1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to get away from WordPress and re-design my site....but how? Help Please.

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by evenstar06, Sep 8, 2011.

Hello, I am a total newbie to this site and in desperate need of some help from those who are knowledgeable, so here it goes! (And I apologize in advance if I have posted to the wrong board).

Basically, I am an actor and have my own personal site. My friend is currently hosting it on one of his servers for me. Not knowing much of anything when I first got it, he installed Wordpress and I have since been using templates to make my site.

However, it looks a little unprofessional and I want to get away from the bloggish templates and Wordpress altogether. Everyone I know says "Oh, get Dreamweaver....it takes awhile to learn but then you can make all your own stuff, etc."

However, seeing as I am not directly hosting my site and currently working through Wordpress, how would I go about doing that? What other options or recommendations do you have and steps to do so? I do have control of the main panel in Wordpress. And I really want to change it soon - can't stand looking at the template and clunkiness of the site!!

(For reference I'm looking for a very clean appearance: a main page with a few top links to resume, photos, uploaded videos, contact info, and that's about it).

Thank you in advance for your help!!

amanda :)

evenstar06, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  2. RobV

RobV Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say you just have the wrong template. Templates, their back end features and the way they are designed can make it an enjoyable experience or a nightmare. There are websites running WP that look nothing like "Wordpress".

Moving to Dreamweaver because this Wordpress template isn't working out is like you starting to date girls because the first guy you met at the bar wasn't your prince charming.

RobV, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  3. alexdoerr

alexdoerr Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many WP themes out there which are perfect for hosting personal site. They not at all look like a blog. Selecting a right theme is important. If you are ready to spend some amount, hire a WP designer or any Web Designer and get it designed as you like.

If the site is hosted on your friend's server, ask him to provide you the login details. If he cannot, simply take the backup of your data and host it on another server. You might have to buy hosting for yourself.

I would suggest you to stick with Wordpress as it is a CMS which easier to manage than any other CMS. Also, custom build sites will require you to know HTML, PHP etc.

alexdoerr, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  4. crispunk

crispunk Member

Best Answers:
    You could hire someonne to design your site so it wont look like a blog but a portfolio.

WP is only the cms

crispunk, Sep 23, 2011 IP
  5. Mike Inkster

Mike Inkster Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress can be used as a standard website or a blog style.
    Ask your friend if he is able to do this or not.

If not ask for a copy on for a backup and there are people that may help you.

Mike Inkster, Oct 28, 2011 IP
  6. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, if you are not expart enough, then go through a professional developer. If you are expart, then you can do it by editing temaplate files of the WP theme.
    You can contact me for professional service. I have been working with wordpress since 2008 :)

тнє Sufi, Oct 30, 2011 IP
  7. hassan001

hassan001 Active Member

Best Answers:
    My Opinion: Just hire someone here for few bucks and let him do the job for you according to your needs..... As you say you are a newbie so it might take long time to understand this all....

Regards!

hassan001, Nov 14, 2011 IP
  8. andersonsjohn

andersonsjohn Banned

Best Answers:
    If you want the professional look for your website then hire the professionals.. Get a custom made designs... Outsource the project , you can get it done for cheap price... hope it helped you.

andersonsjohn, Jan 11, 2012 IP