1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anonymous ratings on posts......why?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by niknakgroup, May 7, 2005.

OK, I am still fairly new to this forum, and I found a post which had been made sticky containing a dead link. I posted a reply to say the link was dead, could somebody unsticky it. I now find that somebody rated me and gave me a negative comment of "Why do you bump up old threads? Idiot.".

My questions:
    1 - is there a way to find who wrote this rating. As the post was originally sticky, it is near enough impossible to bump it, so the idiot is the person who posted the rating - I would like to return their favour and de-rate them.
    2 - If they are correct and I somehow bumped the post, how am I supposed to let somebody know that the post is now useless as it contains a dead link??
    3 - Is it normal on these forums to find such an unwelcoming audience? I am active on a large number of forums and always try to only post usefull information or ask for help in a constructive way.

I dont like to be negative, but I also dont like to be criticised when I have done nothing wrong. If I am to be criticised, the person giving the criticism whould at least have the b**ls to make themselves known and not hide behind an anonymous rating system.

All thoughts welcome!

niknakgroup, May 7, 2005 IP
    Ajeet, mopacfan, ResaleBroker and 2 others like this.
  2. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    because people like you would confront them. Just contact a mod to get the look into the review you have.

ServerUnion, May 7, 2005 IP
    justtara likes this.
  3. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    just keep active and put in your best posts and people will naturally give you positive rep. Don't bother the mods with the bad rep.

debunked, May 7, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    One word: fryman.

That's his trademark. He tries to make himself feel better about his life by jumping all over new members.

Most of us now just totally ignore him and his kind.

minstrel, May 7, 2005 IP
    candysmith likes this.
  5. justtara

justtara Peon

Best Answers:
    Ther idiot part was a bit much.

justtara, May 7, 2005 IP
  6. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    One positive note, atleast the commenter signed his name. Usually I get blank pos and negs.

Might want to just not fret about it. I seemed like I got negative comments my first post (an introduction post?). At first it made me figure this forum was full of wierdos, but I found many people to be constructive as well. So don't fret(repeating myself) and continue posting and contributing quality to the forum.

From one newbie to another.

tom

TommyD, May 7, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  7. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fryman has issues. I wonder if we should all chip in and pay for a few sessions of 'therapy' for him - hehe

Just bustin' yer chops Fryman.

NikNak - just keep posting, and don't pay too much attention to some of our 'special needs' members. It takes ALL KINDS to make up a forum as active and helpful as this

Welcome to DP by the way :)

Epica, May 7, 2005 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  8. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You did not deserve a red rating over this, that's completely nuts. I can understand regular thread bumping being an issue. But as you stated, this was a sticky thread, meaning it's important in some way, considering it contained a dead link, you were only helping by pointing it out. There's NOTHING wrong with that. It benefits us all in the future to have any and all dead links removed, although impossible on a forum this size. Still, a little help goes a long way so people don't waste their time clicking the dead link.

This just makes me fuming mad that someone gave you a red rep over it, they're obviously a little prick. :mad: It's no way to treat a new member who was just trying to help. In their paranoia they must have assumed you're just trying to get your sig active. Some people are such dumb asses. They make the whole community look bad to a new member.

I am sorry this happened. Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch.

Colleen, May 7, 2005 IP
    mopacfan and candysmith like this.
  9. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people have no life and bother with taking their sweet time to ruin someone elses rep while thinking high of themselfs

City2, May 7, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Well, surprise, surprise... I got anonymous red rep for this post :eek:

I wonder who that could have been? :D

Rep received 3:09 pm today
    fryman last activity 3:11 pm today; last post April 30, 2005

minstrel, May 7, 2005 IP
    ResaleBroker likes this.
  11. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know this fryman, but what did he do to make people think he's the one to have done this to our innocent, new member?

It's so childish, isn't it Minstrel? It's like we're really in the sandbox, literally.

