1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Racist? "Indians Only..."

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by recraig2, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shydimp

shydimp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    "One told me she hates being white. :-D She was a bit loose in the screws."Now, that is subtly racist man.

shydimp, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  2. mcc1270

mcc1270 Peon

Best Answers:
    He/She might want the person who knows every thing about India and familiar to India

mcc1270, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  3. vijaychauhan007

vijaychauhan007 Member

Best Answers:
    the most important thing is, Indians can write in comparatively cheaper price and they are most reliable guys.

vijaychauhan007, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  4. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Could you dismiss that point as easily?

Another good point that'll be hard (for a reasonable person) to dismiss...

The first 7 posters are LAME and the others (besides YMC) are LOGS that just lay around on the ground.
    But don't take it personally :rolleyes:

Wow!
    Let me guess. You don't care about anybody's cultural beliefs or ideologies except your own, and even if they do make sense, you'll brush them aside as if there irrelevant so you don't have to acknowledge them. (Big Ot?)

Ah ha! Just as I thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry
    A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

I came to the same conclusion when he dismissed averyz first post on the first page...
    I know I shouldn't be replying to this thread because its flogging a dead horse and feeding the troll. But I couldn't help my self.

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Sep 4, 2011 IP
    YMC likes this.
  5. dkent555

dkent555 Member

Best Answers:
    I honestly think you're over looking it. The poster of the job said "Indians Only" because he/she meant that they could only afford the rates of what Indians usually charge, so the person is unlikely to of done it purely based on the race.

In fact, I posted a job on a freelance website just last week, and I actually stated "UK, USA or Australian" based freelancers only need to apply. My intentions were to have quotes only coming from those are more qualified for the job. English must their first language, this was my number one factor for choosing the right person. I know there are many people in other countries that have English as their first language, but I am purely trying to get across the message that I need someone who is going to do the job first time round. I simply do not want any language barriers between myself and the freelancer.

The freelancer I chose will be hired by me every month. Now tell me what you think would happen if I did not specify UK, USA or Australian only? That's right, I would get quotes from people I would have no intentions of hiring. Employers should be able to choose who they want to hire, just like our stupid government forcing employers to accept disabled people. It's a load of political bullsh*t.

I have nothing against the disabled by the way, but we just shouldn't be told what to do and how we are to run our business.

Call us racists if you want, I couldn't give a s.... If I want to choose someone in Britain who I know is going to speak English over someone in India, then I will.

And just for your information, I have a small team of Indians that I hire every week. I hire many different people, and I hire them based on the SUITABILITY.

Trust me, I've tried having an Indian provide me with quality copywriting work, I've hired many, and they just waste my time and money as they just cannot do it as well as others.

I will stick with my current copywriter in the UK who is also a Journalist for the BBC. Hourly rate: £20.

You get what you pay for...

dkent555, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  6. ~raven

~raven Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol! The most funny thread I have seen on DP so far.

OP seems to be very opinionated.

Indians as such is not a race plus he claims that writing what he saw is definitely racism. Though I may go down to technicalities and could write no less than 40 pages on this one but I am not going to do it. Time is one thing we all should value. This accusation will not even stand for two hearings in almost any forum of law.

But I am not opinionated. So the best way is to leave it to professionals. OP, I and you can have a bet. We will deposit $5,000 each in an escrow account and hire an arbitrator with experience in racism related matters and conflicts. He will read your post and will decide on the matter if its racism or not based on any of the law book you prefer (Australian, US, Indian, British, Scottish, Canadian or Swedish). His fees will be about $2000 and rest winner will take home ($8000-$1000 lawyer fees = $7000). What say?

I believe you are from Seattle but I know a lawyer in Cali that will make it happen. The escrow agreement will be governed by California's rule of law (juridiction).

Lets do it mate. There is no point playing ping pong. Lets hear it straight from the horse's mouth!

I will not be in US for long. So please reply quickly so we can do this!

Do you have the balls?

