1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you use to build your html/css site?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by androidtips1, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ademmeda

ademmeda Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use Notepad++, I tried some other editors as well but Notepad++ is better in my opinion. I appply custom styles and add some plugins like Explorer and it works great.

ademmeda, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Funny, those count among the reasons I'd never use it -- since the FTP client is rubbish compared to the real deal like filezilla, live editing is a DISASTROUSLY bad idea, I find color highlighting makes the code illegible (I didn't like it twenty years ago in TP4, how it's even still around is beyond me), and things like code completion usually just screw up my code or take longer than it would for me to just type the bloody thing.

But then more than once I've written perfectly valid HTML with nice lean CSS, and someone goes and does nothing more than loads it into DW, hits save, and it's broken.

The templating .dwt system is pretty much DESIGNED to make pages that break in IE7/lower and some versions of FF just from it's comment placement (Yes, I said COMMENTS!), the templates and auto-code stuff included is decades out of date and does nothing more than teach nubes the wrong way of doing things, you can't detach windows making it useless on multiple-display systems, it chews up a ton of screen real-estate for nothing useful around the code (just love that 40 characters across by 20 down that's usually left over), it leads you down the garden path with it's preview pane that doesn't even render like the browser engines it's allegedly based on (was laughable when it was Presto, even more laughable now that it's webkit)... and if you don't use all the extra crap that's tacked onto it, it's not worth the price... or the time it takes for the blasted thing to start up... or the massive size on disk it sucks down for nothing or the massive amounts of ram it sits there hogging for christmas only knows what...

That I've rarely if ever seen code written using DW that was worth a damn -- even those using code view only -- doesn't help matters. I can think of... two times I saw code that was passable.

It's a bloated overpriced pile of garbage that if used to it's full capability just teaches you the wrong way to do things, and if you aren't using the extra crap, what good is it when a free text editor is faster and less problem prone, a free ftp client is leaner and less problem prone, etc, etc...

Overpriced steaming pile of manure responsable for more broken poorly coded websites than Frontpage, W3Schools, Dynamic Drive and Eric Meyer COMBINED... and yet somehow it's the bloody golden boy for developers.

I don't get it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    deathshadow, Oct 18, 2011 IP
  3. sayli

sayli Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent information! They are more a marketer of a developer, but I'm trying to learn.

sayli, Oct 18, 2011 IP
  4. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I use notepad for editing html, css, php, etc.
    Adobe Photoshop for creating and editing some image.

pupul, Oct 18, 2011 IP
  5. actress6

actress6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use the HTML editor of my host company it's pretty great.

actress6, Oct 18, 2011 IP
  6. GeekAdda

GeekAdda Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Firebug Firefox Addon, live adding and auto filling of properties are available.

GeekAdda, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  7. borgizzle

borgizzle Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm a designer/programmer "hybrid" :p I mostly use NetBeans for PHP, HTML and CSS. If it's just some quick work small, I'll use vim :)

borgizzle, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  8. Hades

Hades Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would consider my self an expert, but I use dreamweaver.. I like it's syntax, the tabbed browsing and a couple of the other fun little features.

How many displays do you use? I use two 22" displays, and I still enjoy tabbed browsing and would hate having more than one window open. I can have 6-7 tabs open when coding a wordpress site and transfer over from the in order. Not a problem at all. If you were coding 20 years ago, I'm going to assume you are at least 35? Maybe older people just don't like colors, lol, I hate having to look at code in notepad. It's so much easier to find what I'm looking for in an editor that has colored syntax. Though if I remember correctly, the colors in notepad2 are all neony? or is that notepad++?

Hades, Oct 24, 2011 IP
    Four right now -- It's supposed to be two 24" 1920x1200 and two 17" 1024x1280 portrait, but my TV died so I put one of the 24" over there as a stopgap and have an old 1600x1200 19" dell sitting in it's place... Only lost 320px of width in the swap, so not the end of the world.

Tabbed browsing is fine... if you can put the tabs in portrait on one side of the display, but thats' not the same as tabbed EDITING.... My normal workflow is HTML or PHP on the leftmost display half-width, CSS on the leftmost display half-width, scripting half-width on the "center" 24", with browsers consuming the other half (layers, selected from taskbar)... their error consoles on the near right portrait display along with IM conversations and WinAmp (can't work without tunes), with my IM contact list, shortcuts to my reference files and baseline codes, and the windows taskbar (also in portrait) on the rightmost displays.

So I can see my PHP and/or HTML side-by-side with it's CSS and any scripting -- something you can't do if it's all stuck in one window. Even if you can tile the sub-windows it's still gonna get down on it's knees in front of the donkey if you want them on separate displays.

