1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why DMOZ is called open directory ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by optionsbinary, Oct 7, 2011.

I would like to know why dmoz is called open directory and what is its advantages ?
    Why its approval is so late ?

optionsbinary, Oct 7, 2011 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It essentially implies it is "open" to anyone. There's no charge and nothing is excluded, assuming submissions meets certain guidelines.

Advantages at one time were instant inclusion into various SE's indexes.

Late?

Anyone remember Ketchup and those commercials?

Mia, Oct 7, 2011 IP
  3. seosreeni

seosreeni Member

Best Answers:
    its DOMZ caption - it means any one submit.........

seosreeni, Oct 7, 2011 IP
  4. pageupseo

pageupseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Want to know actually.

pageupseo, Oct 7, 2011 IP
  5. vnsmith

vnsmith Peon

Best Answers:
    Because it is open for everyone, Everyone is welcome to submit.

Late? I don't think it is, as long as you follow their guidelines on submission

vnsmith, Oct 10, 2011 IP
  6. vegasstrippers

vegasstrippers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Everyone is welcome to submit and get rejected for unclear reasons. blech.

vegasstrippers, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  7. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is called "open" as in Open Directory Project in the spirit of the open source movement, in that the database that they create is open for anyone to download and use for their own directory. I not sure where the people posting above got their information from, but its wrong.

Agent000, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  8. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is called "Open" because it is openly corrupt.

tankard, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This should be a thread in the DMOZ section, then you might get some sensible replies.

It is open source and anyone, under the licence agreement can download and use the material, given they use it within the licence. http://www.dmoz.org/license.html

Someone asked about listings being 'late'. All editors are volunteers, they work in their spare time and for no financial reward. Suggesting a site, is just that, you suggest a site and then it waits in the suggestions pool until a volunteer editor makes an offer to work in that area and wants to use the suggestions pool as one of their resources. How long is that, well how many times will I take my dog for a walk, wash my car, spend time in front of the TV, spend time with my family, spend time editing DMOZ. Now how many of thse can you predict for DMOZ editors? When you figure it out let DMOZ know, because I have no idea for myself let along hundreds of other editors. So now let us start again if you can't tell me how much time all those things will get, how can anyone predict when a site will be reviewed with a view to listing it.

Can I add that editors have no interest in any value, if there is any, that a listing might add to a site. We build categories for the benefit of those who want to search the web using categorised and collated data and NOT for the benefit of webmasters to get a site listed.

Anonymously, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That certainly explains a LOT about the ODP, but oddly, I swear your sig says that you don't represent the ODP or anyone else, yet again you are speaking on behalf of ALL editors. So again, I ask, which is it?

Qryztufre, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    It is...that DMOZ editors have no interest in any value a listing might add. Because that is not the clearly stated aim of the project.

Anonymously, Oct 19, 2011 IP
  12. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No it means it is opened for everyone to believe that it is of value or that anyone is open to do any work on it.

But what it means most is that it is OPEN like a hole in the ground that goes on forever and things drop in the hole and nothing ever comes out.

Like an Open Black Hole

joeventura, Nov 15, 2011 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So what you are saying is that you speak for ALL of the editors because that is what the documentation on the ODP says, therefor all editors HAVE to agree?

I see...

at the bottom of the add page it says this: Please let us know what you think, and how we can improve the service.

SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE, you see it says SERVICE

The ODP is a SERVICE.

Just saying...

That page also says that if you submitted to inappropriate or unrelated category it may be rejected or removed. and you say that editors MOVE them to a more suitable category.

Now again, how can you speak for ALL editors, yet claim that you are not, while at the same time saying that you are because what you say is within the guidelines when some of it isn't?

Confused? I bet you are... I sure as heck know everyone else reading this is.

Qryztufre, Nov 15, 2011 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Yes it SERVES those who want to search the net using categorised data, what is your problem?

Anonymously, Nov 15, 2011 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    How? Buy having a multiple year wait on the suggestion SERVICE offered by the ODP? Not much of a service is it?

And if you still think it's a service, then why is that line on the add page of all places? As it's clear by how many editors (including youself) feel about the suggestion pool and the sites queued in side of it.

And what happens should one of those nice people using the ODP submit a site to the wrong category, what happens to that suggestions?

You say in these links:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1743484&p=13880910#post13880910
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2075392
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1725024&page=3

that the suggestion is moved... yet that is not the clearly stated aim of the project as you say. The clearly stated aim of the add page clearly states it will be rejected or removed.

If you want to use the clearly stated aims of the project, yes, lets play.

Qryztufre, Nov 15, 2011 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry if you can't read, I said that DMOZ provides a service to anyone wishing to search the net using categorised data.

Anonymously, Nov 16, 2011 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    and part of that is the suggest url part of the site, so yeah, read what you said...

Its not much of a service if PART of said service is a multi-year wait.

Qryztufre, Nov 16, 2011 IP
  18. Aven

Aven Peon

Best Answers:
    I cannot remember DMOZ ever approving any of my websites although I have read the rules of submission over and over again.

Anywho, it's called "open" because I think anyone can submit and download their material.

Aven, Nov 16, 2011 IP
  19. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let's be clear
    DMOZ is NOT a service. It is an Archive.

If you have a listing of data that the average data to reach the list is 12 months old, it is a archive not a service.

We live in the Google world now where my Blog posting is available to search in Google the next day.

If DMOZ was a service it would meet one of these definitions (defintion of SERVICE)

1. an act of helpful activity; help; aid: to do someone a service. <<< Not timely therefore not Helpful - Does not meet this criteria
    2. the supplying or supplier of utilities or commodities, as water, electricity, or gas, required or demanded by the public. <<<Does not meet this criteria - No demand
    3. the providing or a provider of accommodation and activities required by the public, as maintenance, repair, etc.: The manufacturer guarantees service and parts. <<<Does not meet this criteria
    4. the organized system of apparatus, appliances, employees, etc., for supplying some accommodation required by the public: a television repair service. <<< No employees and not organized.
    5. the supplying or a supplier of public communication and transportation: telephone service; bus service. <<< Public cannot use it to communicate.

The site should change its name to ODAP Open Directory Archive Project. "Come here to see what was relevant last year"

joeventura, Nov 17, 2011 IP
  20. umar.shehzad

umar.shehzad Peon

Best Answers:
    its open, meaning its a free web directory. thats all wat i care about

umar.shehzad, Nov 26, 2011 IP
    Anonymously likes this.