1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stupid Domain Name Dashes...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ViciousSummer, Jul 13, 2004.

Just exactly how important to SEO are keywords in your domain name. I really dislike the keyword-keyword-keyword.com domains (probably because I do a lot of offline, non-link marketing), but if someone can tell me that it would be detrimental to use this technique for a mildly competitive KW, I just might consider it :D .

Is there really any difference between, keywordkeywordkeyword.com & keyword-keyword-keyword.com? Or, does it even matter if you have your KW's in the domain name at all?

Just tossing around an idea for a new venture and was curious about this... :D

ViciousSummer, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  2. Bizcut88

Bizcut88 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a couple domains with one - and they seem to rank better in yahoo when compared to my domains without a -. When you use a couple of those on one domain it does make you look like a spammer even if your not so don't get carried away.

Bizcut88, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  3. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    i like to use hyphens in my domain names because i feel like i get better results from search engine users. (obviously these urls are harder to remember but I only use them for search engine traffic)

for instance, lets say i was interested in buying diamond jewelry and these are the URLs that come up from a google search.

1. http://www.college-lists.com/Diamond_Jewelry.html

2. http://www.online-jewelry-store.com

3. http://www.totalseek.com/gifts/jewellery/online-jewelry/diamond-jewelry-online.html

Based on this info, I would definitely choose choice #2 over choices #1 & #3 because the URL is more descriptive of what i am searching for. :D

toddieg, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  4. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When performing searches on both G and Y! it does often show that URLs with the '-' generally rank higher than without for multi-part key phrases. I learned this the hard way with a client site having the words concatenated as the URL.

North Carolina SEO, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  5. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    Hyphens aren't really necessary from an SEO point of view - not these days, anyway - you can always use keyworded folders to get keywords specifically in URLs.

However, from a different point of view, it is actually worth registering hyphenated and non-hyphenated forms of important business domains, to prevent domain squatters from trying to leech from your business reputation - or even set up a competing site based on your URL - by using an alternative form, such as hyphenated. It really does happen.

I. Brian, Jul 13, 2004 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    This question and debate has been raging for a long time. One of the best articles on the subject has been written by John Scott of Bluefind and V7 fame and infamy :)

Here is a link http://www.v7n.com/keyword-descriptive-domains.php

Basically as far as I'm concerned Google cannot parse a domain name like www.myshithotwebsite.com into the component keywords. I know they will highlight the words within this domain in the SERPs, but I think this is simply a strings search and no proof that they are actually parsing and reading the component words.

However if the domain is of the form www.my-shit-hot-wesite.com then Google sees the "-" as separators, and can read the individual words. So is if somebody links to you simply using your domain you automatically have the desired anchor text built in.

compar, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  7. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Interesting point (& good example). What about if www.onlinejewelrystore.com was a choice? I know that would be my 1st choice because I know that a domain with dashes it is is owned by an SEO "expert", and unfortunately, they tend to be directories, affiliate sites, etc. Which brings me to my second point. I think the reason you see so many hypenated sites ranking high is because only a person interested in SEOing the site would purchase such a domain. So, I'm still not convinced
    :D .

8. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I was just thinking about that today...Good point!
    :D

9. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Really? You don't think that Google can read multiple KW's in a domain, without the hyphens? I'm under the impression that they can, but I havn't really tested it. Don't you think it would be an easy thing for Google to do? Especially since Google can identify synonyms & stemming.

10. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Vicious,

You have a little bit of a bias there. You'll have to be careful with some of your value judgement statement. You're starting to sound like Jill Whalen. It's bad enough having one woman who doesn't know what she is talking about. We don't need two :)

I always love how people with biases and prejudices have such narrow scenarios. Like the "the only reason somebody would use a hypenated domain is because they are a SEO dude or an affiliate site".

Bullshit! Get off you high horse. There are lots of other reasons. The first time I registered a hypenated domain name it was because the non-hypenated copy of the domain was already registered. It wasn't until I ran into your kind of unthinking prejudice from Jill Whalen that I even knew that anyone had an issue with hypenated domains.

This jaundice look at hypenated domain is like me stating that anybody who would buy or sell your type of lingerie must be a hooker. That's crazy, I'm sure you'll admit. But not much more crazy than your position about anybody who would register a hypenated domain name.

