1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help needed! Laptop Freeze after upgrading memories....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reivand, Aug 20, 2011.

Laptop spec:U41SV-Silver, core i5, 500GB SATA, 2GB DDR3 mem, Nvidia GT540M, Optimus Technology

the problem is:

*I purchased Corsair CMSO4GB X2 (8GB total) memories and installed to my laptop, after booting to windows suddenly the laptop is hang and there was a lot of strange colors on the displays (looks like a broken video cards problem, but this is not the case).

*After that i take out one of the ram and booting again, the problem is gone! then i switch to another one and the results was the same...the problem is gone...

*i guess it was timing problem with the laptop.

my question is:

*is anyone has the same problem?

*is there are some kind of patch? (ASUS don't have solution about this).

Thanks!

reivand, Aug 20, 2011 IP
  2. reivand

reivand Peon

Best Answers:
    well i guess no one knows then...thanks anyway!

The problem is gone when i change my sodimm from corsair 8GB into g-skill 8GB...it runs fine now...

So to anybody who buy this stupid laptop (ASUS U41SV), this is the solution if you want to avoid freezing problems...

You can either use G-SKILL or CRUCIAL memory both of them runs fine without problems..don't bother asking ASUS (they never answer, either they don't have the solution, they don't want to answer, or they were just good on sales but sucks on support...don't know ask them if you want to know..) or your countries ASUS Service Centre because they don't know anything, if at least they know the problem then GOOD, but the only solution is:

USE EITHER G-SKILL or CRUCIAL memory if you want to maximize the ram on this stupid laptop...or you can wait for ASUS release a BIOS to fix the timing problem, in other words make this stupid laptop not stupid anymore...

i advice everyone be more careful next time when buying notebook...research first then buy only when you are sure about the product..

......sigh....gonna sell the corsair now....

reivand, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  3. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check the specs. If the maximum RAM the laptop can hold is 4GB, putting 8GB in it will cause a problem. (It's based on the number of address lines in the RAM sockets, not on what sticks you can fit into the sockets.)

Rukbat, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  4. jamesmarks

jamesmarks Peon

Best Answers:

2 Things you should check -

1st - dose you laptop support 8 GB ram ...
    2nd - Are both the RAM having SAME frequency (mhz)

1 of these problems you are facing ... i think you should check & if your RAMs are having same frequency then may b ur laptop dosent support 8 gigs of ram

jamesmarks, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  5. reivand

reivand Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Off course this laptop support 8GB ram, the specification said so "up to 8gb memory".
    2. Off course both ram is have same frequency because the one that i bought is "kit" module (one package contain two stick of corsairs)

before i bought the ram i already run check of the frequency based on the original ram, so the conclusion is this: until ASUS release a BIOS update this laptop will stay stupid forever...

thanks anyway for the feedback, jamesmarks!

reivand, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  6. jamesmarks

jamesmarks Peon

Best Answers:
    ohkk .. :)

jamesmarks, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  7. reivand

reivand Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Off course this laptop support 8GB ram, the specification said so "UP TO 8GB memory", if this says up to 4GB memories and then i ask in HERE why when i am putting 8GB corsair the laptop freeze, that will make me the same like this laptop stupidity...

thanks anyway for the feedback Rukbat!

reivand, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  8. Warner

Warner Active Member

Best Answers:
    I see the only reason why your laptop hanged and the reason is wrong specification and characteristics.
    I had the same problem with pc and just after ten attempts of rebooting I've decided to change memories and it ran again. So don't look at specification, but do try other variants. Good luck.

Warner, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  9. reivand

reivand Peon

Best Answers:
    already did that bro...first corsair then kingston and both of them froze, one of the reasons why i ask about this here is so that i don't have to buy another stick AGAIN but thankfully those G-Skill (i try it by borrowing from my friends laptop) turns out okay...so i go with those now.

as for specification...you still need to look at the max memory that the laptop can handles bro...and for characteristic...this is the other reason why i ask about this here man...:)

thanks anyway for the feedback Warner!

reivand, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  10. StyXoN

StyXoN Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it compatible with your motherboard?

StyXoN, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  11. reivand

reivand Peon

Best Answers:
    how do you know if the memory is compatible with the laptop motherboard in the first time? do you know the methods? i think there is now way knowing about memory compatibility with the motherboards aside from looking at the laptop detailed spec, especially RAM specifications or borrow your friends memories and try it out (i choose the later before i buy it again for the 3rd times).

this is the first time i got a problem like this and as far as i know the only way to fix it is on my previous post...BUT if you know a way to see whether the RAM is compatible or not with the motherboard then please post it here...it will help others that has the same problems like me...

Thanks for the feedback StyXoN!

reivand, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  12. jamesmarks

jamesmarks Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude Ram is not the problem - If you have 2 SAME RAMs, and when you run your laptop with 1 RAM and it works that means the RAM is compitable with ur MotherBoard
    I would like you to suggest that you ask any local Computer Dealer about your problem. It is the best way to get all your queries solved.
    May be there is some problem in your Motherboard Slot or etc.

jamesmarks, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  13. reivand

reivand Peon

Best Answers:
    well even ASUS don't know about this problem they told me to "load the default bios"...:confused:, as for any local computer dealer....no they are the same. I had this experience once with my PC and the problem is on "TIMING".

for the PC everything runs fine once i updated the bios, so i think it is the same with this laptop. There is nothing wrong with the slot man this is brand new laptop and i also already returned it for replacement and the result are the same so no the problem is not with the slot if so; my brand new laptop and the replacement are all defect product then? i doubt that...

the best solution so far is use either G-SKILL or CRUCIAL, it never freeze and works perfectly fine now...

thanks for the thought jamesmarks!

reivand, Sep 1, 2011 IP