1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help me understand custom DNS

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by crystak, Sep 12, 2011.

I know I'm missing something but not sure what.

Basically, I have 2 custom DNS on my dedi that the domain points to (ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com).

Now, I want to downgrade the dedi so I will need to open another account. I haven't done this yet, but presumably I can make 2 DNS called ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com on this new server as well, without updating the DNS on godaddy for my domain. I don't recall being asked for an IP address when updating the DNS, or am I wrong?

How will then godaddy know which server to direct the domain to if they can both show the same DNS?

crystak, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  2. elicitservers

elicitservers Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you using the same IP addresses after the switch to the new dedi? Thats likely going to be the deciding factor on whether or not anything needs updated at GoDaddy :)

elicitservers, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  3. crystak

crystak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think I will be, no.. I haven't done this in years but I can't see an option on godaddy under domain manager to change any IP addresses.

crystak, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  4. elicitservers

elicitservers Peon

Best Answers:
    If you go into the GoDaddy domain manager for the domain in question, at the bottom left you'll see "Host Summary", this is where you register your private nameservers. Basically you make entries like "ns1" & "ns2" and point them to IP addresses. If you already have these entries there, you can edit them to point towards your new IP's once your new dedi is online and ready to go. After that all you need to do is make sure to update your DNS in GoDaddy to point towards ns1|ns2.yourdomain.com

elicitservers, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  5. crystak

crystak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, thanks but I don't seem to have any entries there yet the website is being forwarded properly. How comes?

crystak, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  6. alexdoerr

alexdoerr Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you mean that your website is being propagated from the new downgraded server properly without doing anything at GoDaddy's Domain Manager? You may need to clear the cache and delete the cookies before you retry. It is recommended that you point the domain name DNS to the IP address first and later you get the custom private DNS.

alexdoerr, Sep 12, 2011 IP