is going to be very short lived with fleeting success. If it works for you and others fine. Its just something we're not interested in partaking in. The people that list in our directory are not looking for the short term. They are in it for the long haul and have a much broader link and marketing strategy designed to last.

In my eyes directories like the flusy one are damaging the legitimate directory industry and owners. To me, its misleading and dishonest.

Mia, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Mia, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  18. timur1505

Best Answers:
    How can you say it’s not valid? You are trying to give valid pagerank a new meaning when all it means is that Google see’s the pagerank of the toolbar as valid. Like I said the actual pagerank is at PR2 – PR3 but that is not the meaning of valid pagerank.

The majority of people that purchase links from directories list them in the kind like mine, why? because they think they can fool Google so easily. Go and ask Google if it’s ok for webmasters to purchase links from directories like your, it is considered manipulative link building and is the reason why Google no longer rates general directories. Link building should be done in a way that entices people to link to your site naturally.

There is no reason for people to purchase a link from your directory and is even more beneficial for them to purchase a link in my directory as I offer my submitters more benefits such as keyword anchor and keyword descriptions. Yet you insist on calling people like me fraudsters, should I take that lightly? Your directory is no better than mine.

While you still believe that paid editorially approved directories offer some kind of benefit other people are laughing and cashing in. Please show me some kind of proof that your directory is better than an unedited directory, you can’t.

The thing is any legitimate website should not be purchasing links for search engine benefit and that is the only reason why people submit to general directories these days.

I run several websites myself and I do not need to purchase links from directories, I don’t even add my websites in my own directories. yes I submit to DMOZ, Yahoo, and maybe BOTW but that is only needed for an initial boost in authority, other than that my blog earns the links through informative content that people link to naturally, and that is how Google expects you to do it. Google conquered manipulative link building through directories years ago, it’s beyond me that directories like yours still exist.

While it’s probably a hobby for you to run your directory, mine is my business. My business is a 100% legitimate Limited company that is registered in the UK. The only reason why I got into the directory business was for the money, nothing else. I simply give people exactly what they want.

If you want to know what the real SEO practitioners think of your directory the please go and ask in seomoz Q&A or the SEOchat forum.

19. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Partially yes. You will have to change your perception a little bit. Let me explain.

Ever heard of http://www.engineerswithoutborders-usa.com ? It was a PR 8 directory few months back. It was really awkward that some one had started a directory marketing only it's PR. The name was such a BS and the domain did not have enough backlinks to support its PR. Eventually in the next update it was dropped to PR 4. So the game is all about quality / quantity / credibility of backlinks and not PR. PR was just a norm which is so volatile.

In the case of flusy and the engineerswithou**** BS sites, what you are saying is exactly true because it is not that they are not PR 8. It is because they do not have substantial amount of backlinks to support their PR. Those backlinks have vanished over a period of time or some one raised this site's PR just to sell it off. These kind of guys procure these domains in the range of $300 - $500 and within next PR update they earn close to $2000 or so. This is called cheating and I go with you on what you said later that these guys are the ones who damage the reputation of directory business.

I will agree to this. But not completely. You might have to change your perception a little bit. People like flusy are not legitimate. I agree with you. But not every who procuring an old website are like that. People who procure domains with good backlinks and are able to maintain the quality of directory as you do will not fall under this category. This is called Acquisition. By definition Acquisition is an act of procuring an asset and building on top of it. In this case a person pays heavily to acquire a genuine domain that has good PR and backlinks to support it. When they try and build a directory on it and maintain just like you, there is nothing wrong in it. And you should stop pointing out folks like this and say that these people are damaging the reputation of the directory industry. It's a very big blame and it's not valid.

I understand your frustration. You have registered your directory 14 years back, built it with love and patience and you are frustrated to see some one popping up in a day with a directory and say that they have good PR. I understand how it feels like. What you have done is like starting a company from scratch building with all pain and undergoing the test of time. Few folks come on board acquire a valid asset (With PR and Backlinks) and build meaningful directory out of it. If they are able to maintain PR (It's never permanent, unless you built backlinks over and over again) and are able to maintain quality just as you do, it is not a bad strategy. I will call this as acquisition strategy. This is not only in directory business - It's everywhere in internet and is in offline businesses. Why would Google acquire Motorola mobility? Do you wanna blame them? Now if the person who does this sucks at maintaining it properly, then they would eat the fruit. Their directory would be yet another directory with junk links and junk content. What matters is 2 things:

1) Will the PR last long? Will the person be able to maintain its PR.
    2) Is the person building quality directory just like you? Or is the person building some crap on it? That's what matters and everything else will be blown away in a matter of time.

Nope, I know this guy. He was not banned becoz of this thread. This thread was started on Sep 19 and he got banned yesterday.

samdar, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  20. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sites Linking In: 1,461 fluser
    Sites Linking In 9 engineerswithoutborders-usa . That is why it PR 4
    This is the last update from Alexa.
    Are they doing some quality back links ?

nonar, Nov 2, 2011 IP