Back off! Get real! If you don't like hypenated domain name then don't register one. That's your prerogative. But don't start a phony thread just to rail against people who do use hypenated domain names.

compar, Jul 13, 2004 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  11. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    One thing I have noticed by domain name with hyphens or underscores is that they tend to be longer than non-hyphenated ones.

At one time I had math reviews and tutorials online where I taught. The URL was www.midland.cc.tx.us/~smyrl/index.html . My students had a horrible time typing in the URL. I could not wait for school webmaster to put up a clickable link to help with problem. Since watching them struggle I have always like short URL's. I realize they may not be best for SEO.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  12. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, we'd all like CNN or IBM or some nice short name like that. But there just aren't enough to go around. So sometimes we have to take what we can get.

compar, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  13. wolfpack

wolfpack Peon

Best Answers:
    All in a single post.

I had to double-take to make sure I wasn't reading an anthonycea post.

Blademaster.

wolfpack, Jul 13, 2004 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  14. wolfpack

wolfpack Peon

Best Answers:
    BTW, I agree that the multi-hyphenated-domain-name-style has been overrun with over-seo'd websites. And that, to the degree you see more of them at the top of the search results, that's why. And, that it's prudent to register multiple versions of your domain name, including hyphenated and not.

wolfpack, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  15. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Not bad Wolfpack. I was sort of over the top. Not everyone would have had the gonads to point it out. Well done.

compar, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  16. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Damn Compar, wake up on the wrong side of the computer today ;)?

1st off, for you to say I don't know what I'm talking about is inane. I was voicing my point of view. Take off your SEO googles for a sec and really look at what I was saying.

What exactly sort of biases & prejudices are you talking about? The reason I made the statement that "only a person interested in SEOing the site would purchase such a domain" (about hyphenated domain names) is because I would never even have thought about purchasing a hyphenated domain name 8 months ago, when I knew zero about SEO. You need to understand that there is a world outside SEO and I am trying to walk that fine line between SEO & consumer-friendly.

Gee Bob, did I hit a sore spot with you?! That's fine & dandy that the 1st time you registered a hyphenated domain name was because the non-hypenated copy was taken, but why didn't you just think of a different name. Because you wanted the keywords? Well, that would be a SEO technique, if so.

Okay, this is where you start to not make any sense...Basically you're saying that I'm saying that buying a hyphenated domain name is bad. That is not what I'm saying all...I'm considering buying one if it does prove to be a good SEO tool...

No one's attacking you Bob, so just chill out. This isn't a phony thread. I was asking for advice on if I should buy a hyphenated domain. And, quite honestly, I'm a little taken aback that you took my personal shopping experiances with hyphenated domains so personally. ;) So, to resolve our little dispute, would you mind showing me a hyphenated domain that has not been SEO'ed?

17. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hyphenated domain names may get higher results simply because it has built in "Anchor Text".

This link "ThinkBling.com" would have anchor text of "ThinkBling" and "com".

This link "Think-Bling.com" would have anchor text of "Think" "Bling" and "com".

As far as search engines go, I would much rather have the second. However in terms of easability to remember I would rather have the second.

Hyphenated names seem like they should be limited to the smaller sites who's traffic does not come at direct request.

Which site would you rather go to?
    "big-bad-search-engine-with-good-results.com" or...
    "Google.com".

Help Desk, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  18. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that may be technically true, but at the same time you seemed to be publicly giving all the standard argumement against hypenated domains. You seemed to ask the question, and then shit all over the idea.

So to that degree it appeared that maybe your mind wasn't exactly open and what you really were doing with the thread was railing against the practice.

Now I'll try and find some hypenated domains that are poorly optimized, but the question I have is when did optimization be come a dirty word in your vocabulary?

A properly optimized site makes it easy for Google or the SEs to present your site to the searcher. Surely you wouldn't want to present your site to the searchers unless you thought it was useful, interesting and valuable to the searcher. So in that regard I believe you can see optimization as a public service. When did it become sleazy to help somebody? Unless, of course you are a Republican.

compar, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  19. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    compar, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  20. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    you guys are too funny...can't you just kiss and makeup? :D

toddieg, Jul 14, 2004 IP