1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Move a Wordpress site from one URL to another

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by HighRollerT, Aug 29, 2011.

I convinced my friend to kill off his ugly ASPX website and replace with a new Wordpress site. I want to build the website at a subdomain then move it over to the company website all at once.

How can I do this without causing too much trouble. Is there an easy or automated way? CAn anyone suggest a website or tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks

HighRollerT, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  2. Mr.AD

Mr.AD Member

Best Answers:
    Do you want to convert ASPX website to WordPress (new) ?

Mr.AD, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  3. gmonlinegames

gmonlinegames Peon

Best Answers:
    Just build it, and when you are finished you just need t change the URL in the settings in the WP administration to the new URL's. When you press "save settings" there will be a 404 error. Then move the files to the URL you changed it to and woallahh... there you have the new WP-site up and running.

If anything goes wrong you can always set the URL directly in the wp-config.php, and here is how you do that manually:

define('WP_HOME','http://example.com');
    define('WP_SITEURL','http://example.com');

gmonlinegames, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  4. nicheguy1

nicheguy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry it don't work that way. Too many variables, especially when you have many pages, posts and plugins that depend on the main Url That is why programs like backup buddy cost so much. I have a post up in this tread which offers a solution. Hey, try it this way, when it doesn't work contact me!

nicheguy1, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  5. gmonlinegames

gmonlinegames Peon

Best Answers:
    he is going to build a new site, so it does not matter when there is no posts

gmonlinegames, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  6. cedric

cedric Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Step by step instructions: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Don't forget to change the URL in your blog's settings otherwise it's a little complicated to fix.

cedric, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  7. nicheguy1

nicheguy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your right there. Thanks for that!

nicheguy1, Sep 6, 2011 IP
  8. xluciusx

xluciusx Peon

Best Answers:
    The best ever advice I received when I worked on a project like that awhile ago was..and especially if his site has pages indexed within the search engines is to take note of the pages and where they go, after his new Wordpress site has been built, install a plugin called simple 301 redirect, and simple place the old url in on field and the new on the left.

What this does is tells search engines that the site has moved, however the links have been somewhat preserved as well as updated and to follow the new links and index those instead of keep searching and indexing the old ones.

Also if you need assistance, I don't mind helping, it's easy as pie once the picture falls into place. Then you'll be addicted to making sites on WordPress.

xluciusx, Sep 7, 2011 IP