1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO for website containing images

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by toxictaz, Sep 15, 2011.

My site contains mostly images and some text. I have been trying to do some SEO but because of the immense competition in my niche, I have achieved little success. Should I focus on getting targeted traffic through targeted backlinks or is there any other strategy for image based websites. Please help.

toxictaz, Sep 15, 2011 IP
  2. proximate

proximate Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting some quality backlinks is a first essensial but don't waste your $$$ on the wrong kind of backlinks - They won't work.

Since the Google "Panda" update a lot has changed.

Google has moved the playing field and simple text links are almost counter productive, Pyramid linkbuilding is no longer worth the effort but Contextual Links will get you an almost immediate SERPS improvement.

Tens of thousands of both can be done in 24hrs using Scrapebox, and because of that Google is now giving simple text links less weight in SERPS.

If you watch the latest video by Matt Cutts, Google's own guru, you will learn that contextual backlinks now have the most value.

Contextual backlinks are links placed inside an article or blog post that are in the context of their surrounding text, so they look natural.

For example an article on firefighting might have links to a firestation URL. These are quite time consuming to create and invariably need an image to get maximum Google juice.

For anyone planning to create backlinks I recommend you to take 3 minutes to watch the Matt Cutts video on http://autoseosystem.com

If you recognise the change he speaks about. then afterwards use their FREE software to create some contextual articles embedded with your own URL.

proximate, Sep 15, 2011 IP
  3. expertofexperts

expertofexperts Active Member

Best Answers:
    Such websites are real hard to promote as per SERP's. You have only limited choices like alt tags, stuffing some contents around image.. I can't think of any other

expertofexperts, Sep 15, 2011 IP
  4. Ilona Andrews

Ilona Andrews Peon

Best Answers:
    Its hard to promote such sites , I think you have have to choose some content related your images and create all alt tag .

Ilona Andrews, Sep 16, 2011 IP
  5. ladylioness

ladylioness Peon

Best Answers:
    you could maybe create a page of pure content and optimize that for your target keyword. Discreetly link your other pages to it and from the content page link to your homepage with anchor text of main keyword. Write articles, submit to ezine for backlinks. Do guest blogging, that helps.

ladylioness, Sep 16, 2011 IP
  6. Kavel

Kavel Peon

Best Answers:
    Its indeed not a cake walk constantly get a handsome traffic through images. You should pen down some good content ans then go for its optimization. That shall work.

Kavel, Sep 16, 2011 IP
  7. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try to add some on page text/descriptions

It could do miracles ...

w3bmaster, Sep 16, 2011 IP
  8. Anna Howard

Anna Howard Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if your website has images than by optimizing the alt tags of the image properly one can preform image optimization for the images in order to appear in the domain of google.com....

Anna Howard, Sep 16, 2011 IP
    Nova706 likes this.
  9. contenthangover

contenthangover Peon

Best Answers:
    Anna has a good point, but we understand how time consuming this can be, especially if you have thousands of images. Short, one sentence text descriptions can help as well, but the appropriate keywords will have to be placed in it. Try not to make it anymore than about 75-100 characters either.

Honestly, the amount of time it would take you to alter tags, write descriptions, etc., you could really put a dent in your backlinking strategies (whatever techniques they might be). Whatever you do, make sure you consider it productive for the amount of time you're spending on it.

Good Luck~

contenthangover, Sep 16, 2011 IP
  10. Nova706

Nova706 Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed with Anna, make sure your images have descriptive alt tags... you can use keywords in them too but don't go overboard. Another great tool is Google's image sitemaps. Search for image sitemaps on google to find out more. This will help you get into Google Image search results which will create more traffic and in turn get you a higher ranking.

Time is always the biggest factor in ranking... anyone telling you they can get you on page one in a couple of days/weeks is either lying to you or is using black hat SEO tactics. Target a small specific audience... find a nich in your profession and target that... make your target also geo specific... for example If you are a photographer, maybe you live in LA and you love doing abstract cat photos... target something like "Abstract cat photographer in Las Angeles". Then gear your keywords, page titles, page descriptions, and meta tags to that.

Once you get more attention and get ranked higher, go bigger like a region of a state or broader like abstract photographer.

Nova706, Sep 16, 2011 IP
  11. dailyposters

dailyposters Banned

Best Answers:
    i think you can add some text description in images pages

dailyposters, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  12. shafiqgojra

shafiqgojra Peon

Best Answers:
    Work Offer Description PKR www.cybergojra.com is the preferred choice for hosting personal and small business websites. Our high quality service includes fast and reliable servers, professional and friendly staff, multiple free tools, and a feature-rich hosting package. So started now your work as a new website and share your ideas and your dream we help your website achievement and earning purpose. We offer you stated work in classifieds website and earn the money regular. We train the SEO tips and work at home and achieve the earning targets. This is the very simple. Complete website 10000 PKR and 2 Months SEO 15000 and you grow up the work fast and easy and change your dream.

shafiqgojra, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  13. riysoft

riysoft Peon

Best Answers:
    Try Alt tags for the images. You will get results then :)

riysoft, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  14. toxictaz

toxictaz Member

Best Answers:
    Alt tags help me get some traffic from google images, but I guess I'll have to work more on optimizing the content on the site.

toxictaz, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  15. geek20020

geek20020 Peon

Best Answers:
    It goes back to the basic: great content that contains the relevant links counts.

geek20020, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  16. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    Sites that are based on Images always do poorly. The SE's are a text based search engine. So before you move on into link building, change your design concept to put ~150 unique words/sentences on each page. It MUST be unique or you will get a Duplicate Content Penalty. Make sure that the Image's Alt tag contains your keyword phrase. And if possible add a link to another page within your site.

Example:
    < a name="Internet-Marketing-Services-Link" href="http://www.catanich.com/" title="Internet Marketing Services Dallas SEO Search Engine Optimization Services Company" >
    < img id="Internet-Marketing-Services-Logo" src="http://www.catanich.com/images/internet-marketing-company-cim.gif" alt="Catanich Internet Marketing Services: Search Engine Optimization, Pay Per Click Advertising, Link Building, Keyword Research, Site Analytics" height="27" width="130" border="0">
    < /a>

catanich, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  17. Kiranraj

Kiranraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Optimized images with the targeted keywords in the alt tag

Kiranraj, Sep 17, 2011 IP
  18. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    SE dont like images that much because of the fact that they can't crawl them. So if you have any text or keywords that you have and you want it to be used for the image so that the SE can read them then you should use the alt tag. In the code where the image is being called from write the line alt="your keyword". Works well and then the search engines can read what the image was used for.

unknownpray, Sep 18, 2011 IP
  19. padu

padu Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO for a site contains images, i would suggest to use ALT tags + create a section at end of page where you write a lot of content relating to that page, trust me your site will rank top in SE.

padu, Sep 18, 2011 IP