1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unbiased News: What are your favorite sources?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by cazort, Jun 8, 2011.

You can find mine on my page on unbiased news sources.

The name is a bit of a teaser. We all know that all news sources are biased.

But I am curious both what you think of my list, and what news sources you prefer to read for yourself.

cazort, Jun 8, 2011 IP
  2. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I'm fond of the Huffington Post. I usually read news by going to Google News, then clicking on whatever title sounds interesting. Many times when I've found a well-written article, I've noticed it's on the Huffington Post. I think what I like is that they go into detail, with longer articles, much more than sites like Reuters, for example. LA Times will often have thorough, detailed articles, and The Atlantic seems to be a good one as well. I agree with what you said though on your website, reading news from many sources is a good idea.

Rebecca, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  3. IsraeI

IsraeI Peon

Best Answers:
    I only accept news with evidence, regardless of the source.

IsraeI, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  4. cazort

cazort Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure how to feel about the Huffington Post. It's such a new player in the news world, which is neither a good nor a bad thing in itself, I just feel like it doesn't have as much of a history from which I can tell whether or not to trust it.

One thing I do not like about the Huffington Post, it seems to be very sensationalistic in its choice of headlines and arrangement of articles. As an online site, they are trying to maximize views. While this isn't a horrible thing in and of itself, I do not like it, and would prefer a news source that prioritized having accurate headlines and accurate prioritization of layout, over sensationalistic headlines and layouts intended to maximize views even if it results in disproportionate coverage of some issues. This also makes me wonder how much the writing of the articles themselves is designed to maximize their readership.

That said, it is a decent news source and I do like how it tends to have fairly long, detailed articles.

cazort, Jun 13, 2011 IP
  5. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    CNN , BBC , The Guardian , The Telegraph , The New York Times and Euronews . There are a few more good sources but i don't have time to check them all . All the sources I mentioned are unbiased and don't post an article until they have two good sources confirming the news .

The Huffington Post (huffing lol) is unreliable IMHO , it goes for a target market and strays from the values of true journalism . I sometimes think they're not that far from becoming another monster like Russia Today .

ApocalypseXL, Jun 13, 2011 IP
  6. Tray

Tray Peon

Best Answers:
    Fox News of course. ;)

Tray, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  7. atvking

atvking Active Member

Best Answers:
    "Saddam has WMD"

this is the problem with unbiased news...reporters dont get to go to saddams secret hide away and inspect his stash of WMD and then make a real story...reporters do what reporters do: SELL news...

another point is can most of the mainstream media AFFORD to be unbiased?...what will sell more news:

a) SADDAM HAS WMD!!!! AMERICA IS IN DANGER!!!! DANGER!!!!!!

b) the truth

another point is politicians are corrupt fucks that work for wall street but are also the main source of any news with global impact...the "news" they give is what suits their political careers the best... "bill clinton did not have sex with that woman + he smoked a marijuana joint but did not inhale" just as an example of what the "source" of most global news is= liars and crooks

unbiased news? thats like immaculate conception LOL a fairy tale for the stupid

atvking, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  8. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Agreed. They are fair and balanced. :)

Rebecca, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  9. securesite

securesite Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fox news is alot more balanced then CNN. The huffington post is a bunch of nutty liberal morons that have never worked a hard job in their lives. They usually hang out at expensive places and make up BS all day.

securesite, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  10. cazort

cazort Peon

Best Answers:
    One thing I find problematic about Fox News is that I think they tend to present themselves as being impartial, but they are not. The outlets that I list on my page are all ones that I think are more transparent about their biases.

cazort, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  11. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Cazort, I found an article that you might like. It's called 14 Propaganda Techniques Fox "News" Uses to Brainwash Americans. The first part of the article is somewhat ridiculous, as it doesn't give news readers near enough credit. It appears to label FOX viewers as being just a bunch of zombies who believe anything they watch. Personally, I don't really think that's true. However, I did like reading their list of brainwashing techniques. They can be applied to any news source.

Rebecca, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  12. eric8476

eric8476 Active Member

Best Answers:
    fox news says its fair and balanced based on the content of other news sources it competes against. but it is not fair and balanced when you evaluate it on its own content. that's the gist i get. correct me if i'm wrong.

hasn't the huffington post been around longer than rt?

eric8476, Jul 6, 2011 IP
  13. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    wwws, Jul 6, 2011 IP
  14. cazort

cazort Peon

Best Answers:
    I do think a lot of media outlets are guilty of fear-mongering, if only because they're trying to get more views or more readership, and there's a degree to which fear gets people to read news. I think this explains some of why the news can seem so negative sometimes.

But some of the things on this list are things that not all media outlets do. Take Ad Hominem attacks. I rarely see ad hominem attacks except on the editorial page, in most mainstream outlets. I would not list an outlet on my site if it repeatedly did this. And the same goes for most of the rest of the page.

I think the page you linked to isn't the most high-quality page though, so...I would be pretty critical of it just like you are. But there's a reason I didn't include FOX News on my list. I don't think it's a legit news outlet. The others I list, I do.

cazort, Sep 29, 2011 IP
  15. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pure comedy. Your list of unbiased news sources are all biased with some, like BBC, Al Jazeera, and Christian Science Monitor, having an extreme and consistent bias. Maybe you should watch more Fox for the same reasons you claim to watch Al Jazeera.

Pursue this goal far enough, and you will wind up like Diogenes.

Obamanation, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  16. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    What are you talking about?

When a new channel sings to my tune, it is NOT biased!!
    It is biased when it doesn't sing to MY tunes!!

The Webby, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  17. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    for middle east news, Al Jazeera. for economy, CNBC news and for our news BBC Persian.

babak44, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Didn't the OP say "unbiased?" :)

Mia, Sep 30, 2011 IP
  19. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah right Mia, they are completely unbiased but guess more reliable on those purpose.

babak44, Oct 2, 2011 IP
  20. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah right Mia, they aren't completely unbiased but guess more reliable on those purpose.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
    babak44, Oct 2, 2011 IP