~raven, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  7. dkent555

dkent555 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Raven,

Would you be interested in helping me with my business? Your money would be better spent as an investment in it than making a bet with the OP.

Darren.

dkent555, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  8. Grant W Morrison

Grant W Morrison Peon

Best Answers:
    I think who does the best job and the best price should get the job.

Grant W Morrison, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  9. ~raven

~raven Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Darren but it will be (if at all he has balls) one of the best investments/bets of my life.

It is almost completely risk free. The probability of losing it less than 1/100. Plus the ROI of 40% in few days is awesome. Will beat my wife's best days at wall street!

Plus I am tired of it. Some westerners caricaturing, ridiculing, abusing, and desecrating my people from Indian sub continent. Western 'thinkers' and 'professors' calling Indian visa policies racist because they do not allow Pakistan based young males from UK to travel or live in India (apparently few of their students were denied Indian visa). This same policy have been adopted by US and other western governments because its a real, major and practical security threat (every one knows of the bombing attempt at New York's times square) but they can't label or call them racists (same skin color, yeah right).

This persecuting and fascist attitude (like of the OP) has to change. There are hundreds of posts in this board where 'US only' and 'UK only' are the requirements. Not only this, there are hundreds of posts which phrases 'No Indians/Filipino/Pakis etc.' He does not see them racist but trying to fulfill his persecuting agenda decided to seed this thread. He didn't reported the thread to be deleted but rather wanted to have a self-assertive and prejudiced 'discussion'. I will not go into technicalities as I have already mentioned.

I know that this is not going to change with the opinions and small talks. Need to take the fight to the next level. I still remember a forum flooded with comments like "bloody Indian/Pakis" and tens of racist slangs like it. I emailed and PM the US based admin to remove the posts and take action against the racists according to forum's rules. He denied brazenly and told me to get lost. And within 24 hours of my lawyer contacting him threatening him of a criminal lawsuit, all the racists post were deleted, racists banned and a forum announcement that they will not tolerate anymore of these posts. I know if no action is taken, my people will be be humiliated, accused and shitted.

I still remember the racism I faced when I landed up in US from India. Sometimes in UK too. I was unable to do anything at that time. But not anymore!

~raven, Sep 5, 2011 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  10. gb-translation

gb-translation Member

Best Answers:
    Where was the ad? Why not contact the poster and ask?

gb-translation, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  11. recraig2

recraig2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This thread was not started to complain about or analyze one specific ad. Actually, as I think I said, it was an example of the many ads that come across this way. Some here took it to mean that I was upset with Indians, but as I indicated, I have no concern which race the poster is. They could be English for all I care. It doesn't change the issue that I wanted to discuss and we have discussed it pretty well. I think there have been some good points made, along with the ranting from people who didn't read the posts in the thread before writing.

Thank you for the suggestion. I wasn't upset about missing out on work or anything because of the racism expressed in the ad. You could say it was the straw that broke the camel's back for my tolerance of this kind of racism being expressed in ads. So I did the most reasonable thing and opened a thread on the matter, to see if I was missing something.

Actually, the fine points of a culture are great to discuss. Love it! BUT not here. If it is irrelevant to our discussion then I really don't care about it here in this context. That makes no one a bigot. Also, I have conceded to some points as they have been well made.

I think that those who are looking to harass someone will just find their post reported to the Admin, as is appropriate. Name calling and getting personal in our discussion of such a serious topic might be considered harassment. Please let's stick to the thread topic. It's a good one, a useful one to everyone on DP, and if treated seriously can prove quite productive.

Well said Grant. If the person is unwilling to post the requirements of the job and instead makes some racist requirement then it is racist, regardless of their intent. Let the best person have the job, based on the ACTUAL requirements. If the only ones who meet those happen to be Indian or whatever, then so be it. Let the work fall to the best suited.

Thanks. That distinction between race and "native speaker" from a certain nation was addressed earlier in the thread. Asking for a native speaker of English is in fact a skill requirement, not a racist one, don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
    recraig2, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  12. recraig2

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are probably right, Vijay. Thank you. :) Reliability is extremely important in this business, isn't it?

recraig2, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  13. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Some may think that you dismiss "the fine points of a culture" as irrelevant because they don't conform to your own opinions and prejudices.

