1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does Canonical Error affect SEO ????

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sumi, Nov 20, 2006.

hi friends

I got to know the below .......... .Can any one tell me how far this is correct????

"" Canonicalization is the process of picking the best url when there are several choices, and it usually refers to home pages. For example, most people would consider these the same urls:

* www.example.com
    * example.com/
    * www.example.com/index.html
    * example.com/home.asp

But technically all of these urls are different. A web server could return completely different content for all the urls above. When Google “canonicalizes” a url, we try to pick the url that seems like the best representative from that set.""

sumi, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  2. ewc21

ewc21 Peon

Best Answers:
    The statement is correct. So instead of having internal links with various forms of URLs representing the same page, pick and consolidate all PR values to one single page.

In your example, I could pick www.example.com and do some redirections for instances of all the other URLs.

ewc21, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  3. arnabme

arnabme Member

Best Answers:
    I would say to do a redirection from all the url's to the main domain url as ewc21 suggested and then make the internal linking structure same i.e. to point to wwwdotdomaindotcom from all the internal pages.

arnabme, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  4. globalinsolutions

globalinsolutions Guest

Best Answers:
    Canonical issue can affect your ranking in google search engine. This problem occurred only in google search engine. As per google webmaster guideline, a web site with www & without www is treated two individual web sites with same content. So in this case google takes one web site as a duplicate content. It affects not only your ranking also affects your web site page rank. So you need to write a specific code so that when you enter domainname.com, the browser automatically redirects it to www.domainname.com

globalinsolutions, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  5. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    DaveN suggests you do the following:
    <ifmodule mod_rewrite.c> 
            RewriteCond     %{HTTP_HOST}    !^http://www.davidnaylor.co.uk$        [NC] 
            RewriteRule     ^(.*)$          http://www.davidnaylor.co.uk/$1 [R=301,L,QSA] 
    </ifmodule>
    Code (markup):
    in his blog, url canonicalization

mcfox, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  6. Healthtips Sportstraining

Healthtips Sportstraining Peon

Best Answers:
    For example, most people would consider these the same urls:

www.domain.com
    domain.com/
    www.domain.com/index.html
    domain.com/home.asp
    But technically all of these urls are different. A web server could return completely different content for all the urls above. When Google “canonicalizes” a url, we try to pick the url that seems like the best representative from that set.

7. gogetit

gogetit Peon

Best Answers:
    How can i redirect my site non www to www page. Could you let me know the steps. Check out my site(sign. link ) It open with
    non www
    homepage/index.html etc...

gogetit, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  8. Satyendra Kumar Singh

Satyendra Kumar Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Canonical issue can affect your ranking in google search engine.

Satyendra Kumar Singh, Sep 10, 2011 IP
  9. RichardEder

RichardEder Peon

Best Answers:
    The recent upgrade of All in One SEO Plugin checked the canonical urls option by default.

RichardEder, Sep 22, 2011 IP