1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VPS Hosting Question

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by fireboat, Oct 4, 2011.

I have a high-traffic site and I use a VPS through GoDaddy. I'm trying to be sure I'm not being overcharged.

The problem I'm having is with bandwidth. GoDaddy's "Hosting Control Panel" says I'm used 3.5 TB of bandwidth last month. The Plesk control panel (that GoDaddy recommended and set up with the server) says I used 4 TB of bandwidth.

I called GoDaddy to ask why the two numbers are different. They gave me three reasons:

1. Plesk only counts web traffic, so doesn't count email. (But I know I don't use 500GB of email a month. I have 1 account and receive about a hundred text messages)

2. 1. Plesk only counts web traffic, so doesn't count ftp. (But I know I'm not uploading 500 GB to the account. I upload less than 100 MB a month.)

3. Server maintenence is not included.

#3 is where I have the question. I have "assisted hosting" so they're maintaining the server. How much bandwidth does it take to do maintenence on a VPS? Does it really take 500 GB? How do I find out what they're doing and how much bandwidth it's supposed to use?

Thanks in advance for reading this. The extra fees cost quite a bit and I'd like to be sure I'm not being overcharged. I would really value anyone's thoughts or expertise on this. And thanks VERY much in advance for any replies.

Tim

fireboat, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  2. InFiNiTy™

InFiNiTy™ Active Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like you need a dedicated server. Also, don't use GoDaddy. They overload their servers like crazy. You should choose Host Gator. They have the best dedicated servers for the cheapest prices.

InFiNiTy™, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  3. Guide

Guide Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    like InFINiTy said... go dedicated

Look at webhostingtalk for offers

Guide, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  4. Hosterbox

Hosterbox Active Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like you need a Managed solution, like the other members suggest you should get a dedicated server. There are many providers out there, just look at the reviews, talk with one of the representatives make sure that your webhost knows exactly what you need. Also, managed solutions are usually significantly more expensive maybe even up to 20-30% more costly since a dedicated support member has to maintain your server.

Hosterbox, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  5. edhan

edhan Active Member

Best Answers:
    So far my hosting service does not count the bandwidth even I am using VPS. I have moved to use dedicated servers for some hosting which are much better in control. If you have such large volume of traffic, then it is time to consider using dedicated server instead.

edhan, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  6. sparek

sparek Peon

Best Answers:
    3.5TB of bandwidth is a lot for a single website. What is the nature of the website? Does it host a lot of images or otherwise require a lot of hard drive usage? If you are using this much bandwidth, then you would definitely need your own dedicated server, and if it's doing a lot of hard drive reading and writing, you might get something with RAID10 and see the server respond better, but that is going to increase your costs.

I would first check and make sure the 3.5TB figure is accurate. I'm not sure what could be misleading this and a lot would depend on the nature of your website, so this may all be legitimate. But if the 3.5TB of bandwidth is not accurate, then you may not need a dedicated server.

As for the bandwidth discrepancies, I would completely understand if Plesk gave you one bandwidth usage figure and your hosting provider gave you another, higher bandwidth usage figure. This is because Plesk and other control panels can't monitor all traffic, they just depend on logging what traffic the logs for specific services say they use. Your hosting provider, your datacenter, will be able to see just how many packets and how much bandwidth was used on the dedicated ethernet cable between your server and the nearest router it is connected to. This usage will almost always be more than what Plesk or any control panel will report, because it is reporting ALL of the bandwidth exactly. But in your case, this is reverse, you are saying that Plesk is reporting a higher bandwidth usage figure than what your datacenter is giving you. This is why I would be concerned that the figures are not accurate at all.

The 500GB difference between the two figures is a lot, but you are also talking about a much larger scale with 4TB and 3.5TB of bandwidth being used.

sparek, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  7. dom19

dom19 Active Member

Best Answers:
    what website are you running ?

yes, i think 3.5TB is lot, you may upgrade to dedicated server.

dom19, Oct 4, 2011 IP
  8. fireboat

fireboat Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies everyone - I am looking into the dedicated server.

fireboat, Oct 5, 2011 IP