1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Genuine windows software, please help!

Discussion in 'Bing' started by swoopo, Jul 16, 2011.

I have just brought a laptop with out the hard drive and I have a new clean hard drive here, do I need to buy a new windows xp product key for it even tho this laptop use to have windows xp installed.

swoopo, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  2. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    More than likely, yes.
    Why I dropped xp and bought a new computer with windows 7.
    MS wanted me to purchase a new license for xp.
    This was after I had to wipe out my hard drive and reload xp.

iowadawg, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  3. WaldorfPC

WaldorfPC Member

Best Answers:
    You do not need to purchase a new license. What I am going to share with you, Microsoft will not. Don't worry, it is completely legal. I do this when I fix computers all of the time. And so do many other computer technicians.

On the computers, there should be a sticker that contains the product key of the operating system that originally came with the computer. On that sticker, you will not only find the twenty-five digit product key, you will also find the name and version of your operating system, such as Windows XP Home. For laptops, you will find it on the bottom. Just get yourself a windows boot disk, and make sure it corresponds with the exact version of your operating system that is written on your product key. When you are prompted, enter the twenty-five digit product key that you find on the sticker of your computer, and you will e good to go.

When you are finished installing Windows, you will be required to activate it. This is to make sure you are not doing anything illegal. The activation process will enable you to register Windows under yourself. You say this computer was given to you. that is okay, Microsoft will not kill you for that. I mean, people give computers away all the time.

Sometimes, you will not be able to activate Windows online because the product key has run out of activations. Do not worry your brains. Call Microsoft andactivate it by phone. When the rep answers, tell him or her that you are trying to activate Windows, and your product key has run out of activations. They will proceed to give you a new product key, which you will want to write down in case you need it again. If you happen to lose the new product key, you can always refer back to your old one again.

If you do not know where to get a boot disk from, you can go to www.bootdisk.com and make your own. You'll need a program to burn the ISO file onto the CD, though. and you can get most of those much cheaper than you can purchase a Windows operating system.

I hope I have helped.

Happy computing

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
    WaldorfPC, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  4. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No need, though I would recommend you to get win7.

wptheme, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  5. riversair

riversair Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, you dont need to get a new key

riversair, Jul 17, 2011 IP
  6. amkeabhi123

amkeabhi123 Member

Best Answers:
    you can use the pirated software so your window and any software if genuine ,so use original software
    thanks

amkeabhi123, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  7. karan.digital

karan.digital Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends. Did you buy the laptop with windows xp preinstalled? If yes then you don't need to purchase it again. You can reinstall windows as many as you want. But if you bought the laptop without any os installed then you need to buy it or ofc you can go for the illegal torrent option..

karan.digital, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  8. karan.digital

karan.digital Peon

Best Answers:
    i just re read your post. As you say that it had windows xp preinstalled then you can use the product key present on the laptop to activate it..

karan.digital, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  9. Warrichpk

Warrichpk Banned

Best Answers:
    Hello swoopo
    I will suggest you go for new xp and that to xp sp3 is the best one because some softwares and games will not support the windows7 and vista so it is better to go for xp sp3 and there is no need to buy you can find free online
    Enjoy it

Warrichpk, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  10. SeniorWarden6407

SeniorWarden6407 Peon

Best Answers:
    ??? What does this mean???

SeniorWarden6407, Jul 28, 2011 IP
  11. pamela88

pamela88 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no need to by new license. you can call help desk if you face problems with genuine.

pamela88, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  12. Pratik Bhatt

Pratik Bhatt Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have purchased with the XP installation than go for the Windows XP user license key other wise if you planning to have new one than its already the Window 7 original version in built it.

Pratik Bhatt, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  13. MariahLinda99

MariahLinda99 Peon

Best Answers:
    The key which is given with the windows XP is just for XP and can't be used for the any other window, while the windows vista and 7 do not require any of the registration key..!

MariahLinda99, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  14. Corcorlee

Corcorlee Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't need one if you have a key on there! Typed to the bottom!

Corcorlee, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  15. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1) ALL versions of Windows, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and, when it's released, 8, require (or will require) an activation (registration) key.

2) If you do have to get a new activation key, write it on a piece of paper with an indelible marker and tape it to the bottom of the laptop, covering the key with transparent tape.

Rukbat, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  16. nastyguys

nastyguys Member

Best Answers:
    Is there any COA label on the laptop. if not then you need to buy a windows xp PID from retail for genuine.

nastyguys, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  17. mccomf

mccomf Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends whether your windows is retail or OEM.
    If it is OEM you might have a problem to install fresh copy of windows using key that came with the PC/Laptop and may require telephone robocall to parse the exact Product Key.

mccomf, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  18. lata.prem972@gmail.com

lata.prem972@gmail.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I have just brought a laptop last year with out the hard drive and I have a new clean hard drive here, do I need to buy a new windows xp product key for it.If you have windows xp ALL product keya please send me in

thanks
    lata

lata.prem972@gmail.com, Sep 16, 2011 IP
  19. selma101

selma101 Peon

Best Answers:
    it's very good information that you give us..

selma101, Sep 16, 2011 IP
  20. jdevilliers

jdevilliers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree, the best way to do this will check underneath the laptop. There should be a sticker with the Product Code on it. You should get the installation CD for the version that is stated on the sticker. If it says, MS Windows XP HOME, Don't try installing MS Windows XP Pro as the product code will not work. Also make sure that you get the CD for an OEM or DSP package. This is perfectly legal. If your product code still does not work, phone Microsoft and they will make the Product Code available so that you can use it again. I've done this 100 times in my IT career

jdevilliers, Sep 27, 2011 IP