1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I 777 for my uploads?

Discussion in 'Apache' started by skinnyzaz, Sep 20, 2011.

Hi I hope someone can give me some good advice. I have a dedicated server that will be used for only streaming video files. I have a php upload form that I want to use to send my video to the server then generate a .php link to the video. To be able to upload the files I had to set the folder to 777. I have password protected the upload script so only I can access it but I want to know if I need to worry about people being able to delete my files or folders in that 777 directory. Or is there a way around what I am trying to do.

I really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. I am just learning so a lot of this stuff is new to me. Thanks in advance.

skinnyzaz, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  2. supportex

supportex Peon

Best Answers:
    Permissions 777 is very non-secure solution in any case the owner can have read + write. You also need to forbid execution uploaded files through php.

supportex, Sep 29, 2011 IP
  3. anildewani

anildewani Peon

Best Answers:
    If 777 is the only option for your needs. You must optimise your php script to only allow "validated" uploads. (allow only needed MIME types and extensions).

anildewani, Oct 9, 2011 IP