Colleen, May 7, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Lady78, he is the prime suspect because, as I said, it's trademark behavior for him. He's done it many times before and not only on this forum. He used to call himself "Spamkiller" and do the same thing on another forum, until it was pointed out to him that one of the sites he owned was implanting spyware... then he changed his name... but not his behavior.

Also, see the addendum to my previous posts re: the time coincidence...

minstrel, May 7, 2005 IP
    dirtdog1960theone likes this.
  13. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe I got a welcome red rep from fryman too. Just pass it off as a rite you go through to join the club. It´s better than running a guantlet of kids with sticks and pepper spray.

So far, I´ve been told to shut up, told I am annoying and called a bitch. Well, okay. I do ramble on a bit. I am annoying and I can be a right bitch. So what. Whoever gave you the red one probably had an unpleasant little giggle to himself (or herself) and went on to trash someone else.

e10, May 7, 2005 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    He popped in again:

Who did he hit this time?

Note it has been 8 days since he last posted anything... in the interim, his activities seem to have been just blasting people anonymously.

minstrel, May 7, 2005 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    It is really a sad thing to see old members not giving newbies a chance to get a foothold and the administrators need to keep an eye out for this sort of conduct in the future so the members do not have to self police other members that are not being considerate of new members who in many cases are afraid to post in the first place.

I would say that old members should be warned once about insulting new members and banned if they do it again.

anthonycea, May 7, 2005 IP
  16. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think if someone does or says something dumb, it would be better for the other members to say so in the thread. Then everybody has the chance to learn something.

I have received red rep for hijacking a thread ( you´ll have had a few of them yourself, I suspect AC?) and for including a url in a quote. That´s fine. I learned something. But if I had been told so in the thread ( I was told off by Design Agent for the hijacking, actually) other newbies would have learned from my mistake.

I also got a red rep for complaining about somebody´s obnoxious signature. That´s human nature, I suppose. But the stupid schoolboy comments - comments like idiot, bitch and other personal comments - that´s just counter productive and could be hurtful and chase off some members.

I wish that when you received a reddie, it were possible to just click on it and send back a message to the sender. At least that way, you still may not know who sent it but you´d have the pleasure of having the last word. ( If I´m right, bozo can´t rep you back again until he´s sprinkled more rep around?)

e10, May 7, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  17. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    I am a newbie here and I have learned more on this forum than any other I have frequented, I must admit that the other day I received my first(only) anonymous RED rep which stated "you suck" , my post only confirmed that adsense was down and my stats for the first time I had ever noticed were 8 hours behind, I was confirming something, I have to say that this should be water of a ducks back, but for like the whole afternoon it really pissed me off, if Shawn wanted to do something new I would suggest that rep should not be allowed to be left anonymously, it could really affect new users.

sji2671, May 7, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    With all the attention this subject gets here I am sure Shawn will address the abuse of it down the road when he has time.

As far as members leaving I don't think that happens in many cases, most of you should just stick it out, we all know who the offenders of the rep system are good and bad.

Shawn knows more than he will ever admit about those who abuse the system and he will take care of it. :eek:

PS: People should not abuse the system or use is to get back at folks because the administration can see things members can not. :eek: :eek:

anthonycea, May 7, 2005 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    dude, I have gotten a taste of red repping as a welcome on SEW and now I can see what you guys mean. It sucks to feel pushed against the wall right away. I have given newbies here a welcome green for the heck of it, the ones who come off as cool people. We've been around here for so long, I think it's good to open the door to fresh blood without making them feel as if they have to prove themselves before they are allowed to say something.

Blogmaster, May 7, 2005 IP
  20. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You gave me a welcome greenie ST. I was hit with a couple of reds in the door and you gave me a green and told me to chill out, bud or something like that. Thanks, mate!

Maybe we need to organise a welcome committee to make sure every newbie gets a couple of greens to offset the Egor factor.

e10, May 7, 2005 IP