1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tools YOU use for writing content

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by recraig2, Oct 3, 2011.

What tools do YOU use for writing content for jobs, including plugins or anything else?

I am a little old-fashioned, since I use OpenOffice (OO). However, I depend heavily on spellcheck. I prefer OO because I can export as PDF as easily as I save to file. MS Word has become far too cryptic and unreliable, so I stick with tried and true OO, both in Windows and Linux.

Sometimes I use WordPress with the SEO Yast plugin for the initial, superficial SEO check. This at least gets me started with a base level of SEO. Then I apply my additional SEO skills to the writing.

Any other ideas?

recraig2, Oct 3, 2011 IP
  2. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    contentboss, Oct 3, 2011 IP
  3. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    Not really into using plug ins to make content. I use a dictionary and a thesaurus . I am a fan of searching keywords before writing anything to make sure that I'm using the right keywords and using them the right number of times.

Thanks for that link Content Boss.. very cool! :)

sweetcrabhoney18, Oct 3, 2011 IP
  4. mkjones589

mkjones589 Peon

Best Answers:
    The best tool for writing content is a headphone set with a mic, and copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking program. You can find the program in the torrents online, or if you buy it from a store, it comes with a cheap headset.

You use this combo to speak your articles. By speaking naturally, you're able to get LOTS MORE CONTENT out in a very very short amount of time. You'd be surprised. Later, you can go back and edit mistakes, keywords, and everything else.

This one tool alone is a secret content writing weapon.

mkjones589, Oct 3, 2011 IP
  5. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont use any tool for writing content except Microsoft Word 2007 for determining correct grammar and sentences fragments

jezzz, Oct 3, 2011 IP
  6. recraig2

recraig2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great idea. I haven't seen anyone talk about this here. I tried setting up Dragon Speak, but I am just far too busy to get started with it. It sounds comfortable though.

recraig2, Oct 3, 2011 IP
  7. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    I use it for novel writing not really copywriting. I love it but it took some time to learn plus my son makes a ton of noise so I can't use it as often as I'd prefer.

sweetcrabhoney18, Oct 3, 2011 IP
  8. rhondag

rhondag Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to turn out work with less distractions you can use a program called Q10. The download is free and here is the link. What this does is pull up a totally black screen and types in orange type. (this can be changed), but the premise behind this is that you can't see if you are getting emails, or getting skype messages, or any other distractions. The part I love the best is that when you are typing the computer makes the sound of a typewriter. The constant clicking sound of the keys really helps keep you focused on what you are doing. Just write and keep writing, without making any corrections at the time. Once you are done, then go back and make your corrections. When I use Q10, after I'm done, I then copy and paste to open office to finish the grammar and spelling check.

rhondag, Oct 5, 2011 IP
  9. guitarizma

guitarizma Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    guitarizma, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  10. apolnest

apolnest Peon

Best Answers:
    I can use Microsoft Wood or Open Office. Whatever I feel to use at the moment.

apolnest, Oct 8, 2011 IP
  11. PAKSON

PAKSON Peon

Best Answers:
    skyscarpper is good

PAKSON, Oct 9, 2011 IP
  12. recraig2

Best Answers:
    Sorry, this doesn't help us at all. Did you misspell the word? Is it a software program? What does it do exactly? Where can we find it? Is it free, shareware, pay only? Windows only or for Linux also? Come on! Give us more than just a generic and misspelled name.

recraig2, Oct 10, 2011 IP
  13. recraig2

Best Answers:
    Q10 looks interesting. I tried it out and was quite surprised. I thought it would be nothing more than a terminal window. I ran it under Wine on OpenSuSE 11.4 and it works great. I might try it on a dry run.

recraig2, Oct 10, 2011 IP
  14. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a question, how many mistakes this program makes while recording what you said?

Sam Gilmore, Mar 27, 2012 IP
  15. yecall

yecall Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are old-fashioned, then I am ancient! I do not use really any tools. I only use Word and my imagination. Of course, I do online searches and I do like to check on the hot searches. I even still use the old brick and mortar library!

yecall, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Most of my writing has to do with answering clients concerns and is generic and boring. But occassionaly I am involved with the creative end of things and then I have to write with a certain "flair". I use soft,low decibal background music. I find without it I can't produce anything worthwhile.
    Not really a "tool" as such but a means to an end I guess.:)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  17. corinnek

corinnek Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For those of you using Dragon, how well does it do with background noise? I work from home and I have 2 young kids. I always wondered about the program but thought it would be useless if it picks up all the noise around me

for writing fast, Write or Die is a fun program. Just write like heck or it either starts erasing your words or plays the most annoying noises ever.

corinnek, Mar 29, 2012 IP
  18. ziyaludo

ziyaludo Peon

Best Answers:
    dragons only take clear sounds.. and if it's not clear, sometimes it will not typed or mistype.

recomended this for fast content writing :)

ziyaludo, Apr 1, 2012 IP
  19. linefwor

linefwor Peon

Best Answers:
    MS word 2003 Portable & Brain v3.01

linefwor, Apr 14, 2012 IP
  20. DylanBozeman

DylanBozeman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was introduced to a pretty interesting tool the other day that I'm actually going to start using for all of my clients. It's very important that you make sure there are no spelling mistakes in your work before you submit the final copy to your client. This is pretty well known and fortunately spelling errors are easy to spot. However, where it gets more complicated is checking your grammar. Most word processors can spot basic grammar mistakes in your writing. However, there are lots of instances where you might use the wrong type of word (their, there, they're) and the word processor will not pick this up as a grammar mistake. If you didn't manually read through your article before sending it out (which you should do, but those of you writing for cheaper rates just may not have time) you can submit your article through the grammar checker called Grammarly. This bad boy will instantly check your grammar and present the mistakes to you in an easy to read and easy to fix format. I find it incredibly helpful and it's actually fairly cheap so it is easy enough for me to run all of my content through it. I even started doing this for my clients that are on the lower end budget wise. They still deserve good content just like your higher paying clients do.

DylanBozeman, Apr 24, 2012 IP