42... and dealing with computers since I was six or seven... I've been coding for just about 34 years now, though I didn't start doing it seriously for work until the late 80's, and took six years out of that to get serviced by my cou... uhm, I mean serve my country. My first computer was a Cosmac Elf I built from instructions in my Grandfather's stack of Popular Electronics mags. My mother once joked my first words were "soldering iron"

Thing is, I didn't like it when they added it to turbo pascal 4 back in '87 (long before my 'accident')... So it's not exactly about being 'old'... I've never had it be anything but a hindrance to reading code as it makes everything illegible to me... Just like when people start doing the 'extra spaces around operators' nonsense or crapping out their CSS onto single lines...

Though I am 'legally blind' so that may also have an impact... though as noted above I didn't like it BEFORE my vision went to hell so... Note that's LEGALLY blind, not blind. It means they took my license and won't give it back because I can't read a street sign 20 feet away; funny since they'll give license to people who can't READ... I can see just fine with my coke-bottles strapped to my head inside ten feet, and out to a quarter mile I could tell you how far away a car is is to about a yard's accuracy... just don't ask me what make it is. Had a decompression accident when I was 21, dislocated my right eyeball; vision's slid downhill ever since; gone from 40-20 two decades ago to 20:~500 without corrective lenses, 20:~100 outside ten feet WITH.

Though I hate looking at code in notepad in it's default setup too -- but that's just because Courier is a horrible font... really prefer fixedSys... though I'm playing with spinning my own set of fonts to address issues I see in all the current choices. (not like I've never made font files before...)

In a lot of ways I compare it to chiclet keyboards -- they sucked on the Trash-80 Coco, they sucked on the TI-99/4, they sucked on the Mattel Aquarius, they sucked on the Sinclair Spectrum, and the worst keyboard of all time sucked the giant brass monkey balls on the PC Jr... but wait a decade and a half, slap it in a cheap flimsy pressed aluminum case, slap an Apple logo on it and suddenly the art ***'s are yumming them up as the best thing since butter on toast... But again, Model M L33tist **** checking in... It was tried, it sucked, everyone hated on it... fifteen years later everyone treats it as the best thing on the planet. BARF.

A LOT of the programming 'aids' just get in my way. Code completion and auto-formatting for example -- I spend more time on correcting the auto-crap than I do actually writing code. "code management" software and "collaboration tools" just completely screw up my code every time I try to use them or work with others -- to me they're a crutch for people with bad management skills...

But to put that in perspective, I'm the guy who can hand assemble his own 6502, Z80 or 8088 machine language, can low level code for DirectX, OpenGL, OpenAL and SDL, have invented my non-matrix non-sin/cos 3d math routines that don't use distance divide for perspective -- but cannot for the life of me figure out how the devil "visual programming" is even supposed to work. Maybe I've just been at this **** for too long.

Though I look at a LOT of recent practices and go "where the **** is the advantage in that?!?" -- see javascript frameworks, CSS frameworks or HTML 5 -- useless bloated pointless crap doing more to hold "experienced" developers back, lead nubes down the garden path, and turn pages into complete idiotic rubbish than to make useful accessible websites!

See how Mr. "Don't bother with mail clients, they suck -- just use webmail" from a decade ago has now given up on webmail as being useless crap ever since it's gone into the rings of AJAX HELL and is now using M2 with iMap. It's really pathetic when Hotmail, Y! Mail, GMail and all the other webmail services are such convoluted bloated buggy slow crap (yes, Opera user checking in) they make Squirrel Mail look good!

But when people see nothing wrong with vomiting up websites with several hundred K of javascript, several hundred K of PRESENTATIONAL images, all to deliver less than 1k of plaintext and a couple dozen links, crapping all over it by being in transition from 1997 to 1998 by vomiting up HTML 3.2 and slapping a 4 Tranny or worse, 5 lip-service on it -- what can you expect?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    deathshadow, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  10. cluongo18

cluongo18 Member

Best Answers:
    Glad to see deathshadow here, spitting up some more intense posts..lol

I swear reading your replies is like watching Rambo.

cluongo18, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  11. hostgladiator

hostgladiator Peon

Best Answers:
    I use DreamWeaver for all HTML/CSS and PHP stuff I need to do.

hostgladiator, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  12. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    +1.
    Somebody poke him again!

As close as I could get... :)
    [​IMG]

Kerosene, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  13. radyb

radyb Active Member

Best Answers:
    notepad++ for experienced and for beginners, is the simplest.

But it really needs that you know what you are doing :)

radyb, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  14. gepopes

gepopes Peon

Best Answers:
    I use PSPad for web design in general. It's good and also free :D

gepopes, Oct 28, 2011 IP
  15. kurianthomasy

kurianthomasy Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's assume that this is going to be one page of a Web site with several similar pages. As is common for current Web pages, this one has a menu that links to other pages on the hypothetical site, some unique content and a signature. Good website make by the C S S.

kurianthomasy, Nov 2, 2011 IP
  16. blacklizt

blacklizt Peon

Best Answers:
    i use notepad++ works great and yeah its free...

blacklizt, Nov 4, 2011 IP