1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Not another Dp vs LV thread!

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by e10, May 7, 2005.

That´s right. It´s not. I am just curious as to how many peeps who use either or both also run AS and how sure you all are that there is no coflict wilth AS TOS.

Yes, I know the justification about DP and LV being ad networks but still... has anyone ever posed the question to the Great God Goo?

e10, May 7, 2005 IP
  2. runnerunner

runnerunner Active Member

Best Answers:
    what is gods name is your avatar of?

runnerunner, May 7, 2005 IP
  3. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Me, you cheeky sod!

e10, May 7, 2005 IP
  4. sue

sue Peon

Best Answers:
    Neither of them are PPC, so I don't think there is an issue...
    (could be wrong though, but that's how I read it)

sue, May 7, 2005 IP
  5. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    This is part of an email I reveid from google in response to a question I had about running searchfeed/revpilot with adsense:

I would say the coop network is safe.

flawebworks, May 7, 2005 IP
    e10 likes this.
  6. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I personally am always looking for specific sites to network with, topic related first. Since real estate is my thing, I am building my own real estate network :)

Blogmaster, May 7, 2005 IP
  7. Andi

Andi Peon

Best Answers:
    I posed a similar question and got a similar answer but I'm still unclear about "content-targeted." Yes, I should just write to them and tell them they are not being clear. But their first response was particularly obtuse and I tend toward sarcasm when people give me those kinds of answers.

Does this mean that other ads running on that page cannot be advertising products similar to the content or is Google strictly referring to ads like it's own that are served using targeted keywords?

My experience with them over these past few days are leading me to look for alternatives to Adsense.

Andi, May 7, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting... especially the part I highlighted above.

The Coop is not currently "content-targeted"... Would Google object if it became that way? and would that mean they may object to Link-Vault if it becomes large enough to matter?

Before the flaming begins, note that I am not saying this WILL happen... I am wondering whether it could.

minstrel, May 7, 2005 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    That rule by Google sucks and as their CPM continues to drop unless they drop this rule many publishers will drop Google :eek: :p :eek:

They are paying peanuts on most keywords now.

anthonycea, May 7, 2005 IP
  10. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah! Interesting point Minstrel. You are saying LV is walking on thinner ice because the links are themed?

e10, May 7, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's stronger than I would put it... I'm not saying that LV is in trouble... I'm wondering whether Google would object more to them than to the Coop in its present format.

I don't think the rule sucks at all... it's probably exactly what I would do if I were running a program like AdSense. And I don't see Google having to worry about peiople dropping AdSense any time soon...

minstrel, May 7, 2005 IP
  12. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I think themed links and content specific ads are 2 different things.

And yes; their answer on this was quite gray - but for the last couple of weeks I've been bugging them with questions and they've been pretty clear to me. I however decided on the side of caution and don't use them with any sf stuff or the like. It sounds like they are kind of gray on the subject.

flawebworks, May 7, 2005 IP
  13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes that rule does suck Minstrel, if I want to test other ads why should Google drop my network of ADSENSE pages :confused:

The rule is that you can not run competitive ads on the SAME PAGE, not the same site, correct :confused:

14. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry FWW... sf stuff? The only thing my brain is coming up with is science fiction and I am sure that´s not right.

e10, May 7, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I think e10 was using the phrase "the links are themed" loosely, referring to the fact that thee Link Vault text ads/links are (somewhat) content determined so they are more in your second category than the first.

As for AdSense, I have found that when I emailed them with "look at the ads on this page -- are the X ads here in violation of the AdSense TOS?", their responses are pretty clear.

minstrel, May 7, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting your statements/questions here, AC. I believe that for AdSense, the rule is on the same page but I'd have to double check that in the TOS -- I run ads site-wide myself, so it hasn't come up as an issue for me.

And if you want to test other ads, you have a choice: (1) test ads that aren't AdSense competitors -- there are definitely affiliate programs out there that Google doesn't mind, Amazon being one of them; or (2) comment out the AdSense ads while you are teesting the competition.

As I said, I may well be missing something here but I don't see the problem...:confused:

minstrel, May 7, 2005 IP
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Let me spell it out for you then, if a webmaster would like to test the new Yahoo ads on the same page with Adsense he should be allowed to do so to see what ads perform best.

18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You are allowed to do that sequentially, not simultaneously.

If I were running Google, I'd make the same rule... for the same reason Shawn made the rule about Coop vs. Link-Vault ads.

minstrel, May 7, 2005 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    What the hell is the difference :confused:

Google will let you run how many units on a page now (6 or so :confused: ) :confused:

What I am trying to tell you is this Minstrel, with payments going from dollars to pennies on most keywords folks are going to look at Yahoo or anyone else that can do better with different advertisers. Even Google has told us as they sign up more publishers payouts are going to be very little on the majority of keywords down the road.

Webmasters can't make a living off of ADSENSE unless they have a million hits a day, when keyword clicks are paying .02 cents each :eek:

anthonycea, May 8, 2005 IP
  20. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, let Yahoo first show up with something. Nothing happens yet. And for example if I'd like to test Yahoo and compare it with Google, I'd put Google ads on some pages and Yahoo on others, both with about the same traffic, after a couple of weeks put them vice versa and wait about the same time before I'd make any conclusion.

Arnie, May 8, 2005 IP