1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ still alive?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Karolwf, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Guisbar

Guisbar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've knоwn sites submitted fоr years аnd never а thing, then pops up an entry. DMOZ is slow, аnd in mу opinion fоr what іt'ѕ worth оvеr rated аѕ а directory. They can't provide thе service.

Guisbar, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  2. kristenmorey111

kristenmorey111 Peon

Best Answers:
    They don't email to you after listing your link but you will have to check manually :/
    anyway I had tried some websites after creating a proper description and title specially for DMoz listing; And finally success to get inlink from dmoz ;)

kristenmorey111, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  3. WizIMS

WizIMS Member

Best Answers:
    It takes months to get listed in dmoz bro

Good luck

WizIMS, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that everyone here is thinking DMOZ is made to list your web sites to help your serps and site promotion. That simply isnt the case.

We build the directory to provide a categorical listing of sites for the end user, the web surfer. You are free to suggest your sites for inclusion but thats all you are doing....you are SUGGESTING. It may or may not be reviewed at some stage and it may be in a loooong time from when its suggested, so suggest it once to the most correct category and then simply forget about it and move on :)

If you want a guaranteed directory listing then go to the directories that offer that service.

snooks, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  5. eXtendiaIT

eXtendiaIT Peon

Best Answers:
    Even though I didn'tread all the comments in the post, but rights away I want to say DMOZ IS ALIVE :) It depends what they approve and what not, when they approve. It is not clear. However, I got a site approved in a day!!!! Maybe they just liked it a lot :) I was lucky.

JenX67, I think by submitting something 4 times is just devaluing your past submissions. You needed to wait. Submit and forget. Otherwise each tome you start the process again. This is what I learned about DMOZ policy.

eXtendiaIT, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not entirely true. If it truly was for the end user, then suggestions would be taken more seriously for one. For another, actions of the webmasters would not ever make a difference. If a site is listable it should be listed, period. It does not make a difference to the end user if the webmaster paid for a listing, yet a paid listing results in the sites removal. Yeah, I can see the editor being outted, but the site (assuming it's listable)? There is also the matter of the time it can often take. The suggestion link is there for not the webmaster, its there for the end user to suggest sites as well. Yet there is no communication with the end user... kind of disheartening to them I'd think.

Then of course there is the fact that 99.9% of the people that I know that are not webmasters have no clue what the ODP is, so can I ask, what end user?

Qryztufre, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  7. bebs3517

bebs3517 Peon

Best Answers:
    I also tried only once and never had any attempt for the 2nd time around. I know it's pretty hard to be accepted by DMOZ unless you have known some DMOZ editor who will review and accept your site.

bebs3517, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  8. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    !!! indeed. It takes longer than that for a listing suggestion to traverse our garbage filters and become visible to editors.

jimnoble, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As not all editors use the suggestion pool in favor of other sources, this most certainly is possible! The person submitted on tuesday, and an editor found it on google wednesday.

Just shows that good things can happen.

YAY 4 Synchronicity!

Qryztufre, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Why is that discouraging? Are you saying you'd rather have the number one spot in DMOZ and not rank at all in Google?

Mia, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  11. roman.sterly

roman.sterly Peon

Best Answers:
    Email when you are listed would be great

roman.sterly, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  12. eXtendiaIT

eXtendiaIT Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, Jim, it was such a quick approval. I tell you, I listed and then it was there. Maybe there were weekends, and it seemed it was one day :) Anyway, I was truely impressed, and happy.

Thanks for telling us the procedure though.

eXtendiaIT, Oct 31, 2011 IP
  13. timur1505

timur1505 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMO Dmoz is not appreciated by searchers or submitters.

These days people search on Google and receive the best results, why should anyone need to go to DMOZ to do a search? If anything Google now displays better results, this is true not only for DMOZ but any other similar directory.

While I have never had a problem submitting to DMOZ many people get frustrated and attempt to do whatever they can to get their listing included at a quicker rate. The general saying is submit and forget.

Now imagine trying to write a spider for Google’s search algorithm, the number 1 thing that is required is a starting point for that spider to start from, this is what is called as a seed site, Google uses many seed sites.
    Back in the 1990’s DMOZ would have been a good candidate for a seed site, nobody knows which sites Google uses as it’s seed sites but there are a few obvious candidates.

Now lets imagine that a top seed site was allocated a trust rank of 10, much like pagerank but used in a different way and DMOZ.org had a trust rank of 10, as you go deeper into dmoz’s internal pages that trust rank became less and less as it was flowing to other pages and external sites. Those external sites being linked to on dmoz’s top level pages were allocated more trust rank than those sites that had been placed on 10 levels deep.

Now all of the higher trusted sites were sharing there trust with each other while the lower trusted sites struggled to get a link on them. If a lower trusted site obtained a link on a higher trusted site then the trust of the lower trusted site would go up and the trust of the higher trusted site would go down.

How do you like my story so far? Do you think i’m talking BS? Lets take a look at one of dmoz.org top level categories >> http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/
    Now go to Google US and type regional into the search, DMOZ shows up in position 11, now also notice that Wikipedia and yahoo directory are there, any other directory?

Dmoz is still has a high trust rank and I believe is still one of Google’s seed sites as well as Wikipedia and Yahoo Directory. The problem is that regular sites usually get given a link 8-10 levels deep which passes less trust to your site.

DMOZ is very much alive and one of the more appreciated directories.

timur1505, Oct 31, 2011 IP
  14. gighive

gighive Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The last time they updated the category I tried, was a year and a half ago. So I assume it depends on the editor of the category you submit to.

gighive, Nov 6, 2011 IP
  15. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, every category has many editors, but it does depend on one of them volunteering to work in that section and to want to use the suggestions pool as a resource. Please remember the motivation of DMOZ is not to be a site for webmasters to get their site listed for free it is a site for editors to build categories for those who want to use categorised data for web searching. But DMOZ takes suggestions from webmasters and members of the public but they are suggestions and are looked at when an editor chooses to do what I have outlined above.

Anonymously, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  16. domainnamesalez

domainnamesalez Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think DMOZ is as active as it used to be. I have submitted so many sites in the past 2 years and so far only 1 was approved. I suppose most of its editors are no longer interested in working as volunteer.

domainnamesalez, Nov 11, 2011 IP
  17. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can join us if you can get through the screening, just press the apply to be an editor button at the foot of most pages. Look forward to seeing you.

Anonymously, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow ! DMOZ is still alive ? LOL ! How many editors 20 ?

popotalk, Nov 13, 2011 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    More than 5000

jimnoble, Nov 13, 2011 IP
  20. TVDinner

TVDinner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe you just have to wait a few months. I have a few I have submitted recently that are established busy sites for years, so we will see.

TVDinner, Nov 13, 2011 IP