Who's that directed at?
    Are you saying that its OK for you to label anyone who requires Indians only as racists (and those that post that they disagree "lame and Logs"), but if anyone labels you as anything, its suddenly harassment? and will be reported?.
    In my opinion, that sounds like a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. :)

Anyway. Considering this is an opinion piece about whether certain thread titles should be allowed on DP, shouldn't it be moved to Suggestions & Feedback? Failing that, P&R or General chat?
    I can't see why its in copywriting.

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  14. recraig2

Best Answers:
    Um, because it's about copywriting, actually and is not an "opinion" piece. It is a discussion. This is exactly where you've gone wrong.

Oh, and logs refers to those who would not take the time to read what was posted before posting the same thing all over again. None of my general criticisms about poor forum practice were directed at particular individuals in name calling or degrading comments, as was the harassment targeted at me.

As for not agreeing with someone who believes differently, that is exactly anyone's right in this world. However, since you missed the point of this thread in the first place, I understand why you think this. You thought it was an opinion piece, but it was initiated as a discussion piece. A few have come here assuming before reading, that it was an opinion thread. That is what set these individuals apart from the rest and manifested in harassment from a very few select individuals. It was due to misreading at the start.

Thank you James for your input on the matter.

recraig2, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  15. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is it racist to point out that Indians flooding the copywriting and web design market have turned out poor product for employers? I don't think so. I know enough business owners and freelancers who both have used east asian freelancers for assignments. In nearly ever instance they were disappointed with the results of the job. Two cancelled before it was delivered due to poor communications and the inability to meet milestones.

It's not racist to state a trend like this. It has nothing to do with individuals and has everything to do with a business paradigm shift. By ignoring that this shift doesn't exist you're exclusing information that's important to your buisness.

chant, Sep 11, 2011 IP
  16. Hybrisil

Hybrisil Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, all in all, it seems a little unfair to be excluded from a work opportuntiy for any of the above reasons.

Hybrisil, Sep 12, 2011 IP
  17. bharatmax

bharatmax Member

Best Answers:
    This thread has more than hundred replies. Now, Tell me my friend ..What do you think now ? was any answer convincing to you ? describe it briefly .So we can have conclusion about your view.

bharatmax, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  18. dkent555

dkent555 Member

Best Answers:
    In response to the OP:

I think you're an idiot. You come on here to complain about someone being racist when they clearly weren't.

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN - therefore it is not RACE RELATED!

Most of us say "Indian's only" to describe and put across a CLEAR MESSAGE.

Would you give an English writing job to an Indian? I wouldn't. I've given countless chances to many different Indians to provide written English for my business and clients, and they fail each and every time. Therefore I always put "ENGLISH must be your first language". This then narrows it down to those who are simply more QUALIFIED for the job.

Stop causing havoc on Digital Point, you know full well that people don't intend to be racist. Again, racism is about the color of someone's skin.

NOW STOP COMPLAINING...

dkent555, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  19. bharatmax

bharatmax Member

Best Answers:
    Its really harsh my friend.I think he just confused so much.

bharatmax, Sep 14, 2011 IP
  20. recraig2

Best Answers:
    Let me restate, since some are very confused. The thread title is "Racist? 'Indians Only'"

Notice the question mark, indicating a question. For those who do not understand the subtlety, the meaning is to ask a question, leaving it open for discussion. It does not make a statement or declaration of any sort.

The second part is a quote, but has been stated repeatedly in this thread, it is an example of what can be found in many ads posted here on DP. Putting these together we have a question about whether or not posting an ad with this kind of phrase is racist.

It would be nice to see people not revert to harassment, including the PM that was sent to me practically threatening me and making personal attacks. Please follow the forum rules. This is a valid question to ask and a good one to debate. Thank you for the participation of everyone who has tried grappling with this. Obviously it is not easy.

recraig2, Sep 14, 2011 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.