1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moron Imprisoned for Rude Online Behavior

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Will.Spencer, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now you are talking, though the fact remains: Under the type of law you would have us live under, your intention will be determined by a jury of your peers, following your arrest and arraignment. If a reasonable person thinks you might have meant to cause me emotional distress by calling me a precious little princess, you are fit to be arrested. As distasteful as I find your commentary, an arrest or jail time is entirely inappropriate. I prefer to have you flounder about embarrassing yourself.

Obamanation, Sep 20, 2011 IP
  2. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely, just like they do in every single other court case. That's what juries do. What are you arguing for now? The abolition of juries on the grounds that they determine things? Maybe we should also make murder not a criminal offence because the jury are to decide what the intentions were.

Your arguments practically fall appart on their own, the sad thing is, you're the only one who can't see it happening.

stOx, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  3. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm willing to admit part of your post had merit. See above. :)

O'nation made an interesting observation earlier about how liberals so frequently try to characterize their opposition as being fascists, but oddly liberals are the most prepared to support laws that could lead to authoritarian rule. Appears obamanation was right. You guys go ahead and see if you can get the government into the forum moderation biz... I'm gonna pass on following you over that cliff.

robjones, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  4. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If anyone is screaming anything in a child's face all day, it is type of harassment. The words are immaterial. Try again please.

browntwn, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  5. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you think that actions of Mr. Duffy don't count as harassment?

The Webby, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  6. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you ever look at your own arguments, scratch your head and go, now how the hell did I come up with that? Was it your intention to equate the exercise of free speech to murder? Let me walk you back through it.

1) You say my hurt feelings from you calling me a precious princess would not be criminal based on your intentions:
    2) I point out you would have the cops arresting people and providing them jury trials for claims of hurt feelings, having those intentions determined in court:
    3) and your response is: Absolutely! They try murder suspects don't they?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

And with delicious irony, you add:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    Obamanation, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  7. browntwn

Best Answers:
    I didn't say it isn't harassment, I said it does not need a JAIL sentence. This is starting to get repetitive and boring.

I think it should be dealt with as civil matter, not a criminal one. If the family wants to sue him, have at it. I do not think the state needs to JAIL people for harassing insults, not even made in person, but online.

I find the notion that someone physically screaming in the face of a child for hours much more offensive, abusive, and immediate, than someone posting insults on a website that may or may not ever even be read by the family.

8. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    stOx saying nutty things and Helvetii trying to play the role of the cheerleader squad . Now that's a familiar view .

Next up : Religious people say the Earth is round and stOx will argue that it's flat . Helvetii will say that he always knew that .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am short of time to read the whole thread but I am all for free speech and looking at the title, my suggestion will be that we should all contribute to set up a legal defense fond for ApocalypseXL.

gworld, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  10. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh ya I forgot about gstring showing up and trying to troll people . He's like a little dog that you know will always misbehave and bark . Fortunately Spoiltdiva will show up pick him up and put him in her purse ;)

ApocalypseXL, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  11. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    That makes sense..
    Sorry for assuming that you meant it wasn't harassment .. Reading last few pages was extremely boring, they are filled with, as you said repetitive stuffs.

Yeah it makes sense, Jailing him is kinda over the mark.. I'm in favor of sending him to mental institution.

You talk from your ass, you shit from your mouth...
    Make a video dude, it will go viral!!

I'm curious.. Can you always bark or can you actually bite?

The Webby, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  12. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:

Well, the Conservative jurists but one ruled for the Liberal Opinion - Where the Conservative Alito would give the "Moron" jail time, in the US.

Breeze Wood, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  13. browntwn

Best Answers:
    The case was not a case about JAIL time. You need read more carefully.

This was a case where someone was sued for money, not the state trying to JAIL anyone. The court ruled that they couldn't even get money for being insulted, except for Alito who said they should be able to sue and no First Amendment protection should apply.

14. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:

The decision does involve principles of Free Speech.

The case is not entirely unrelated as whether or not offensive behavior in speech is protected by the Constitution from criminal prosecution by either the State or private interests and whether the State would have the authority to arrest the participants.

15. browntwn

Best Answers:
    It was an appeal of a civil, not criminal case. It has nothing to do with criminal prosecution for speech.

"Punishing" as using in this context refers to the paying of money damages, not jail.

16. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:

Read the Article - the case is precedent, already established for "Free Speech" in the US that is used to resolve the issue whether money or jail.

17. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Your do not understand the way the law works. C'est la vie.

18. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:

Ok browny, but in America your civil case may not work either - though I'm with you that would be a better way of handling it.

19. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Yes they can, and did, sue civilly and a judge or jury can decide if there was, in fact, an intentional infliction of emotional distress. Just because I believe they have a right to sue does not mean that they must win. The facts of each case would dictate the result.

If you read that case you've cited above you would know that one of the issues is whether their signs were even directed a at a single person or just society as a whole and then depending on that, whether they should be able to sue.

Also, as to your previous claims regarding whether or not this case dealt with criminality of their speech. It did not. Mr. Summers was representing the family who was suing admits as much in his argument to the court.

One issue in the case:

The group says they were insulting society as a whole, and chose a legal venue from which to do so. The father of the Marine believed the signs (which he never read there and only on TV coverage later) were directed to him about his son. That is a factual issue that is decided by judges and juries in our system.

Do you really want to keep going? Anyone can read more about the case, the arguments, the decisions, by searching this "09-751 SNYDER V. PHELPS"

edit: Just read this it and it seemed topical:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...und-dead-outside-home-over-gay-bullying-.html

20. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    Sad, but sadder yet that he took his own life - needlessly....too bad.

If you should take what people say over the internet seriously, someone like "O...nation" would solve world overpopulation in only a few days.