1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Future of Optigold ISP

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by digitalpoint, Jun 3, 2004.

1. owc

owc Peon

Best Answers:
    We now have 2 major revisions of Filemaker 7 and now 8.... still not even a sign of what's going on with OG....

As a side note I did install Agile... very simple... and got a reply regarding migration within an hour... but a little unsure as to dial-up use...but we'll see...

Jon.

owc, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  2. darren

darren Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I keep an eye on these forums in hope that the community will get an update eventually..... :) Agilebill does not have builtin support for dialup but I've found it easy to do usage based billing on it using my own tools. Drop me a line if you like. I'm doing voip usage based billing on it.

Darren Wiebe
    darren@aleph-com.net

darren, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  3. XtremePCConcepts

XtremePCConcepts Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Guys
    I am just wondering if this new one is going to be in a open source one because right now I am just starting up a wisp service and I just want to know if I can get the full verison of it without liceasing it right now intill get some money rolling in then i am thinking about liceasing it.

XtremePCConcepts, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  4. glidewave

glidewave Guest

Best Answers:
    DP: Not even a bread crumb as far as the "future of optigold"???.....

it's been over a year since we've all started voicing our desires/needs for the new birth of Opti, and after touting optigold from 1998-2003 (I recall conversing via the email list with Jeremy from MIA.NET helping me through some strange Opti/Macradius issues back during those times via the opti email list), and then purchasing Opti for the company that bought mine, I've now been given a week to finalize a replacement because of our increased churn and inability to offer what we need for the ISP side of our company to be competitive.... I've tested Agilebill - doesn't quite handle ISP types well (seems geared towards hosting); Platypus - Not sure yet; AdvancedISPBilling - awesome, and I mean awesome support (even without purchase) and now testing, and now adding RODOPI to test this weekend after reply from them....seems like it's going to be a once burned, 5 times shy type of thing......I mean opti may be great for those that *just* do dialup and can deal with Filemaker as a propriatary software so to speak...but with the ever expanding venue of services and options us ISP's need to offer to compete, it's not effective anymore....

We're (our company) is beyond using Filemaker, it's a pain;..and as one of the ISPs who *currently* dependent on a software for longevity ..we're beyond frustrated...heck..... I upgraded to Tiger server on our G5 server last week and it took a bit to figure out why Filemaker Server kept crashing when trying to startup .... had to delete everything down to the plist files.....and re-install Fmserver 5.5...Even with our main accounting system (iCode Everest), we don't have such issues.....(as the database backend is a current product, MS-SQL Advanced - yeah I hate windows, but it works).....

I sound like a jaded person, but I've been waiting for some word so I can stay with Opti, but with the lack of information, or even a realistic timeline like most customer oriented companies offer their customers, I'm hard pressed to "keep the faith" so to speak any longer......it looks like either AdvancedISPB or RODOPI will renew my faith unfortunately.

I swear this will be my last ramble.... either out of restraint or because I've moved on so to speak to another system. But do welcome my fellow ISP's input!

Jon Hiller
    OWC

glidewave, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Nope, sorry... Future versions are not announced until the day they are publicly available. If you need something that runs on something other than FileMaker within a week, I can tell you it will not be out in a week, but that's about all I can say really.

digitalpoint, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  6. glidewave

glidewave Guest

Best Answers:
    Shawn:
    I really didn't expect it to be out in a week. You could say more, but you answer with nothing more than that? I wasn't giving you a deadline, I was telling you my deadline; as a result of no information except "announced when released". I know I could stay with opti and stop deleting cancelled customers if we had an eta of any kind other than the one last year... I've been crying wolf internally here for over 10 months as I say "the new version is coming"; just wait. Our company is not based on an ISP; the ISP portion is about 12 percent annually of the company as a whole; yet I've always enjoyed the previous support and Apple friendliness of Opti since I started my first ISP in 1995. But now that we're well beyond 20 customers, having to report in a management meeting that "we're waiting for the new version" and being asked "what is the eta" for over a year, with no answer is wholly unacceptable.

Seriously, in the beginning when I was just entering the ISP business in 95 and thereafter I sincerely enjoyed you're curt and seemingly annoyed answers to things.... I'm near your age and I'm dealing with a 36M a year company trying to make decisions based on those replys now?....c'mon.. you can't think I'm out of line!

Jon Hiller
    OWC
    Edit/Delete Message

glidewave, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  7. TeleSouthNet

TeleSouthNet Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn is too busy being the "Master of the Universe" to be bothered with loyal clients or long forgotten promises to support the product. And as a result Optigold ISP has lost its golden luster. Just my opinion.

TeleSouthNet, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  8. TeleSouthNet

TeleSouthNet Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn, Someone MYSTERIOUSLY removed my posting regarding the LACK OF SUPPORT being provided. Hmmm, I wonder why?

I assume this one will be removed too. As it reflects one of the FEW requests we have made in years.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=18958

Two months and NO RESPONSE. And now I have upgraded and find that a bug we have pointed out has been ignored.

Are you going to remove this one too?

TeleSouthNet, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No one deleted any of your posts. You can use the search function to find all your posts.

digitalpoint, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  10. TeleSouthNet

TeleSouthNet Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes this is true. It was an issue with my browser and not the deletion of a post that caused confusion.

But I note that it is now THREE months since our original request for support. Namely the Virtual Check issue that needs to be fixed.

TeleSouthNet, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  11. sparklogic

sparklogic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn,

I share the frustration expressed by others on the list. With so little information being released by Digital Point, it puts into question if anything is being worked on at all. I think everyone understands that your policy is one not to announce release dates, but I do think it would help everyone out if you could provide a tenative feature list, screenshots, an alpha/beta version to play with, or something beyond "it is being worked on" and "it is php and mysql".

Clearly there are alternative packages out there as Jon and others have listed, but we all chose OptiGold over many of those alternatives in the first place -- and now that decision is being put into question by the lack of information regarding the OptiGold rewrite. Please offer something up as reassurance that we aren't looking at vaporware.

Thanks.

--Mike

sparklogic, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  12. glidewave

glidewave Guest

Best Answers:

I expect "Not announced until released" to be posted again-and for the next year. :) Anyone want our 5000 user license ;)

Jon.

glidewave, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  13. dr_Mike

dr_Mike Peon

Best Answers:
    After a great deal of research, we've found there are many very respectable ISP billing packages out there.
    Optigold is NOT one of them. It is MUD, as is its creator.

Even the cracked version is unusable.
    No serious company would buy anything from digital or Shawn either for that matter.
    When you make a product and sell it, you MUST be responsible for it, and not coward off like Shawn did.
    The moderator on this site should be ashamed to be involved with such a fraudster.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    dr_Mike, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  14. rodssmith

rodssmith Peon

Best Answers:
    wlee i think PHP / MySQL option would be better.

Thanks

rodssmith, Sep 29, 2011 IP
  15. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you dont like the product dont use it! nobody is forcing you.

jaree, Oct 1, 2011 IP